Castle in the Sky

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Lambda prime
Protoform

Castle in the Sky

Post by Lambda prime »

I saw this anime film today, Castle in the Sky, and it was made in 1986 but it's being listed as a premiere. The strange thing is that I remember seeing it years ago (over a decade) on TV one morning.
Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Brilliant, brilliant BRILLIANT film.

I recall watching it in the late 80's with my sisters and we both loved it and hunted it down for years back when it was still Laputa. I was all set to buy someones copied version through guy on imdb when I saw Princess Mononoke starting to be hyped and talk of Miyazaki's genius, so I waited with faith my chance was coming.

Amazing when you watch a film so good you acn thern remember it for years. The other film I recall with a similar experience was when The Wings of Honneamise was randomly played in '98. I stayed up late to watch it (I should have been revising my A-Level chemistry-****ed that one up) an love it dearly. I still have that on video as I have never found iy on DVD. Beautiful story. Not a The Wings of Honneamise but I think he might have some infulence on it.

Some other Miyazaki films I love are Kiki's delivery service (I love it more than Laputa), Spirited Away (Heavy viewing though but great) and Nauasacca alley of the wind. Many of the otehrs are great but those I find are his best. They are nothing alike but Miyazki never does the smae type of film more than once.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

I only first saw not long ago. I remember finding it a bit on the predictable side even for a Miyazaki film. And it campares quite poorly with the other films which uses various elements from it and takes them further. I'm not sure if you could call it a 'sandbox' film, but that's the impression i got... but maybe i was in a funny mood that day...

don't get me wrong though, i think it's a really good film, just not as inspiring as the others. but then, it does date back a bit. darn it, i'm having a conversation with myself...

anyway, thumbs up to the guy for making fantastic heart-warming universes. i prefer to watch them as documentaries than as films TBH. the row of terraced houses in the middle of untouched countryside and the whole steam-without-the-punk thing is dead neat. it's kind of like nostalgia on film i suppose... if that makes sense.

off topic : porco rosso for the win.

edit : on the stangely memorable films level, i've only seen kurasawas' "seven samurai" twice, and it's still my favorite film of all time :)
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Well if you are looking for any of them in dvd the entire Miyazaki back catalogue has been released, as part of the Studio Ghibli Collection, most are going for around £9.99 on Play.com nowadays i think.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"