Sparks, and protoforms

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
starlord
Protoform

Sparks, and protoforms

Post by starlord »

Are all sparks deceptions? Are all protoforms autobot? In Beast Wars and Beast Machines, all protoforms were autobots. The same is true with Transformers animated.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Hmm. I got the impression that protoforms are factionless. In Beast Wars, the Predacons don't have any protoforms with them, so just end up stealing Maximal ones and over-writing their programming. At least in the case of Blackarachnia. Inferno is governed by his beast mode, and both the Fuzors are probably the closest we get to seeing new TF life emerge - they choose their allegiance based on what's in their nature.

In Animated, the Autobots guard the protoforms, but its never stated outright that they are Autobots - just innocents. The protoforms in Animated also seem to be sparkless (or it could be that they're blanks, like the one used in BW for Transmetal Optimus) and need to be infused with life from the Allspark. Possibly.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Broadly I thought all *Transformers* are Autobots/Maximals unless they choose to be Decepticons/Protoforms, with the latter being a breakaway political ideology rather than something hard-coded into their sparks.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

It was less clear-cut in Beast Wars. The Predacons were supposedly "descendants" of the Decepticons, which implies that factions are hereditary to some degree. I suppose that any protoform that's brought online by the Preds is considered a Predacon by default? Just like how, say, the Stunticons or Constructicons were automatically branded as Decepticons when they were built in the 80s.

That isn't to say that they couldn't decide to follow their beliefs and change sides, but (outside of the small-scale war on prehistoric Earth) I'd imagine that social issues would make it impractical. If your average Maximal treats your average Predacon with the same amount of suspicion and scorn that Dinobot was on the receiving end of, you'd have to think most of them would rather go with the flow on their "natural" side instead of crossing the floor and still getting treated like an enemy.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I've never particularly liked the versions of the franchise that make them "Born that way" (oh hello ReGeneration One!). I think no protoform in inherently one or the other, but if you're born into a family of Nazis and raised on Nazi ideology not falling into that life style would be quite hard.

Mind, Transformers are of course basically born fully grown and already full of information of all sorts. So I suppose who sets the info they're birthed with plays a factor as well.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!