I hate Jack Chick. (aka how do you feel about religion)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Flamemaster Galvatron
Protoform

I hate Jack Chick. (aka how do you feel about religion)

Post by Flamemaster Galvatron »

Has anyone ever read these chick tract things? This guy is ridicuously a religious psychopath!

some of his wonderous work (for you to judge)..

one on homosexuals and how the town of sodom was wicked..
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0273/0273_01.asp

another one on catholicism (imagine that..sub divisions of basically the same religion can't even get along..)

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp

This man is a complete nut, IMO and completely gives the Christian community a bad name (but it's not like they're planned parenthood bombings didn't either :p )

Personally, I believe that anyone has a right to worship whatever they want, and that people of one religion shouldn't belittle another one for their beliefs. I'm not a fan of completly right wing christians who tell me I shall burn in hell for not worshipping the same invisible man they do.
Only you....
Can Start Flame Wars

Even God knows a good catchphrase when he hears one.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

One of the few people I'd consider dying for in order to kill.
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Don't see much wrong with that.
another one on catholicism (imagine that..sub divisions of basically the same religion can't even get along..
What? How the hell can you complain about religion if you know so little about it?
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think he was presuming the "Christian = follower of Christ" and 'sharing the same holy book' bits to somehow not be meaningless...

(*edit* Oh, and the command not to have been rewritten; "Hate thy neighbour -- especially if he or she is a Christian with slightly different ideas to you.")

But since we're here, the Protestant church only exists in the form it does today because a particularly fat English monarch was deperate for a legitimate male heir, and thus needed a divorce sharpish. Thus a 'new' religion. The fact that he 'borrowed' some of its trappings from the European movements of the time is neither here nor there... if he'd lost a lot of weight, his fertility rate would likely have increased and saved us at least one schism.
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Explain to me how Catholics follow Christ? They don't do anything the Bible says, they don't do anything Jesus says, they are in no way Christians and to group them together with Protestants is just completely stupid. Its chalk and cheese.
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
But since we're here, the Protestant church

You´re speaking about Anglican church, I presume? "Protestant church" usually points to a larger group of churces (Lutheran, Anglican etc.)

Anyways. Though I don´t like what Chick does I find his work interesting for following reasons.
1) They´re about the most wide spreaded and most printed comic books in the world.
2) Translated to many languages. Also to Finnish, unfortunately. :(
3) Chick´s tracts were a nice topic for an oral English presentation.
4) I´ve managed to genuinely hate almost every tract I´ve read. I dislike many things, but to hate, that is rare.
5) Many good memories discussing (read laughing hysteriously) the tracts when a little drunk with my fellow theology students.
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Originally posted by Osku
You´re speaking about Anglican church, I presume? "Protestant church" usually points to a larger group of churces (Lutheran, Anglican etc.)

Anyways. Though I don´t like what Chick does I find his work interesting for following reasons.
1) They´re about the most wide spreaded and most printed comic books in the world.
2) Translated to many languages. Also to Finnish, unfortunately. :(
3) Chick´s tracts were a nice topic for an oral English presentation.
4) I´ve managed to genuinely hate almost every tract I´ve read. I dislike many things, but to hate, that is rare.
5) Many good memories discussing (read laughing hysteriously) the tracts when a little drunk with my fellow theology students.
Why? Because he truly believes the Bible and sticks to it? Because of his views on homosexuality? I share those views (note I said homosexuality and not homosexuals)? Oh I see, its "accepted" now. I guess by that reasoning if we all became murderes it'd eventually become accepted right?
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Galvatron84
Why? Because he truly believes the Bible and sticks to it?
Because
-he sticks to certain aspects of Bible (from an English translation) he thinks is right
-mixes in dubious scientific "facts"
-his works are very intolerable towards other people
-peoples´stereotypes about christians strenghten through works like this
-children will read these (honestly, some of these are not good for them)
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Because
-he sticks to certain aspects of Bible (from an English translation) he thinks is right
-mixes in dubious scientific "facts"
-his works are very intolerable towards other people
-peoples´stereotypes about christians strenghten through works like this
-children will read these (honestly, some of these are not good for them)
1 - Show me that he only sticks to certain aspects. Sure these two are certain aspects but they are two he felt needed addressing. He's pointing out that Catholisism doesn't stick to any aspect of the Bible.

2 - You mean in the same way evolution is a dubious scientific "fact"?

3 - One person cannot be held responsible for other peoples views or perspectives.

4 - Good, children need to learn these things

For the record I had never heard of Jack Chick before this thread, but I read those two links and agreed strongly with both.
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Explain to me how Catholics follow Christ? They don't do anything the Bible says, they don't do anything Jesus says, they are in no way Christians and to group them together with Protestants is just completely stupid. Its chalk and cheese.

If being a Catholic means I don't get grouped in with an intolerant little **** like yourself, then I'll gladly proclaim myself a Catholic.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Ah...putting the fun back into fundamentalism!
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Originally posted by BigMaki
If being a Catholic means I don't get grouped in with an intolerant little **** like yourself, then I'll gladly proclaim myself a Catholic.
Intolerent? I'm not going to tolerate something that claims to follow the Bible when it clearly does not! Wher in the Bible does it mention mass? Where does it say a priest can wash away sin? Where does it say to pray to Mary and that she's the queen of heaven? Where does it mention Purgatory? Where does it mention popes, nuns or monks? Following the Bible? My fat ass!

BTW, as for being a 'little' ****, I'm 6'4" so I'm quite a big ****.
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

For the record I had never heard of Jack Chick before this thread, but I read those two links and agreed strongly with both.
Go read more. There are certain themes on those tracts: intolerance, scaring "you´ll go to hell if you don´t ***", "proving" things with certain lines from Bible (often out the text context).

Of the tracts I´ve read, I think one of the non-text ones was OK, as a discussion starter.
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Go read more. There are certain themes on those tracts: intolerance, scaring "you´ll go to hell if you don´t ***", "proving" things with certain lines from Bible (often out the text context).

Of the tracts I´ve read, I think one of the non-text ones was OK, as a discussion starter.
But if someone truly does believe the Bible then they will believe than unless they have faith in Christ they will go to hell. Why should he, or anyone else suger coat it?

Of course there is another way. What is the verse in the Bible taht says that when we die we go to Purgatory and our family and loved ones hould give money to the Catholic church so that we may enter heaven? Damn, I can never remember where that is.
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Intolerent? I'm not going to tolerate something that claims to follow the Bible when it clearly does not! Wher in the Bible does it mention mass? Where does it say a priest can wash away sin? Where does it say to pray to Mary and that she's the queen of heaven? Where does it mention Purgatory? Where does it mention popes, nuns or monks? Following the Bible? My fat ass!
You know what? This is why I stay out of religious debates. It's just not worth the bad blood. Nobody's going to change their minds, either. And why does Catholicism matter so much to you if you're following your religion (whatever it is) the best you possibly can? Why should it matter that mine's different? We're worshipping the same God. I'm not breaking any commendments here. What seems to be the problem? If it makes you happy, I'll say it. "Your religion's better than mine. I'm going to hell. Oh well." Happy now? :rolleyes:
BTW, as for being a 'little' ****, I'm 6'4" so I'm quite a big ****.

Funny, I really couldn't give a **** what size you are. You could be 4'11" and still be an intolerant asshole, since they come in all shapes and sizes...
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

You know what? This is why I stay out of religious debates. It's just not worth the bad blood. Nobody's going to change their minds, either. And why does Catholicism matter so much to you if you're following your religion (whatever it is) the best you possibly can? Why should it matter that mine's different? We're worshipping the same God. I'm not breaking any commendments here. What seems to be the problem? If it makes you happy, I'll say it. "Your religion's better than mine. I'm going to hell. Oh well." Happy now?
It matters because I see people (loved ones icluded) caught up in something whoich in my heart I believe to be so wrong, and I want to see them come out of it. And I honestly don't believe that Catholics are worshipping God, certianly not in the way God wants to be worshiped. Cain brought fruit to God and was rejected. He was worshipping but in the wrong way, but Abel who brought a lamb was worshipping in the approved manner.
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

It matters because I see people (loved ones icluded) caught up in something whoich in my heart I believe to be so wrong, and I want to see them come out of it. And I honestly don't believe that Catholics are worshipping God, certianly not in the way God wants to be worshiped. Cain brought fruit to God and was rejected. He was worshipping but in the wrong way, but Abel who brought a lamb was worshipping in the approved manner.

Since we're into literal interpretations of the bible, then, do you slaughter a lamb before you pray to God every day? Isn't that the way God wants to be worshipped? Otherwise, you wouldn't want to be worshipping incorrectly. See the problem? Be careful not to fall into the Sheba problem of picking out the things you want from the Bible and using them as an example. We know how that whole thread is turning out...

Honestly, I'll be the first to admit that the Catholic church needs some reform. It has its problems, as do all religions. How is that making all Catholics worthy of eternal damnation?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hell is never mentioned in either the Old or New Testament, is it? Why is it that some of us are going to hell if it doesn't exist in the Biblical sense?
Sixshot

Post by Sixshot »

What I don't get about religion is the sheer arrogance of it all. Can everyone just admit that whatever they believe, you can't be 100% sure that God exists, that you should follow the bible etc. blah blah blah. You might feel strongly that what you believe is right, but you don't know for a fact. The only thing you can really be sure of is that you can't be 100% sure of anything. ;)

So with this in mind, why not just chill out, try not to kill anybody, and wait and see what happens when you die? Because if when I die, some God-type thing decides to punish me for not following the right religion to the letter (despite the fact I've done my best so far to not even intentionally hurt a fly) then I'll be glad I didn't spend my life worshipping that God. Capiche?

He was in a boy band!
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I personally hate all of organized religion (Christanty, Jewish, Islam) because there are too many stupid people run it and say "God will strike you down if you this and that" and then those same self-righteous assholes do the same thing that they say don't do and then say "God told me to do it and that he'll forgive me but not you!"

I believe in God, Devil, Heaven, and in Hell but I refuse to believe in any of the chruches until they get their facts straight and if I burn in Hell for all in Enternity for my beliefs well I accept my God's judgement and that is all I need and nothing else.

Not these self-rightoues assholes and their organized religion.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

'Christian' means 'follower of Christ'... it has nothing to do with accepting the Bible, however many wars are fought over this semanticism.

The concept of a literal hell was 'borrowed' from the practise of putting people to death by burning them alive in pits.
It matters because I see people (loved ones icluded) caught up in something whoich in my heart I believe to be so wrong, and I want to see them come out of it.
Ever consider it's your heart that's wrong? Or that people will be just fine without your interference? Or that maybe, just maybe, that some people manage to interpret God as love and realise that what we cannot bring ourselves to forgive He/She/It will... ?

Which makes a greater mockery of this existence? That no soul will be abandoned... or that intolerant and jealous people fight for the right to proclaim anyone they don't like as hellbound?

Ah, keep spreading the hate... but don't expect to go unchallenged...