War Within: Dark Ages #6 (will contain spoilers)

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Bombshell

War Within: Dark Ages #6 Preview

Post by Bombshell »

Transformers: The War Within Vol. 2 # 6

Written by Simon Furman
Penciled by Andrew Wildman
Inked by Erik Sander
Colored by Dreamwave Colors

The shocking conclusion! At the very heart of the planet, the Fallen prepares to crack the seal on the Well of All Sparks, lighting CYBERTRON up like a beacon. Somehow SHOCKWAVE must convince the AUTOBOTS to bolster his all-out attack on the Fallen. before it's too late for them all.

From Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman, cover by Don Figueroa.

http://www.tfw2005.com/modules.php?name ... MediaNum=2

http://www.tfw2005.com/modules.php?name ... MediaNum=3

http://www.tfw2005.com/modules.php?name ... MediaNum=4
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Have they had previews for the other issues?

Please let there be no sign of Megs or Oppy... please, please, please...
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Denyer
Have they had previews for the other issues?

I dunno. I think there was one for #5...or #4. Wanna confirm?
Originally posted by Denyer
Please let there be no sign of Megs or Oppy... please, please, please...

Yeah. Please, please, please...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

So when is this out? Next week?
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Warcry
So when is this out? Next week?

Yes.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Hmmm...I don't know whether to be happy that I won't have to make a special trip to my comic shop to pick it up, or be upset because that means I'll have another review to write next week when my exams are finished...

Either way, thanks for the heads-up.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Hmmm...I don't know whether to be happy that I won't have to make a special trip to my comic shop to pick it up, or be upset because that means I'll have another review to write next week when my exams are finished...

I'd be happy, but that's me. And with this issue out, I'd probably be able to pick up the whole series...if my damned government check would get here.
Either way, thanks for the heads-up.

No prob. :)
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Bombshell
I'd be happy, but that's me. And with this issue out, I'd probably be able to pick up the whole series...if my damned government check would get here.

I'd recommend you do so as soon as you can. It's the best of DW's minis to date. At least, the first five issues have been...

As for me...
*flips a coin*
Looks like I'll be happy.
*goes to work on reviews*
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

I'd recommend you do so as soon as you can. It's the best of DW's minis to date. At least, the first five issues have been...

Yeah, I know. I've read them. They got 'em down at the comic store. Wanted to pick them up, but my funds at the current time didn't allow me to, since I wanted to concentrate on Armada/Energon and G1 MTMTE at the time. I was going to wait for the TPB, but then I figured, hey, I got thirty five bucks, so get it already.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Where is Metroplex? He should kick Trypticons ass Godzilla stylee.:D
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

War Within Dark Ages #6 (spoilers)

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Beware. Harsh criticism follows.

Just read it.

It was crap. Total f***** crap.

I don't know what Furmans problem is these days, but the man no longer has the ability to finish a story.

Where to begin? So many questions, and questions integral to this story, were left unawswered. Y'know, basic stuff, like:
Who is the Fallen?
What exactly is the Unbinding?
What the hell are Angles of Dissolution?
Why were those four characters chosen?
What did Jetfire DO exactly at the end that caused Primus to show up?

All this lame buildup, and Primus just shows up at the end and defeats the Fallen in two or three panels???? You gotta be f****** kiddin me. I mean, really.

And at least make Bludgeon the badass that he should be. I mean, of all the characters that take him down, it has to be Skywarp??? Skywarp!!!! And you would think the so called Chaos Trinity would use a little, you know, mystical mumbojumbo, to do battle. No, lets just hold off the Decepticons and Dinobots with some good ole fashioned laser fire.

And what's the deal with all the characters at the end suddenly deciding, "Hey, lets just close this area off and pretend it never even happened!" God forbid minds like Prowl, Jetfire, and Shockwave get a weeeee bit curious as to what cataclysmic event just took place and why. But no, lets just keep it all a big mystery until, as Shockwave very cheesily puts it at the end, "until all are one?" LOL, that was rich.

I really want to see how the Furman fans desperately attempt to drag his ass out of the fire this time.

All in my harsh opinion, of course.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

"Concluded this War Within Dark ages is, or is it?"
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I liked it. The characters were all written well and it was nothing compared to the sh*t that was the triteness of GI Joe and TF by DW.

I don't think that was Primus just showing up at the end and it didn't look to me like the Fallen was really defeated nor will we ever find out who he was. I liked that it wasn't really a conclusion but a setup for the next miniseries. Much better than just wrapping everything up really hastily and then leaving it.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
I I don't think that was Primus just showing up at the end

You don't think Primus showed up in the end? THAT is how bad this series was, you couldn't even tell what the hell even happened at the end. :wall: The point is, you shouldn't have to think about what just happened during the finale of this series. It should be clear enough to at least make out what the hell is going on. Was it Primus? Was it something else?

I apologize cause I know you liked it, and I'm glad you did, but to me it was just lousy.
Strafe

Post by Strafe »

Copied from Blacksword's post at Transfans. As for not knowing it's Primus, the Fallen says "Primus!!!" Right before he dies. You're slipping Auros. ;)

Where to begin? So many questions, and questions integral to this story, were left unawswered. Y'know, basic stuff, like:
Who is the Fallen?

An ancient Transformer turned by Unicron and imprisoned by Primus. Should have thought that was pretty obvious.
What exactly is the Unbinding?
Basically the same thing we see in Primal Scream. Waking up Primus, or more specifically in this case uncovering him so Unicron can find him. Again fairly obvious, though not so much so unless you've read Primal Scream
What the hell are Angles of Dissolution?
Furmanism, should be used to those by now. Writers commonly make up bunk sci-fi terms that in teh end mean nothing. Elements for breaking (disolving) the seal would be another way of putting it.
Why were those four characters chosen?
Admitedly a hole but a common one in plots like these. A little exposition from the Fallen would have been nice.
What did Jetfire DO exactly at the end that caused Primus to show up?
well containing all that Primus energy in one spot might have had something to do with it. Jets seemed to have a basic notion that teh Fallen was opposed to whatever he was setting free. He crossed his fingers and hoped the shiny stuff would do something. On Primus' end he'd be a bit negligent if he didn't happen to notice the big Unicron traitor next to his seal who was trying to break it.

All this lame buildup, and Primus just shows up at the end and defeats the Fallen in two or three panels???? You gotta be kiddin me. I mean, really.

A little rushed, but for ****s sake its Primus, there'd be a problem if he didn't squish the fallen. Creator of teh TFs and all, opposite of Unicron, who can eat Universes.

And at least make Bludgeon the badass that he should be. I mean, of all the characters that take him down, it has to be Skywarp??? Skywarp!!!! And you would think the so called Chaos Trinity would use a little, you know, mystidal mumbojumbo, to do battle. No, lets just hold off the Decepticons and Dinobots with some good ole fashioned laser fire.

There was no idication that the Fallen gave them any special powers, except maybe Mindwipe's and Bugly's (as we don't know if they previously had them). They were given a just a taste, which as was fairly clearly shown, enhanced their existing power. Besides without his Pretender shell Bludgeon's not all that remarkable, he's small and and being fairly green here, minus the voodoo stuff he's not all that special, this is just his beginning. And as to powers, Grimlock by himself was beating these guys (which was admittedly a bit much and another case of Furmans' Grimlock affection). And Skywarp isn't exactly a wimp, he was on Megatron's Nemesis crew for a reason. And unless you're Prime, Megatron or Shockwave, you get shot point blank with two cannons you're goin' down, at least for a bit. Again keep in mind this is pre-shell Bludgeon. He's not that tough.

And what's the deal with all the characters at the end suddenly deciding, "Hey, lets just close this area off and pretend it never even happened!" God forbid minds like Prowl, Jetfire, and Shockwave get a weeeee bit curious as to what cataclysmic event just took place and why. But no, lets just keep it all a big mystery until, as Shockwave very cheesily puts it at the end, "until all are one?" LOL, that was rich.

The til all are one line was a bit wank, but the general theme of this book and most of teh DW stuff (minus Vol 1) is that Cybertron is a box of secrets and the TFs just aren't ready yet, which harkens back to the old Marvel Unicron Arc. Primus shall not come out until all are one. Besides everybody just got schooled by this ginat flamey thing, so maybe messing with this voodoo junk isn't a good idea as it took all of us just to deal with this one guy. Sounds fairly logical to me, if a bit forced. It's to fit long term plot arcs so I'm willing to accept it.

I really want to see how the Furman fans desperately attempt to drag his ass out of the fire this time.

All in my harsh opinion, of course.
The ironic thing is that I've been the main Furman critic of late and I'm defending him. The series overall hasn't been more than solidly cometant but on that measure this is fairly good ending. The whole mystery thing is what DW has been going for from the last War Within series and Mick's G1 series so it goes with the overall trend. The real fault of this issue is that if you're nto an old school comics fan you're gonna miss a lot of what's going on. A much less rushed and hastily done ending, though overall I'd say Vol 1 was better so that combines to give a less jarring effect. Decent.

Strafe - IMO, this issue rocked, as did the entire series. No complaints here except for Wildman's art, which is more to blame on the inking, and not the pencils.
Strafe. You're a dick. Ishin_ookami - Dec 1st 2003
Blitzwing 2
Protoform

Post by Blitzwing 2 »

Would it made a big difference who took out Bludgeon, Bugly or Mindwipe? From the previews and reading this thread it was the Decepticons, Autobots and LSC(at least the Dinobots as Swoop was in the preview) vs. Bludgeon and co. Pretty much screwed so why should it matter who takes out who? If anything that's the way it should be. The Bots and Cons are in a rush to stop the Fallen and are going to get past the three one way or another regardless of the cost.
"Your brush with greatness is over!"

JAWS vs. Chucky
This could be great: Chucky is a stowaway on some kids' boat and he tries to kill them. They jump overboard and JAWS eats them before Chucky can get 'em. Chucky swears "smile you son of a bitch" and dives into the water for one final showdown
A quote that I stole from someone from somewhere else
Iron Guciu
Protoform

Post by Iron Guciu »

The Preview looks very good.

I want to see:
- Optimus & Megatron don't coming back
- The Fallen survives
- Ironhide appear and kicks some butts
Spiderman
Protoform

Why no Megs or Op

Post by Spiderman »

How come you don't want to see Megs or Op in this comic? :confused:
Bombshell

Re: Why no Megs or Op

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Spiderman

Because it would seem cheap by most of the fans.

Oh, and since it's out now, I can tell you that...

SPOILER

...they didn't.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Spiderman
It would be an astoundingly poor piece of plotting to have them show up and save the day at the Nth hour, having not featured at all in the previous five issues.