University Assistance Prt 1. - Violence in Videogames

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
CounterPunch
Protoform

University Assistance Prt 1. - Violence in Videogames

Post by CounterPunch »

Hey guys,

As my first major piece of work for my University course I have to do both a presentation and an essay on the subject of violence in video games, and whether they do have an effect on the individual playing them. Now, I've compiled articles, web information, studies and such on the subject BUT I'm looking for a more casual input now than a scholaristic one, so I have come to you... the general TFArchive population. If you people could answer any/all of the following questions, in as much detail as you possibly can.

- Have you ever played a violent game?

- What would you consider to be the lower limit to violent games? (for instance, Goomba stomping Mario, car crashing Burnout, Street Fighter, wrestling games)

- If you could name some of the most violent games you have ever played, what would they be? (they dont need to be current games necessarily, maybe something from 15 years ago, violent for its time)

- Do you actively (or subconsciously) buy more violent games than non violent, if so, what is it that attracts you to these games.

- If playing a violent game, do you gain satisfaction from doing something particularly gruesome (for instance, I would much rather use the chainsaw in Gears of War than the gun)

- With the ability to perform more advanced tasks with character models and backgrounds do you feel that the use of gore, violence and destruction in games is becoming too much?

- Would you allow your children, be they real or hypothetical, to play violent games?

- Realism or Cartoony, do either kinds of violence have a place in video games?

- Do you feel you have been adversely affected by video game violence? Or alternatively do you feel that people can be affected (if you do not play)

- Should protection of the minority justify removal of such games from the masses?

I know theres alot of questions, if you could please answer as many as you possibly can I will be extremely greatful!
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

There is this local boy who recently got into a fight with his parents over someone he met playing a violent video game online. This happened a few weeks ago. He ran away from home and there was a huge rescue effort to find him. Law enforcement suspected that he might try to meet up with his friend that he met on the Internet. Brandon Crisp lived in Hamilton and quit suddenly they found his body in the woods.

Now I don’t blame the video games for this, but I do think that the anti-videogame people will use him as a poster boy for the effects of violent video games.
http://www.canada.com/cityguides/trail/ ... 1ac0ea5a24
http://www.canada.com/cityguides/hamilt ... 1ac0ea5a24
http://www.thespec.com/News/article/453064

On a lighter note…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6fq9Aadwk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

1. Duh!
3. Devil May Cry, Gears if War 2, Ninja Gaiden, the list goes on.
4. Really, the only non-violent game I play is Guitar Hero. Most non-violent games, like Animal Crossing or Cooking Mama, in my opinion, are not very well done most of the time.
5. Usually doing something evil in melee attacks.
6. No, it is taking advantage of the graphics and overall feel of the game, making me want to play more.
7. Absolutely, why shouldn't I? Of course I am not going to let a 10 year-old play Grand Theft Auto, but you get the idea.
8. Yes.
9. No.
I will heavily edit my answers later, I am tired.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

1. Yes
2. Street Fighter type games for sure (not counting Mortal Kombat which is far more violent).
3. Modern: GTA 3. Vintage: Wolfenstein 3D/Doom/Quake/Mortal Kombat series
4. I purchase far more non-violent games (Nintendo junkie)
5. I don't feel satisfaction when performing violent acts in games. It's still a game.
6. Violence does have a place in games, just as it does in other forms of media. Saying it doesn't belong or banning it makes it more desirable for people.
7. I personally don't feel affected by violent games. I strongly believe parental guidance when people are young is a HUGE factor in people's reaction to violent gaming.
8. No, I don't think banning violence in games solves anything. As said in #7, I really believe that if parents take an active role in teaching their children right from wrong and what to do/not to do when it comes to violent games, they will learn and not act upon things they see in games/movies. The gaming industry shouldn't be blamed for the lack of parenting. It is far easier to point the finger elsewhere than to take responsibility for your self or your child.

PS - I'm glad to help, this is an issue that bothers me every time I see it in the news.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Mmm.

- What would you consider to be the lower limit to violent games? (for instance, Goomba stomping Mario, car crashing Burnout, Street Fighter, wrestling games)

I don't class any of those as violence. At least moderately detailed humans, humanoids or recognisable animals plus blood.

- If you could name some of the most violent games you have ever played, what would they be? (they dont need to be current games necessarily, maybe something from 15 years ago, violent for its time)

Mostly Res. Evil series and various Grand Theft Auto titles. I don't get time to game much, so tend to go for more classic arcade-y types of entertainment when I do.

- Do you actively (or subconsciously) buy more violent games than non violent, if so, what is it that attracts you to these games.

Nope, as they also tend to be level-based and/or have plots attached.

- If playing a violent game, do you gain satisfaction from doing something particularly gruesome (for instance, I would much rather use the chainsaw in Gears of War than the gun)

If playing against other people, sure.

- With the ability to perform more advanced tasks with character models and backgrounds do you feel that the use of gore, violence and destruction in games is becoming too much?

Not particularly, though we are getting to the point of realistic humans. I think it's more of an outlet for most people than an ideas manual.

- Would you allow your children, be they real or hypothetical, to play violent games?

Above a certain age, though that depends on individuals rather than specific ages.

Yep. Conflict is a basic form of competition.

- Do you feel you have been adversely affected by video game violence? Or alternatively do you feel that people can be affected (if you do not play)

Nope. And yes, there'll always be a subset of people who act out fantasies, be they violent, sexual or both, and who're given ideas by media that most people aren't as directly affected by.

- Should protection of the minority justify removal of such games from the masses?

Having seen the state of some parenting, there's perhaps a case. But generally you don't take things away from a majority because a handful of people can't be trusted with them.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yes

Anything unrealistic and without blood isn't violent in my book

Vice City and ... er, Quake II.

Not really... I'm not a big game player. Something having big repeat value is the main aim whenever I do buy something, if it happens to be violent so be it.

No... I often do violent things on GTA: VC when there's a simpler, cleaner way, but that's more to keep it challenging - taking on a SWAT team with a chainsaw, or setting up complex grenade/car/person on other side of the street combo attacks.

I'm probably not advanced enough in terms of the games I play, but I've never sen anything so advanced as to look especially realistic.

It would depend on their age and personality, and the nature of the game. I wouldn't let someone young play VC, not so much for the violence as for making sure they're developed enough to learn that you can't go around treating people in that sort of way, and that they can understand you're playing a sociopathic drug-dealing criminal, and not some sort of hero.

Yeh, it's as valid as their use in any other form of media at least.

Not particularly, I was this much of a bastard beforehand. Seriously, generally the people who let games affect them in a negative fashion have deeper problems that would have been bought to the surface by something else if not for games - like horror films, it's something to blame for society's ills.

No. People should be responsible for their own actions.
13thScorpio

Post by 13thScorpio »

Yes

No blood and cartoony,not really violent.Fun stuff like SSB.

Gears of War(both),Quake,Doom.

Possibly.I mostly buy whatever seems good.

Yes.After all,how else are you supposed to use that chainsaw and the curb stomp?

Not really.

Not until of age.

Realism.

No.A good way to use up aggression after work.

NO.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

CounterPunch wrote:
Yes
If you mean the point I would consider a game violent, it'd be either when non-cartoony avatars are harming each other, or even cartoony avatars if there's blood and/or gore.

DOOM, Gears of War, God of War, Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, Soldier of Fortune

Probably more violent, and it's actively. Not for the violence, but more often for the mature (or at least adult) storylines. I'm not saying the violence isn't occasionally a satisfying feature, but it's never the main selling point.

Yes, but it depends on the tone of the game as well as the mechanics and context. In Gears, yes, I'd prefer to sneak up behind someone and chainsaw them. A - It's gratuitously hilarious, and B - it's an easy kill. Some games have an intangible quality around the combat where it's satisfying to get hits or combos on enemies. Arcade side-scrolling beat-em-ups were like that and more recently games like God of War or Ninja Gaiden have been as well.

I think that any game that uses it to the point where I would find it excessive is doing it in a Tarantinoesque over the top manner that's darkly amusing instead of revolting. If it fits in the context of the game, I don't think there's a limit to gore and violence. See Dead Space for a recent example of a game that had a lot of sick gore and violence that just wouldn't have had the same impact without. Then compare that to Event Horizon and wonder if the level of gore and violence in movies is becoming too much.

Probably not until they were pubescent, but even then if a parent provides the proper guidance, I don't see an issue. My parents would point out bad behavior and violence in the movies, cartoons, and games I played and would have dialogues with me over why that behavior is bad.

Yes, both kinds in different genres of games. Anything that has a place in any other medium has a place in videogames.

I don't feel that I have, but I do understand that most people are stupid and easily manipulated. Yes, dumb people can be affected by videogames, but they can also be affected by television, the internet, and religion.

No, parents should be parenting, not lobbying for the censorship of an emerging medium.

I know theres alot of questions, if you could please answer as many as you possibly can I will be extremely greatful!
Answers are in bold, and can explain further if necessary.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Sir Auros wrote:Answers are in bold, and can explain further if necessary.
What I mean by "lower level" of violence is as I think you covered, at what point you would conisder a game violent.

And you brought up a good point about hits/combos for excessive things, one such thing I was thinking was the concept of headshots in video games, yes the reason is based upon skill and accuracy, but its the excessively detailed and sometimes over the top effect of a headshot which COULD be called in to question.