Tips for new BotCon'ers

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Transfan
Protoform

Tips for new BotCon'ers

Post by Transfan »

Since members of this forum are experienced BotCon'ers *meaning you've gone at least once*Perhaps you can float some tips for those of us who haven't gone before.You know tips for you & your merchandise to remain safe.

Some tips I can think of are

1)Keep your money on a clip in your front shirt/jacket pocket.
2)Keep one eye open & be aware of what's going on around you
3)Carry your newly bought TF merchandise in a duffle bage draped around your shoulders.With a back pak someone might be able to open it behind your back
4)This is also one of those situations where hanging in a group might be advantageous
5)Make sure your merchandise never leaves your site

This is a cruel world and people like to steal,especially from people who are naive & not cautious.If you can think of some other tips feel free to post them here.Maybe a moderator can make this thread a sticky since any tips/info posted would be usefull
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Steer clear of ****ty Beast Wars toys claiming to be Wreckers! Impactor would so kick their arses... well, step on them...
Sades

Post by Sades »

Other people's car trunks are a no-no. There is no Optimus in there... mind, though, this is word of mouth...
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's also vital BotCon etiquette that should Pat Lee and/or Chris Sarracini be attending to shoot him/them. In the face. With some sort of anti-tank weapon. And when Pat's brains are splattered on the wall [presuming there's enough for a real splatter] tunr to your fellow attendees and say "He finally did one of his own backgrounds hur-hur" in an Arnie voice. People'll look at you funny if you don't.
Transfan
Protoform

Post by Transfan »

Quicksilver you're just being a silly billy:p

Now perhaps someone can post a few usefull serious tips
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

Dude, I think you're getting the wrong idea...it's not quite that kind of atmosphere...the only ripping off people do is the guys at the tables with the exorbinant prices...I don't honestly believe there's any reason to be paranoid about any stuff you buy. But if you're going to be paranoid, then be paranoid constructively: get the stuff to your room immediately after you get it. But people are there to buy, not steal, and are a lot like us as well, so there's really nothing to worry about.
Transfan
Protoform

Post by Transfan »

Originally posted by Redstreak
Dude, I think you're getting the wrong idea...it's not quite that kind of atmosphere...the only ripping off people do is the guys at the tables with the exorbinant prices...I don't honestly believe there's any reason to be paranoid about any stuff you buy. But if you're going to be paranoid, then be paranoid constructively: get the stuff to your room immediately after you get it. But people are there to buy, not steal, and are a lot like us as well, so there's really nothing to worry about.

I respectfully disagree Redstreak,what you call being paranoid I call being cautious.And considering the money I'll be spending I plan to be very cautious with my stuff.I leave nothing up to chance
Hound

Post by Hound »

Cliffy's right yo. Red, you're bringing the weaponry right?

Anyway, I don't plan to go there with a "Trust no one" mentality. I'm there to have fun above all else. I'll keep an eye on my money and toys mind you though.
God Jinrai
Protoform

Post by God Jinrai »

... In all honesty, Transfan... I'm not saying let your guard down, but the scene at botcon truly isn't the sort where you have to worry about snatching your stuff. granted this past year, someone DID end up stealing from a dealer's table, however this person I believe was busted, if not by fellow transfans, then by the Fort Wayne P.D. You talk about ensuring that your stuff is securely attached ta ya, lemmie ask ya this... and this isn't an attack, or anything, what happens when you get a trypticon, maximus, jetfire or any other tfs with a MASSIVE box? ya can't exactly toss em into a duffel bag. I ended up lugging my jetfire in a plastic bag until I ended up selling him off and started a long chain reaction... but I also had my smaller suitcase which I was haunling my KO starsaber around with me to try and get rid of. didn't happen, but... th con was outstanding anyway.
Garand

Post by Garand »

one good idea/tip is to carry a box half full of packing peanuts to put smaller, loose items in, and a large backpack. Also, if you ahve a room onsite, or know someone who does, make dropoffs of larger items.

not reallty a safty tip, but, carry cash. dealers love cash, few will have credit card capabilities, and fewer will take checks. Last year, We had to walk 2-3 blocks for an ATM...
Scout

Post by Scout »

There really weren't too many troubles at the last Botcon with stealing, and everyone was really nice that I met. I even left a camera at a dealer table and it got returned. The dealers had a couple problems, but really, it's a nice group. A duffle bag is a good idea, just so things don't fall out, and given the size of last year's exclusives and give aways, it would be handy to have. Also, dropping off your stuff at your room is a nice thing.

Some helpful tips about this year's Botcon...
*If you have a cell phone, carry it with you at all times (don't forget the charger).

*If you lose your group, arrange a meeting time or two in the day to be in front of the Hummel museum located in the lower lobby floor of the center or perhaps in front of the fountain
(also on the lower floor). This place is huge, and the rooms are spacious.

*Don't eat at the hotel- too expensive. Order in pizza or go with a friend in a vehicle to local places (there are none really in walking distance though).

*Two blocks from the center there is a metra line that will take you downtown in about 20/30 minutes. Navy pier is awesome, but Chicago also has a Field museum (nature), Museum of Science and Industry, the Sears Tower Skydeck (125 or so stories in the air), Shedd aquarium (fish), Lincoln Park zoo, and loads and loads of other places to see.

*Have a grand old time! Make a want list before you get there though. Arrive early on Friday and go room hopping to the dealer rooms for trading or fun. ^_^
ThunderCracker84

Post by ThunderCracker84 »

*Two blocks from the center there is a metra line that will take you downtown in about 20/30 minutes. Navy pier is awesome, but Chicago also has a Field museum (nature), Museum of Science and Industry, the Sears Tower Skydeck (125 or so stories in the air), Shedd aquarium (fish), Lincoln Park zoo, and loads and loads of other places to see.

I suggest you all do this, not because its amazing stuff, its all the same to me, but then you won't be around the convention so much and i can get more stuff
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Originally posted by ThunderCracker84
I suggest you all do this, not because its amazing stuff, its all the same to me, but then you won't be around the convention so much and i can get more stuff
Nee-heer.

Seriously, don't worry too much about theft. In one transaction last year, I was concentrating so much on sorting out my money that I forgot to take my Flak. The dealer jumped up and hunted me down to give it to me... Other con-goers aren't too likely to be stealing from you, either. It's a big open area that's entirely crammed with generally nice people, and sports a few security cameras and guards. Even if you don't notice the very rare pickpocket taking your Powerdasher Drill, somebody else will...

I guess the only advice I could add would be to not take it too seriously. You won't be able to have as much fun as you should if you just relax.
Flec's selling a lot of RID, Armada, and Energon, and a few G1 toys. 'S all I'm sayin'.
The TFArchive RPG - "the most popular part of the site[!]" - Skywarp. Darn tootin'.
Transfan
Protoform

Post by Transfan »

Originally posted by Reflector
I guess the only advice I could add would be to not take it too seriously. You won't be able to have as much fun as you should if you just relax.

You've got a good point there Reflector for a decepticon :p.It's good to be cautious,just not so cautious that it prevents you from having a good time