What The Bloody Hell Was That?!?!?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
~*ShadowDancer*~

What The Bloody Hell Was That?!?!?

Post by ~*ShadowDancer*~ »

Monday, 23 September, 2002, 00:23 GMT 01:23 UK
Earth tremor hits UK

The UK has a powerful quake about once a decade

The UK has been hit by an earth tremor.
It affected parts of the West Midlands, Wales, North Yorkshire, London, and Wiltshire.

The tremor was felt at approximately 0100 BST.

There were no reports of any injuries.

BBC weather forecaster Pete Gibbs said: "It's not that unusual to have an earth tremor, but it is unusual to be that widespread and that widely reported.

Sudden shockwaves

"However, earth tremors are certainly not that uncommon in the UK."

The whole length of Wales was shaken and people over 120 miles apart felt two sudden shockwaves

In south Wales, people in Cardiff, Newport, Caerphilly, the Vale of Glamorgan and as far west as Swansea, felt the powerful shock waves.

Callers to the BBC reported doors slamming and windows rattling.

Many miles further north, in Wrexham, officers from North Wales Police said their control room in a tower block shook violently.
~*SD*~
Proud Member of The Mini Owner's Club.

Links:

Shadow's Site - *Updated 22-03-04!*

Message board

Micro Mart Magazine
Sixshot

Post by Sixshot »

Wow.

Well, glad to here it wasn't too serious.

I doubt any of our Welsh board members are sober enough to have noticed anyway. ;)

He was in a boy band!
Jonin
Protoform

Post by Jonin »

Yep we are both using PC's here at ~*SD's*~ place. I'm still here with her. ;)

We were both sitting on the settee here at her place and watching TV / Vegging out and all of a sudden the house started shaking like nuts!
The walls moved, low level rumbling, the place physically shook (nope, we had no curry prior nor extra curricular activities before this happened. :p) it was freaky.
My first thoughts were "Earthquake!" but then ~*SD*~ was thinking it could have been a concorde flown over too. We hit the BBC news online as well as on TV to see what was up and BBC online came through with the report.
Crazy huh? :)
--------
=Jonin=
--------
Jonin's DeviantArt Page
--------
Sixshot

Post by Sixshot »

It would be pretty cool, if somewhat scary, to experience that (not saying eathquakes are cool, but as long as no one was hurt, must be an experience). Us southern southerners never get any excitement. But I do hear Portsmouth would be considered a prime UK target during the possible forthcoming nuclear war, yay!!!!! I think?

He was in a boy band!
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

There was a quake in Cleveland with tremors all the way to Detroit a couple years back...I barely felt anything. But damn those continental plates, eh? ;)
Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 »

I'm still waiting for that Major quake to hit Vancouver. We have been preparing for over 50 years so WHERE THE HELL IS IT!?!
Computron

Post by Computron »

I actually have a confession to make, I didn't notice it, I was drinking sorry, I think I remember a slight shake although that might just be an excuse why I spilt some of my drink :(

Nah it was only 2 shakes, nothing too bad

--Compy
I support a ban on powerposting
Divebomb
Protoform

Post by Divebomb »

why in the bloody hell would you be waiting for that. do you really want to see that happen. I thank christ that **** like that doesn't happen here.

Think about it.
Feed them to the Sharkticons!
Getaway

Post by Getaway »

It woke me up, cause some books and things on my shelves fell off and me bed was rattling, it soon passed though so I could get some kip.

Getaway the houdini of the transformers universe nobody can defeat him......except Rodimus Prime, Cyclonus, Starscream, Deathbringer, Thunderwing, Dreadwing........

"Run hot, but always keep your cool."
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

"Did the earth move for you last night?"
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yes, I was a little shocked by that. Here, the windows rattled and the floor shook a bit. I was in Best Firsts chat room at the time with Computron and BigMaki. Computron sacrificed his drink so that we all may live.

Once I logged off, there was a message on the anserphone from Glen Danzig. He wanted to know if I was ok and to offer his help and support.

I never phoned him back.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Sixshot

Post by Sixshot »

Originally posted by Divebomb
why in the bloody hell would you be waiting for that. do you really want to see that happen. I thank christ that **** like that doesn't happen here.

Think about it.
No, you think about it. Ever crossed your mind I might be slightly sarcastic regarding the nuclear war thing?

If you were talking about the earthquake comment, an earthquake of that strength is no worse than a severe thunderstorm, which I actually find quite spectacular to look at (hell, there were enough of them in Florida), even if it is quite scary. Sorry for being fascinated by a rare event, I'll remember to ask your permission next time I want to post something. :glance:

He was in a boy band!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Listen to the nice lady, kids.

Yeah, I didn't notice, but people on the other side of the computer room did...
Tigerhawk
Protoform

Post by Tigerhawk »

Haha, welcome to my neck of the woods. I live in California, and around here when one hits, people take bets on the magnitude. And no, i'm not kidding - I've seen it happen.
"Pay your respects to the Gods and the Buddhas, but never rely upon them."
- Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645).
Paracelsus21@hotmail.com