are you passionate about collecting transformers?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
transformer_kollecta

are you passionate about collecting transformers?

Post by transformer_kollecta »

With the movies, the comics, the figures and and everything else... collecting transformers is becoming a major hobby for both serious and fun collector alike!

I’m involved with a fun new website calledKollecta.com, and we are currently seeking new members. The site is a growing social network of and for collectors - connecting collectors and their collections worldwide.

Kollecta has a great littletransformers group, and with more people involved, it can only grow! The group has 2351 transformers items on its database including comics, action figures and toys.

Do you have something Kollecta doesn’t have listed? I invite you to join the site and compare your own collection with what is already there. Joining also means you can check what things you have, what you want and any you have for sale and share this with other members.

The best thing about it all is that it is free and has no obligations! With your involvement, it can only get better! If you are interested, I encourage you to visit the site and check it out.

Feedback is also more than welcome
Collect? Connect! visit KOLLECTA.com
'I'm a member of this site and I have to say it's a great way to keep track of your collection and see what fellow collectors have...it's also good if you've got something to trade.'
Meagan, Forum Moderator, Mushroomvillage.com
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Genuine question - what's it for?
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I'll ignore the plug and just answer the question posed in the thread title.

Even though I'm typing this from a room that has a shelf spanning an entire wall filled almost exclusively with Transformers, no, I'm not really that passionate about collecting them. Not like I used to be, anyway. Between Cybertron and the death of Alternators, there's nothing in the way of Transformers toys that I'm out for right now. I've been buying other action figures - DC Superheroes, videogame figures, movie figures, etc., but no Transformers.

I'm into buying and reading the IDW comics, and I do technically collect them, but am I collecting them for value? No.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Genuine question - what's it for?
The idea is people use it to keep track of a collection and can find other items of interest and people who might be up for trading.

What this offers over a page/list and some photos, the numerous sites that exist cataloguing TF releases and reviewing them, and trading environments that have critical mass such as eBay is... not a heck of a lot.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Passionate? I dunno if I'd describe it, like that.

I have a large collection, but when you've been collecting as long as I have, and have nothing better to do with the money,* you tend to amass a significant army.

*I live with my family. I have to pay a small amount for rent, which is only because my dad's retired, so they need a little assistance with food and utilities. I don't have a girlfriend or any other significant financial drain, so I'm generally able to pick up what figures I want, and still manage to save some money.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
The idea is people use it to keep track of a collection and can find other items of interest and people who might be up for trading.

What this offers over a page/list and some photos, the numerous sites that exist cataloguing TF releases and reviewing them, and trading environments that have critical mass such as eBay is... not a heck of a lot.

Sort-of what I thought... most of the pages I checked either weren't working or were low on information...
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Looks like an incomplete checklist with some stock photos to me. I suppose I am to some degree passionate about collecting TFs..as passionate as my bank account will allow for anyway.
transformer_kollecta

I'm into buying and reading the IDW comics, and I do technically collect them, but am I collecting them for value? No.

have a large collection, but when you've been collecting as long as I have, and have nothing better to do with the money,* you tend to amass a significant army.

Thankyou very much for your comments so far!

I forgot to add, the site is in Beta...so is all touch and go. There is still a lot of content yet to be added, as well as functionality.

The idea is genuine and is for the reasons that these guys have mentioned above....

The main purpose of this all is to get users to join and upload their own collections and data to add to the site and make it their own. It is not set to conquer the world wide web, but it is something fun and we think that a lot of collectors would appreciate something that caters especially for them, unlike a massive site like ebay.

:)
'I'm a member of this site and I have to say it's a great way to keep track of your collection and see what fellow collectors have...it's also good if you've got something to trade.'
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Other venues are far from perfect, but they do have some protection mechanisms beyond feedback.
to add to the site and make it their own.
What advantage would you say that offers over a collaborative environment such a wiki (or just someone grabbing their own patch of webspace)? It isn't very clear from the perspective of a non-logged-in user, but is there functionality to add appropriate numbers of photos depending on the scale of items, or to link items/data in a meaningful way (eg, name reuses, mould issues)?

And what possibilities, if any, exist for users to backup the data they're entering in transferable formats? A third-party server is a central point of failure should it disappear.
Soundwave
Protoform

Post by Soundwave »

I would say that I am not necessarily passionate about just transformers but it most defiently is a hobby of mine among a great many other things.
transformer_kollecta

we've been working real hard at kollecta. I thought I'd share some of the updates to the site with you:
  • exchanges - buy.sell.trade!
  • MY talk - discuss individual items
  • Quick List - simplier listing of have/sell/want
  • Collection - Sorting is easier
  • Walkthrough - a quick step-by-step guide
enjoy!
Smokescreen GT

Post by Smokescreen GT »

I like collecting Transformers, but I wouldn't call it a passion. My collection is moderate in size compared to some. I don't go overboard. But, it's definitely a hobby of mine that I enjoy in my spare time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
transformer_kollecta

Thanks for your comments, they've been really useful for me.

:) I guess most people would agree that its hard to describe themselves as "passionate" because its something different than that. Its interesting because it goes against what a lot of people who don't 'collect' think....

I read an article yesterday that seems to sum up this point. Collecting is not a passion as such - its a recreational pursuit, its a hobby, its something that you just do.

This article covers a lot of things about collecting but says for most people a collection is the kind of thing that often creeps up on you.

It's kinda like you almost accidentally accumulate things not because you're obsessive or passionate but as a consequence of other things. Maybe other people buy them for you for xmas etc. Or because you had them as a kid and never parted with them, because your kids had a lot of them, or because you once felt like buying a few and then that turned into a few more....and hello!

The guy writes how he never had a 'collection' until somebody bought him something and it recurred to the point where he had quite a few.

I have since come to believe that a huge percentage of people’s individual collections begin in just that way. In theory, the hobby of collecting consists of acquiring specific items based on a particular interest of the collector. But often, our collections have origins that are much less strategic.
Anyway, just thought I'd share that reflection with you.
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

There was a time I was obsessed with collecting, but getting older and therefore taking on more responsibilities has seen it take a beak seat and rather than snap up any TF related merchandise I could I have to be more selective about what I want...
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero