Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

*cut away from the main Convention News thread*
Zath
Protoform

Botcon changes name

Post by Zath »

(2003-05-10) A mutual decision has been made by Glen Hallit of 3H Productions, Inc., and Jon Hartman, owner of the service mark "BotCon," to remove the name "BotCon" from this year's convention. Consequently, the convention formerly known as BotCon® 2003 will now be called The Official Transformers Brand Collector's Convention. All inquiries for information about this year's convention should be directed to 3H's Web site at http://www.otfcc.com.

http://www.botcon.com
We live for the One, We die for the One, but we dont die stupid.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

That's ridiculous. Why replace something that rolls off the tongue with that mouthful?
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Someone on another board made the perfect remark. It sounds like a pharmaceutical label.

I mean, TFCon would have sufficed. Even abreviating to OTCC is a mouthful (and now it sounds like a Government Agency)

I'm still calling it Botcon. Hopefully they won't kick me out for it ;)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hasbro issued the following statement: -

"All attendees are to be aware that only Official Hasbro products are to be allowed in. Anyone wearing a home-made Transformers t-shirt will be asked to leave the premises. Any merchandise for sale such as Marvel Transformers comics will be removed due to license problems, and they also contradict current brand useage. A version of TF:TM dubbed to replace the phrase "H*t R*d" with the accurate character name of Rodimus Major will be screened. All toy dealers must be aware that they can only sell figures and accessories that conform to current toy safety standards and licenses.

Remember, we're fans just like you,
Sincerely,
Hasbro PLC"

Bastards!
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

What a bunch of dumbasses . . .
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

WTF???!!!!! :eek:

edit: Tell, me that's a hoax, someone. I mean, the Rodimus Major thing is a bit of an overkill, but unfortunately fits into the Hasbroian theology of stupidity.

Where'd you find this, Cliffy?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Erm... ooops. Sorry, thought It'd be pretty Kaybee Spychangers... Unless I'm being duped by you guys, which is a possibility.

I'll behave, honest injun.

*is banned*

:(
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

*smacks Cliffy around* Dammit, man, don't do that!

It's scary though, when something that sounds so outrageous unfortunately parrellels the percieved truth so closely. Kinda like how our country (U.S.) is slowly starting to mirror the book "1984." Ye never really thought it possible back then, I'm sure...
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by Pun-3X

It's scary though, when something that sounds so outrageous unfortunately parrellels the percieved truth so closely. Kinda like how our country (U.S.) is slowly starting to mirror the book "1984." Ye never really thought it possible back then, I'm sure...

Damn left wing liberals!:o
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Hmm, quick to jump on that one there. Do you know something else I don't? :o
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Pun-3X

Erm, yeh, sorry... It was meant to be a kinda satirical thingy on the use of the term "brand"... it just seems to me that Hasbro could be gently forcing a foot in the door having wised up to the sheer value of the collector's market. I mean, "brand"? It's no longer your fave childhood mythos, it's now Coca-Cola for toys :(
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Yeah, I agree. I was conversing with someone else I know about it, and as much as he went "I just can't see it happening," the more I thought to myself how surprised he would be if it actually did, and how unsurprised (though angered) I'd be.

*smacks Cliffy around some more, because it's fun!* :glance:
God Jinrai
Protoform

Post by God Jinrai »

... it'd not surprise me if hasbro would cancel the artwork contest... god forbid, it's not someone under their personal thumbs that they have absolute control over... it's friggin bullSnot! i'm just seriously waiting for the con to hit and the panels to come up so I can chew hasbro a new one when their snippy little representatives are treating us like kids in their explanations of the new lines, bla bla bla...
Transfan
Protoform

Post by Transfan »

Originally posted by God Jinrai
... it'd not surprise me if hasbro would cancel the artwork contest... god forbid, it's not someone under their personal thumbs that they have absolute control over... it's friggin bullSnot! i'm just seriously waiting for the con to hit and the panels to come up so I can chew hasbro a new one when their snippy little representatives are treating us like kids in their explanations of the new lines, bla bla bla...

There are 2 things wrong with that remark

1)Hasbro only sponsors BotCon/OTCC,creative control belongs to 3H Productions

2)Hasbro was present at BotCon 2001 & 2002 and from what I've seen on those BotCon documentaries,art work is present for all to see

This "Hasbro sucks" stuff really needs to end.Maybe you should worry less about giving the Hasbro Reps a hard time and more on simply enjoying the Convention itself:)
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

...can't we do both?...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

*shooes everyone toward the rest of the forum*

Discuss the name-change there, wouldya folks? This is a round-up thread...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Discuss it there, this is a round-up thread? Get some sleep boyo!

Transfan... y'know what, never mind...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Read the top post. :p
Nissan_X_004
Protoform

Post by Nissan_X_004 »

And what's the big deal with the name?
I mean, Botcon was a cool and simple name, OTCC sounds like a medicine to me.

I was really pissed at Hasbro's reaction for the next botcon, they are all bastards :wall:

At least we still have certain freedom over here in the animecons, so there's no problem with Hasbro sticking it's nose with the TFs dealers around. (In fact, Hasbro's division in Mexico doesn't care at all :p)
Will you ever imagine from where you are, being a Mexican crossing the border? Thinking about your family while you pass, leaving everything you know behind.
Will you continue saying "good for nothing, beaners" if you ever had to begin from zero? -- From Molotov's song "Frijolero"