Gimmicks you'd like to see make a comeback

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Warcry

Gimmicks you'd like to see make a comeback

Post by Warcry »

Over the last few years, we've seen gimmicks that appeared in earlier lines reappear, albeit often with a different spin. Things like Minicons, combiners, and even to a lesser extent the Energon weapons can be traced back to G1, G2 or other lines. I can only imagine this current 'recycling' of old gimmicks will continue in TF:Cybertron, and that got me thinking on what gimmicks they should recycle.

1) I'd like to see citybots make a comeback. It's not very likely, but with big bots like Unicron and Omega being pumped out it's not impossible either. There hasn't been a proper base-type TF released outside Japan...well, since Countdown, I guess. I'd love to see what a Metroplex designed with modern technology would look like, and I don't imagine I'm alone in that.

2) I'd like to see what modern technology could do with the Pretender concept. I can't say for sure they'd be able to make good figures even now, but it's certainly worth trying. OK, that's BS. I only want this because I want to see a new version of Bludgeon. But still...

3) Six-changers. Preferably ones that don't suck. That last bit might be asking a bit much, though.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

I like the Pretenders, even if most of them have ugly shells and seem to transform into folded-up robots. I'd love to see new life breathed into this concept.

I always liked the Headmasters concept, so I wouldn't mind seeing that make a larger comeback. As long as the Action Master gimmick is avoided, I'll be happy. :)
Clay

Post by Clay »

AM Devestator could bend at the knees, though, so it wasn't all bad...
Gesani
Protoform

Post by Gesani »

hmm since we are seeing the return of Head Masters with energn Omega Supreme, i think it would be interesting to see new target Masters as well..
RID Scourge

Re: Gimmicks you'd like to see make a comeback

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Warcry
2) I'd like to see what modern technology could do with the Pretender concept. I can't say for sure they'd be able to make good figures even now, but it's certainly worth trying. OK, that's BS. I only want this because I want to see a new version of Bludgeon. But still...

:up:

Good concept, bad execution (although, I do like a few). I'd like to see it done as well.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I'd also like to see a TF with a base mode in the $50 range. I'd have been more pleased with Omega Supreme had it had an alternate mode like that.
Prons
Protoform

Re: Gimmicks you'd like to see make a comeback

Post by Prons »

Originally posted by Warcry
I'd love to see what a Metroplex designed with modern technology would look like, and I don't imagine I'm alone in that.

You ain't alone there buddy!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Off course, we've kind off had Armada/Energon toys who could be called Headmasters (Overload) and Targetmasters (Leader 1 making a gun for Megs), so I guess Pretendewrs is the route to go...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I would've have say the Pretenders too since the Mini-Cons in some ways brought back the Head, Target, Power, and Micro
masters back.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Gimmicks I would like to see make a comeback?

I would definitely agree with the City bots. I'd love to see what can be done today with bots like Metroplex and Trypticon. I would also love to see a brand new 2-foot tall Fort Max design that could pass the 3 ft drop test and have articulation out the wazoo.

I would also like to see the Headmasters and Targetmasters make a return since I thought the concept was pretty neat. I know they already did a double-headmaster with Sideways/Rapid Run but the figure itself wasn't that great. If they could do it with better figure designs, then I'm all for it. Now that I think about it, Powermasters would also be an interesting comeback.

I wouldn't care for Pretenders to make a return because I don't see the point of hiding a 40-foot-tall robot in a 40-foot-tall human shell. If they were actual human size, then I wouldn't mind seeing that again.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by Civ
I wouldn't care for Pretenders to make a return because I don't see the point of hiding a 40-foot-tall robot in a 40-foot-tall human shell. If they were actual human size, then I wouldn't mind seeing that again.

In Masterforce, the Pretender shells were human sized, allowing the Cybertron Pretenders to blend into human society.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Alpha Trion
In Masterforce, the Pretender shells were human sized, allowing the Cybertron Pretenders to blend into human society.

**dislodges foot from mouth**

This is what I get for not watching Masterforce. When I wrote that, I was referring to the G1 comic arc. I forgot the pretenders were on television in Japan.
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

this will sound odd but id like a better executble color changers.
not ones that have bad moulds and you need to bath with hot water,just the gimmick itself.i bet that with today's technolegy there is an easier way of makinga tf a color changer.
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

I've hoped better done pretenders for years.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Civ
It's not a necessity that they'd be human, though...I'd rather see robotic guys like Thunderwing or outlandish horror monsters like Bludgeon and Bugly, TBH.
Civ

Post by Civ »

I was never really keen on the idea of using huge monsters or outlandish characters because they don't really tend to fit with the robots in disguise gimmick. They're disguised, yes, but what good is a disguise if they don't blend in anywhere? Bludgeon was a great character and all, but his disguise would't have blended in anywhere except on a movie set. Thunderwing was also great but again, he stood out unless he was on a planet of people or creatures that looked like him. I always thought if the name of the faction is Decepticon, then they should be more than deceptive personality-wise and moral-wise, they should also be deceptive disguise-wise as well to go along with the whole Transformer gimmick.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Civ
I was never really keen on the idea of using huge monsters or outlandish characters because they don't really tend to fit with the robots in disguise gimmick. They're disguised, yes, but what good is a disguise if they don't blend in anywhere?
To keep RAAT and Circuit Breaker from kicking their ass yet again, maybe? I mean, it worked for Skullgrin.

Or, from a more practical perspective, to scare the crap out of the enemy.
Civ

Post by Civ »

I know the Pretenders scared humans but did they ever actually scare another Transformer? To the best of my knowledge, I don't think it did. If they were designed to give them added protection, then why not give them more human or animal-like appearances and skip the whole horror/cicus look particularly if the suits never really scared their main enemy?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Civ
I know the Pretenders scared humans but did they ever actually scare another Transformer? To the best of my knowledge, I don't think it did. If they were designed to give them added protection, then why not give them more human or animal-like appearances and skip the whole horror/cicus look particularly if the suits never really scared their main enemy?
Well, if they're just going for the protection angle, then it comes down to a matter of personal preference...the owners can shape their shells into an external representation of their personalities. Or just something they think looks cool. Either way.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

While the monster shells are fairly ilogical in terms of disguise, they are a lot more visualy intresting than boring old humans... You could always rationalise it by saying shells like Bugly's are based on aliens who's planets they've been to...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!