• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2018-06-14, 08:56 PM   #6081
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
Thanks again, ganon. That does a look better. It actually looks better than Legends Groove on Defensor. I'll have to pick one up if I see him. Of course, then I'll have to double up on more limbs to finish him. Dammit, ganon, you just cost me a hundred bucks.
I do what I can!

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-15, 01:31 AM   #6082
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
I do what I can!
At least I've talked myself out of paying whatever Unit-3 costs aftermarket to do Universe Defensor.

Clay - I think you're right.

This isn't technically a new Transformers acquisition, but I did find a couple die-cast pullback toy cars laying on the ground in front of the supermarket this week. One is a Subaru Impreza, Binaltech Smokescreen's alt-mode. Here's a pic, next to a Hot-Wheels scale Lancia Startos I found at a flea market a few years ago.

The other car was a Lamborghini Avocado, or whatever AoE Lockdown's alt-mode is. It's orange with Italian flag stripes. The paint on this one's kind of dinged up from laying on the ground so long. I may try painting it grey at some point.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smokejack.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	11816  

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-17, 04:28 AM   #6083
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

POTP Elita-One during a 20% off sale.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 10:59 PM   #6084
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

I hit quite afew stores and a flea market this past weekend.

SS Grimlock, Stinger, and TLK Steelbane - I've only opened Grimlock so far yet. I planned to skip Steelbane since I already have Skullitron. But, he looks really good, and now I have proof that Target got TLK Deluxes past Wave 1.

Other movie Grims I've owned transformed symmetrically, with the bot arms forming the dino legs G1-style, and the shoulder armor coming together tforming the head. SS Grim transforms asymmetrically, like Scorn. One arm, with weapon in lieu of hand, forms the tail. The other arm forms the head. The bot legs become the dino legs. This results in the best proportioned, but least coherent, Grim dino yet.

Up close, you can see that the dino isn't a solid object, but a mass of barely connected bot parts in the shape of a dino. This is especially clear with the bot fist in the dino neck. It's not too noticable at any distance, as long as he's not in front of a light source. The drybrushing, and general movie-verse spiky appearance help camaflogue the gaps. Having an Optimus ride him, with Op's legs covering the dino neck, helps a lot, too. It's quite a good dino mode, considering the bot mode was clearly the priority.

PCC Searchlight, Smolder - Neither has their minicon, and Searchlight's missing his rotors, so his altmode's a sub, now. Otherwise, they're in great shape. I now own 5 PCC torsos and no limbs.

Construct-bots Ironhide (missing head) and Translucent Optimus Prime (missing head and chestplate). I bought them for parts in case I get into C-bots again. I was out of fists. Plus, they came with Robot Heroes Shrapnel.

Authentics Grimlock is pretty damn great for a $10 Voyager. His only major flaw is that his dino torso seems to make good looking bot wings a higher priority than being a dino torso. The dino neck isn't flush with the dino body, and the dino torso hangs over the gold bot torso like a gut. The dino has a great shape from the side, but looks chubby from the front.

Other flaws are minor. His bot headsculpt looks a little like a bulldog. His dino head is one piece, no moving jaw. His dino mode has barely any paint; the aforementioned dino torso hanging over the gold bot torso emphasises this. The plastic's a bit rubbery, but the give helps let the bot wings fold over the bot shoulders during transformation.

Bot articulation is ball jointed shoulders, elbows, hips, and head; hinged knees. This puts him above Walgreen's figures, which cost 70% more. Dino articulation is ball jointed hips and knees; up-and-down shoulder pivots.

He has no weapon, but neither do NuRiD Grimlock, Energon Grimlock, or PotP Grimlock. Dammit, Hasbro.

I'm very satsified with what I got for what I paid. I'd be happier if Hasbro had designed this for the $17 Walgreen's line instead of the $10 discount line, and put the extra cash into a dino jaw and deco. And painting the bot fists, which are the same grey as the arms. Though, this does help them not stand out when the form the dino heels, as they do not retract into the limbs.

Authentics Megatron is good, but less impressive. His tank altmode has no wheels, though wheel wells are molded into the rear treads. His head just sits there in the back of the tank, but doesn't stand out. The barrel pivots up and down, but the turret does not turn.

Bot mode looks quite good. Molded detail in the abs make it look like a red lower torso with grey components attached to it, instead of a sloid grey torso with tiny spots of red paint. He's got ball jointed shoulders, elbows, hips, knees, and head. Large, flat feet make him very easy to balance.

The head sculpt looks great, but is very small, even for the figure's size, which actually makes the figure look beefy. The tank barrel can either stay attached as an underarm cannon, or be reattached to the side of the forearm, G1 style. My only complaint with the bot mode is that it looks very flat from the side, especially compared to the broad shouldered bot seen from the front. It's like a better proportioned figure was run over by a steamroller.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Last edited by Tantrum; Yesterday at 10:46 PM. Reason: opened SS Grimlock
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote