Spotlight: Prowl 2-page Preview

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

Spotlight: Prowl 2-page Preview

Post by zigzagger »

2-page sneak peek of Transformers Spotlight: Prowl @ Ryall Time.

ImageImage
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Ummm.... seems to be following up from the aftermath of AHM. My guess is that this'll be another issue that tries to gel the rapidly fraying continuity together.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Okay, the panel with the statue of liberty was amusing.

Hmm. Can't decide whether to wait to see what reviews are like before ordering this one. Reminds me, I probably owe Steve an email that consists of something more than a "I'm not too terribly bothered about refunds, but please don't send me this crap" plea, and to throw the issues towards whatever spotlights are announced.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Denyer wrote:Okay, the panel with the statue of liberty was amusing.
Why was that amusing? Am I missing something?
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Probably because it looks like a Planet of the Apes reference maybe?
Raze
Protoform

Post by Raze »

zigzagger wrote:Probably because it looks like a Planet of the Apes reference maybe?
Which got me thinking the final pane will be "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"

If only it was a parody of Planet of the Apes...... I'm disappointed now.
Wanted Used or New -
Henkei Classics Dirge, Thrust. Universe Hound (Ravage not needed)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Brimstone wrote:Why was that amusing?
Besides the Spaceballs PotA reference, it just looks incongruous...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Aye, it says something when even Bay can (so far) resist the Anti-Monument Laser and IDW can't.

I also like the way IDW can't decide between streamlining Transformers into something you don't need a degree in Canonical Scienticity to simply read in order with whoring out as many books as they can to compensate for their reliance on licensed properties and general mishandling of any golden goose that lands in their laps. Shit, Prowl has dialogue, give him a Spotlight toot sweet. Christ, Ironhide's doing something! Get me a limited series, stat!

Basically they're ahead of Dreamwave because they're paying people, aren't they?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Aye, it says something when even Bay can (so far) resist the Anti-Monument Laser and IDW can't.
Dunno. He trashed one of The Pyramids (lucky the Fallen built it on the planet in our system that was inhabited, eh? wait... wrong thread...)
Basically they're ahead of Dreamwave because they're paying people, aren't they?
Pretty much.

And because Dreamwave never basically gave their best writer/artist free reign to just have an epic UK comics love-in. If Wreckers continues to be as geektastic as this, it may redeem them entirely for All Fail McCarthy...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

War Within? I mean, just because Furman's inability to write a structured, disciplined limited series shot it in the balls didn't mean they didn't try.
Halfshell wrote:Dunno. He trashed one of The Pyramids
Pfff, there're loads of them.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:War Within? I mean, just because Furman's inability to write a structured, disciplined limited series shot it in the balls didn't mean they didn't try.
Not like this. Part of what makes Last Stand, er, stand out is that it's clearly being written in continuity with what's come before, by somebody who's actually read what's come before (I know this should seem obvious, but IDW have put out several comics that probably weren't even read by the person writing them).

War Within was basically completely separate, wasn't it? I admit I can't actually remember much about it (there was Bludgeon, somebody who was on fire and accusations that Andy Wildman's really an awesome artist) but it didn't really do what you'd call "fitting snugly into the main story."

Actually, I retract what I said earlier. LSOTW will redo the psychological hurt caused by AHM, but ideally amends won't be made until I get my fifty quid back. I could have bought ten real books for that.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

And half our exciting preview: Some cars sitting about not doing much. Woot.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Yeah, what a pointless preview. Have to wonder why they bothered uploading the 2 pages.

Cant say I'm keen on the returns of the spotlights, now there's an on-going. Surely any little story can be a bridging issue between arcs (or bookend issues like thundercrackers little insight in ongoing #4)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:And half our exciting preview: Some cars sitting about not doing much. Woot.
Lay off the spoilers, dude.

Odds on that being a heavily dialogued exposition scene? Or just a shot of some cars sitting about?
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I prefer the 'cars sitting about' angle. I like the large single panel & the police presence make me feel safe.

Also I'm hoping there's no text for the entire issue. That'd be in keeping with Mr. Prowl's character, I think.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

As long as it isn't as ff'ing lame as the Metroplex one, I might buy it.
That one was all like "Welcome back to Transformers, here's a kick in the teeth" to me.
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

See? Mart hasn't read any of the previous IDW stuff and even he knows that Metroplex was rubbish.

Sooner or later, you'll all come around.
minimus-minor

Post by minimus-minor »

I'm in two minds about this. On one hand there's E J Su's awesome artwork. I always loved his work on the -ation seriess. And the new guy's coloring is nicely done - kinda gives it a Whedon TV show style which is nice.
On the other hand, the pages have little substance and it'd be a lot better if we were at least given a five page preview. And the inconsistent-with-ongoing designs don't help at all.
Freedom is not dispensed here, sentient fools, only death! *BLAM*
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Halfshell wrote:War Within was basically completely separate, wasn't it?
Yes, the first volume was meant to be separated by any existing continuity.

But then, when Dreamwave decided to change the course for the G1 books ("War & Peace" by McDonough instead of that thing by Lee and Sarracini with Optimus falling in a cliff while Spike shouted at him), they also decided to shoehorn "War Within" in continuity. Hence, some retcons: the Triplechangers in volume 1 were not triplechangers anymore.

Or at least this is how I got it.
I admit I can't actually remember much about it (there was Bludgeon, somebody who was on fire and accusations that Andy Wildman's really an awesome artist) but it didn't really do what you'd call "fitting snugly into the main story."
That was "The Dark Ages", and it was meant to be in continuity with McDonough's books.
Grayfox
Protoform

Post by Grayfox »

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopi ... 290#170290
&quot wrote:Hi, guys, seems like a lot of talk about WHY Prowl changed from a story reason and IF PROWL SHOULD change from a "Hey, we really like the take on him that we've seen" stand point.

While, I can't know for sure how you're all going to react to the SPOTLIGHT and then to
SPOILER! (select to read)
LSOTW #5 where he appears again
, I do think the first part will be cleared up and I hope to your satisfaction. I think it's a good, character driven story.

To the second question, SHOULD PROWL CHANGE, I tend to agree with the sentiment that the cold and calculating Prowl is a good take on the character. My hope as Prowl's editor (hmm, that sounds weird) is that you'll see an addition to his character, not that he's totally scrubbed and someone different now. He's still the thoughtful and calculating guy that you know, he's just also got something else going on in his brain--something that causes a little more internal conflict. There are two sides to Prowl, and you'll see why soon. Still the same character though.

As for folks thinking we're back-pedaling, I don't think we are. We admitted that something didn't work. Isn't back-pedaling me saying, "We meant to do that! We wanted to screw up his character!" We miscalculated and we're course correcting. That's completely normal in comics writing and editing. Happens on every Marvel and DC book too. Just very few people bother to own up to it. From where I'm sitting, we're being pretty darn honest here.