The status of OTFCC

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

The status of OTFCC

Post by Nevermore »

In the past few weeks, it was rumored that 3H evidently lost the license for holding OTFCC. With all the trouble regarding the exclusives not being finished in time, convention registration quarrels and what not, many fans viewed this as a "good" thing to happen after all.

Well... as of not, the former URL to the OTFCC website now points directly to Hasbro's Transformers site.

Looks like 3H are in fact out of the game.

edit:

Confirmation in the form of a letter from Glen posted at TFormers:

http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=3452&mode=flat
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Meant "as of now?"

I heard (from convention atendees on this site) that there was speculation even during the convention whether or not there would be another one next year.

It's a shame if we won't have another one or if it'll be a completely sterilized event.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

This is one case where I wouldn't blame Hasbro for tucking an event which they were heavily involved in (exclusives, etc) back under their wing. The way some things were handled by the organisers could reflect badly on themselves.

Hasbro has more than a few people who love the property, so I'd give 'em a chance and see what they can come up with if such be their plan.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Just real quick, so I can keep up. "OTFCC" and "3H" stand for what, exactly?

Thanks.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Official TransFormers Collectors' Convention (current cache in Google)

3H is the company which ran it in conjunction with Hasbro.
deej
Protoform

Post by deej »

Originally posted by Brimstone
Just real quick, so I can keep up. "OTFCC" and "3H" stand for what, exactly?

Thanks.

OTFCC = Official Transformers Fanclub Convention ? (or something like that)..

3H = the company that had the rights to hold said convention, and by the sounds of things couldn't manage a group of monkeys out of a wet paper bag...
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

While some fans rather associate the abbrevation with "Official Transformers Cash-Grabbers' Crap", the official name is "Official Transformers Collectors' Collection", the successsor to Botcon.

Botcon was originally organized by 3H Productions (Karl & Jon Hartman and Glen Hallit).
Then Glen took over completely, kicked the Hartmans out of their own convention, but in return, they took the name "Botcon" with them and left Glen with the heavily complicated name "Official Transformers Collectors' Collection".

This year, the Hartans held one last (?) unofficial Botcon which was praised by many fans as "better than OTFCC" (also called "Oatf***" by some).

This year's OTFCC had several major problems, including registration/location troubles, exclusives not getting finished in time and some post-Botcon legal stuff that was also blamed on Glen (without any real evidence, mind you). To sum it up, Glen is not the most popular person among the fandom.

Looks like Hasbro addressed the consequences by ending business with 3H (which should effectively be "1H" by now).

The big question now is: Who's gonna organize the next convention?

NOTE: Any opinions and tendencies mentioned in the above post represent the personal opinions of a heavily vocal part of the fandom, not my own.
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Confirmation in the form of a letter from Glen to the community. Thanks to TFormers, as usual.

I guess now we can just wait.
Flec's selling a lot of RID, Armada, and Energon, and a few G1 toys. 'S all I'm sayin'.
The TFArchive RPG - "the most popular part of the site[!]" - Skywarp. Darn tootin'.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't been around the community long enough to have an opinion on all that...it's hard to say. That letter was pretty sad, though. As once being part of an "official" fan group once upon a time for Hasbro (or Wizards of the Coast...same dif anymore)...I can understand a little of probably what he's gone through with the on-line community.

Still...hopefully in the long run, this will turn out to be better for Transformers and the fans on the whole.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Hound

Post by Hound »

Well ****!
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Do you think Hasbro will give it to the other two H's seeing as their Botcon was seen as better than OTFCC?
RiD Megatron as Beast Wars Megatron

I don't think that would work. The others sound good, though.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Hasbro update
3H Productions and OTFCC

Hasbro is aware of the issues that fans have experienced with 3H Productions and we continue to make every effort to ensure that 3H Productions fulfills its obligation to fans.

The Transformers collectors community is very important to Hasbro. We understand that there is much speculation on the Internet and we appreciate your patience as this matter is resolved.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Considering the huge delays to Wreakers and Universe this isn't totally shocking... Though the Wreakers comic won't be a great loss, it's a shame the Universe one is canned as it at least had potential.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Gesani
Protoform

Post by Gesani »

It is sad that #h Wont be hosting OTFCC anymore. I know a lot of people are upset with toy delays and espically the the delays with the plates, and everyone blames glen for it. When i talke to some of his Staff at the COnvention i was told mny of the reasons for the delays and they were things Glen had no control over. The PVC Swywarp for fan club members was delayed becuse the manufacture who told 3H that they would produce them in Limited Quanities decided to up the minimum Amout when the final order was placed. Hopefully by know everyone know the reason for the plate delays... if not; During production Hasbro decided that people should be able to eat off of the collecter plates. Meaning that the plaste already made had to be destroyed and the hunt for food safe ink in the same brillent colors had to be found so the plate could be made.. Sentinal Maximus was delayed due to production problems.. meaning that another toy was overly popular and needed to have a longer production run delaying a exclusive run.Plaus the boxes are still being printed.. unless 3H is printing them off thier home PC's i dont think they have control over that.

since Hasbro pulled thier privlages of the conventin it is possible hasbro will organize the con themselves... The Hasbro crew at OTFCC did seem a touch distracted, as they didnt wow us or try to wow us as they did with OTFCC '03.. now the question is what gonna happen to all of us who signed up for the "fan Club"?
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Gesani: There was a note at some point reading that fan club members will have their membership either expire on 12/31/04 (if you signed up on or before that date in 2003) or exactly one year from the point you signed up. Also, members are garaunteed four comics during their membership time, even if they don't get them within their time signed up as a member. IE: they could be delayed for some, but they'd receive them via Hasbro (I think)

I've been searching through ALL the boards since this news hit, and I can't remember where I read that (2005 boards, maybe?) And who knows if they'll actually follow through.

As for Glenn, it sounds like most of the issues were preventable. A collector's plate should be designed from the beginning as if you were going to eat off it, even if 99% of the collectors wouldn't dream of such a thing. I mean, if the plates went through normally as Glen would have originally wanted before Hasbro came in, I can imagine paint-chipping/wear issues within a year. See how many fans complain about it then, and you have a lose-lose situation. So do it right from the beginning.

SM doesn't have it's boxes made yet? How the hell long did Glen and co. take before deciding "Hey, we should start on those boxes, you know..." He had a year. If the toy was delayed and that's the main cause, sure, nothing you can do about it.

The Skywarp issue, I Don't know how that all happened. Groups can decide to charge more if it cost more than originally predicted to make the toys in the first place. But I don't know the exact situation there beyond what you've explained.

Sorry, but Glen knew a lot was riding on this convention. Last year (2003) He had to apologize for some of the shortcomings of that convention, and that 2004 was going to be even better. To botch everything at this point is going to take a lot more than circumstance. All these other conventions since '94, and it's THIS year that suddenly everything that goes wrong isn't Glen's fault? I'm sure there were things outside of his control, but I'm sure there were things that were well within it.

Last note: Glen said he lost $150,000 between now and 1997. Unless he blew that all in the last two years, it sounds like he's trying to suggest that they were losing money since '97. So why wrestle a company away from the Hartman brothers two years ago that has been a loss of revenue the last 5 years previous to that? It just sounds like Glen is playing the sympathy card here, and it isn't all very truthful.

Well, whatever. Hope Glen is happy doing whatever else he ends up doing. Hope we get excellent replacements for whenever the next convention is held.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Pun-3X
As for Glenn, it sounds like most of the issues were preventable. A collector's plate should be designed from the beginning as if you were going to eat off it

No way! That would make sense, and we can't have that, can we? :p
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I'll have to agree with everything Pun-3X said there, makes some good sense. Heard from a lot of people that it just wasn't all that great this year, which doesn't make that much sense since this was supposed to be some big, 20th anniversary bash.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
Heard from a lot of people that it just wasn't all that great this year, which doesn't make that much sense since this was supposed to be some big, 20th anniversary bash.

Even Furman said it wasn't up to par.

I didn't think it was that bad. It was certainly better than the previous year. I wasn't blown away either but I had a good time.

I agree it should've been better but I can't really comment on who should get the blame for it. I don't really know what all the problems were. I'm not a part of the fan club and I wasn't interested in the exclusives or lack of. The change in convention sites wasn't that big a deal to me as I didn't stay in a hotel plus it was only across the street from the Hyatt so big deal.

Right now I just don't give a **** who's at fault. It doesn't matter. I'm more concerned about there being a convention next year...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Roadstripe
Protoform

Post by Roadstripe »

How much sharper than a serpent's tooth is a fandom?

Ethics aside, Mr. Hallit's big problem was going too fast too soon. The focus should have been on getting the convention situation stabilized first, then worry about getting the comics worked out. Once those were set up and going properly, then the Fan Club could be started up if there was time and energy to do it, waiting until this year's convention, at the earliest.

He did have some interesting ideas for future exclusives (though I, too, harbor doubts about RiD Megs as BW Megs). However, if the hypothetical future organizers of any future conventions have any wits about them, they'll use the Defensor mold. And, then, maybe add on an Ultra Magnus remold the following year to combine with him. :D
Garand

Post by Garand »

TO ARMS!

The con was more then jsut voice actrs, dealers, and exclusives. It was about hanging out with freinds I only see once a year.

I think Glern did a better job this year, and was turning things around. I will hate to see OTFCC go.

I have a crazy idea.. Jinrai knows what it is.. Hell or high water, they're will be a convention or at least a general gathering next year..

If you've enjoyed OTFCC, or will now not get a chance to go, email those pigdogs in Rhode Island.

I was sleepy.. now I'm mad.. beyond mad actully..