Trukk n0t p0w3ranG3r!!11!one

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

All the bots that make up the gestalts are better than the gestalts, wiv g1 we had chunky blocks for the team members, but the combined robot was better.

Personally I'd scrap energon, and have robotmasters as the main commercial ine.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by davetherave
Personally I'd scrap energon, and have robotmasters as the main commercial ine.

Why? So people can buy another, slightly re-molded version of a toy they have ten times over?

Woot.:eyebrow:
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

If you wanna go ahead and buy energon be my guest, it's a pile of crap, not even kids want it. So I take it we should stop batman, spiderman & superman, cause they are still the same.

If it isn't broken don't fix it and energon is definently broke.

You hit the nail on the head, Remoulded original characters are great if they can improve on looks and articulation bring them on. Robotmnaster G1 characters are the selling point of the line, sales tell it all, loads of robotmaster figures which are based after G1 will be hanging around on shelves and ebay for a while.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Just because you say it doesn't make it so. Plenty of people whose opinions I respect a great deal love Energon.
You hit the nail on the head, Remoulded original characters are great if they can improve on looks and articulation bring them on. Robotmnaster G1 characters are the selling point of the line, sales tell it all, loads of robotmaster figures which are based after G1 will be hanging around on shelves and ebay for a while.

Um, you do realize that there are plenty of Energon figures that are very direct homages to G1 figures, right? Which is exactly what the Robotmasters line is... And where are these mystical sales figures for Robotmasters that you seem to be pulling out of thin air?
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

If you wanna go ahead and buy energon be my guest
You're too kind.
it's a pile of crap, not even kids want it.
That's your opinion. Doesn't mean it's true.

Also, I don't know about where you live, but around here, there's a fairly active interest in Energon amongst children.
So I take it we should stop batman, spiderman & superman, cause they are still the same.
That's not what I'm saying at all. What I am saying is that someone who enjoys Energon, and doesn't necessarily feel the need to own 20 versions of the same character, should be able to have the choice to buy something new occassionally if they so decide.

You don't want to buy Energon? Don't. But those of us that happen to like it appreciate having something other than yet another Gen 1 Optimus Prime to choose from.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Robotmasters. I just don't think that cancelling Energon in favor of it is going to do any good.
You hit the nail on the head, Remoulded original characters are great if they can improve on looks and articulation bring them on.

I'm not arguing with that. But I don't think that justifies your claim that it should be the primary line.
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

Originally posted by BigMaki
Just because you say it doesn't make it so. Plenty of people whose opinions I respect a great deal love Energon.

Um, you do realize that there are plenty of Energon figures that are very direct homages to G1 figures, right? Which is exactly what the Robotmasters line is... And where are these mystical sales figures for Robotmasters that you seem to be pulling out of thin air?

G1 is the best tf line. Alternators is more or less updated G1. These are the best lines end of story!

I know their are direct homeages, I'm not complaining about that. I'm complaing about optimus prime with his stupid body, superion and bruticus which are hardly even recognisable as a humanoid style robot, he could be anything. And you do realise energon is for kids, not grown ups. I doubt your young cause youngsters don't watch tfs, thats why it's not really on prime time kids tv. Secondly the robotmaster sales figure comes from going to a shop with 20 starcreams which are now virtually gone, and sh*t loads of other figures. G1 RM convoy and Starscream are hard for alot of dealers to get their hands on, and correct me if I'm wrong but when any site, magazine, add etc shows robot masters, the G1 figures are the headliners.

If anyone seriously thinks energon has satisfied their tf needs and they are not a kid, well what can I say............

The basis is something starts out as an object we recognise, then it amazingly transforms into a robot which has recognisable human or animal proportions.

Energon is something that changes into something with pipes that could be fingers or a canopener, legs which look like a half collapsed ironing board. I can see how toddlers might be amazed by the bright lights and flourescent colours, then mummy will take him down a whole isle of pokemon toys, not some dark dindgy corner of a store where some 25 year old is looking at toys.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

davetherave, if you want to blast the Energon toyline, do so in toys, this is the news forum and it's for posting news, not the ramblings of some halfwit troll.
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

G1 is the best tf line. Alternators is more or less updated G1. These are the best lines end of story!

I know their are direct homeages, I'm not complaining about that. I'm complaing about optimus prime with his stupid body, superion and bruticus which are hardly even recognisable as a humanoid style robot, he could be anything. And you do realise energon is for kids, not grown ups. I doubt your young cause youngsters don't watch tfs, thats why it's not really on prime time kids tv. Secondly the robotmaster sales figure comes from going to a shop with 20 starcreams which are now virtually gone, and sh*t loads of other figures. G1 RM convoy and Starscream are hard for alot of dealers to get their hands on, and correct me if I'm wrong but when any site, magazine, add etc shows robot masters, the G1 figures are the headliners.

If anyone seriously thinks energon has satisfied their tf needs and they are not a kid, well what can I say............

The basis is something starts out as an object we recognise, then it amazingly transforms into a robot which has recognisable human or animal proportions.

Energon is something that changes into something with pipes that could be fingers or a canopener, legs which look like a half collapsed ironing board. I can see how toddlers might be amazed by the bright lights and flourescent colours, then mummy will take him down a whole isle of pokemon toys, not some dark dindgy corner of a store where some 25 year old is looking at toys.

dave,if i say f*ck you,will you be offended?cause i really dont like to offend ppl,even if you just used a whole paragraph to offend me,im sure you didnt do that on purpose,but you did.

see,i happen to enjoy energon alot as a toyline.i happen to like bruticus and,though a bit less,i like supirion too.can you look in the pics of the 2 gestalts and tell me the g1 supiron or bruticus were any better?i happen to have one of the ruination repaints,and im sorry i got one ever since.its 2 small bricks and 2 flying vehicles combining with one bigger brick and creating a huge,useless(and unlike e-saber,an ugly one too!) toy from one of my favourite g1 charecters.

starscream was one of my favourite bad guys,but i will take the energon version over the g1 one at anyday.even the robotmasters one isnt as good as the energon version.and if you are so g1 sick,just wait for the e-starscream g1 repaint.

same with e-megs.sure he is a bit chubby,but he is 100000 times more robot looking than g1 megs.he doesnt have that stupid bucket on his face,nor does he need stupid stickers to fill the details.

and though alot of the energon figures has a good alt mode, i would rather the head will show itself on the alt mode than for the robot mode to miss a head in the first place!

i will say nothin bad about the alternators since i do love them,but robotmasters is just a way to take some cash from fans. starscream has almost no leg articulation, beast convoy looks bad and do you really need to have 2000000 repaints of g2 jets in one line?

oh,and btw,though the prices in israel are nothing short than insane(53$ for energon ultra or 40+ for a mega) i still see children looking in cruelocks with amazed looks and running to their mom so they could get one.
*edit*:sorry auros,i just read your reply so ill go back to topic:

MAN I AM SO GLAD I PREORDERED THE BRUTICUS!!the repaints have fairly distant colors and now all ill need to do is to by 2 e-plains and the main big one for a bit of fun scramble!
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Can't we all just be glad that we get this many Transformers in a year? We've already had around 35 Energon figures released this year, plus half a dozen Alternators, more than a dozen Robotmasters, a bunch of reissues, and a heap of Universe. 1984 gave us 30 total.

I love Energon. Nice designs, fun gimmicks, and some rather specific character homages that aren't constrained to the namesakes' histories, all at (in some places) reasonable prices.

The combiners all look fantastic to these eyes. Good articulation and proportions for the individuals and the combined forms, nice color schemes, and again some sweet homages. I only wish they'd varied the reused molds a little, but I can hardly complain.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Is it me? But in both Superlink Gesaults there are only 3 molds? One mould for the body, then one mould for and arm and leg, and then anothermould for a leg and arm. I must say they look alright, but it kinda lmakes me feel half cheated out. Don't gte me wrong I'll be getting them, but its just 3 moulds, with 2 of them being re-used.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Sorry Auros, but I feel the need to reply...
Again, just because you say it, that doesn't make it true. RiD is the best line. End of story. Oh wait, that's my opinion, isn't it?
I know their are direct homeages, I'm not complaining about that. I'm complaing about optimus prime with his stupid body, superion and bruticus which are hardly even recognisable as a humanoid style robot, he could be anything.
Do you really want a list of G1 figures that look worse than the figures you listed? How much time have you got?
And you do realise energon is for kids, not grown ups. I doubt your young cause youngsters don't watch tfs, thats why it's not really on prime time kids tv.

I hope it's for kids. It's a goddamn TOY LINE. And what network, other than Cartoon Network, has prime time cartoons?
Secondly the robotmaster sales figure comes from going to a shop with 20 starcreams which are now virtually gone, and sh*t loads of other figures. G1 RM convoy and Starscream are hard for alot of dealers to get their hands on, and correct me if I'm wrong but when any site, magazine, add etc shows robot masters, the G1 figures are the headliners.
You're misunderstanding the basics of supply and demand. Specialty shops sell out of Robotmasters figures because they're the only places to get them. Robotmasters is a japanese toyline which costs a lot of money to import. I can get an Energon Hot Rod at pretty much any toy store I go to. Why? Because there's a hell of a lot more of them produced, and shock of shocks, they're marketed in the US. Go figure.

If we're going to base sales figures on a single store, let's take BBTS. They were only out of Robotmasters Convoy for a day or two. Same goes for Megatron, who is *gasp* based on a BEAST WARS figure! How dare they! Since then they've had all of the figures in Robotmasters available easily. On the other side of the coin, they tend to sell out of their Superlink and Energon quickly, and don't get restocks of them for a while. Based on that, I'd say demand for Energon and Superlink is much higher than for Robotmasters. But making up sales figures out of the air and without solid numbers is a pointless exercise anyway...
You know what the best part is? I haven't bought a single Energon figure yet. And I still disagree with you. You know why? Because I can still buy Binaltech, Universe and Robotmasters figures and don't want to actively prevent those who enjoy Energon from getting it. As Reflector said, we are lucky to be getting so many TFs in one year, and the majority of them are really good.

Um, how many G1 figures do you own? You do realize that most of them don't have recognizable hands, feet, or even in the case of Ratchet and Ironhide, heads? I could go on and on and on about Huffer's arms and "hands", Cosmos' "hands", Astrotrain's wonderfully proportionate arms, G1 Prime's gangly monkey arms and open-cavity back, the sheer crapitude that is Ratchet and Ironhide, the lego kits that are the seeker jets, Hoist and Trailbreaker's potbellies, Superion's spindly chicken legs, the complete lack of articulation in 95% of G1 toys, the crap weapons that make up Targetmasters... I could go on and on. And I own most of these toys. But you know what? I can look at them without the nostalgia-tinted glasses that you seem to be wearing. I can just accept that different toylines have different audiences, and one does not negate the other. They can coexist, regardless of how I feel about them. Now if they were to cancel Binaltech, well, then I'd be pitching more of a fit that you are right now. ;)

With that said, I'll be getting Energon Superion and Energon Bruticus when they're released here in the US. I like them both, even if their hands aren't little round blobs of plastic with a hole in them to simulate a hand and hold a gun. And yeah, I'd like more than 3 individual molds per gestalt, but as long as they look good, I can accept that. You'd think people would be used to repaints by now, considering we've been getting them for 20 years. Besides, the original Superion was really 2 molds with Silverbolt and 4 slight retoolings of the same mold for the others...

Unless Predaking uses metal in the figures, I have no reason to get him now. I probably would have bought him at some point if he had been part of the TF Collection, sad as that sounds. :)
dedicon
Protoform

Post by dedicon »

Originally posted by Tempest
Is it me? But in both Superlink Gesaults there are only 3 molds? One mould for the body, then one mould for and arm and leg, and then anothermould for a leg and arm. I must say they look alright, but it kinda lmakes me feel half cheated out. Don't gte me wrong I'll be getting them, but its just 3 moulds, with 2 of them being re-used.

your eyes are fine.each gestaltls is built out of one deluxe figure and 2 moulds of basic,which are used twice in each combiner.
but you can scramble with them.getting 2 basic planes and 2 basic milletery and make 1 gestalt
Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

I do believe Flec hit the nail on the head.

The last time I was this psyched about Transformers I was like 6 :)

I mean really Predaking, Stepper, Altenators, a fair amount of Energon is very cool and not the pile of dog-do some people like to say it is and Robotmasters.

Really, how can Transfans not be happy unless they are stuck up fanboy morons?
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by Reflector
Can't we all just be glad that we get this many Transformers in a year?

My feelings exactly. By my count (yes, I keep track of dumb stuff like this), by year's end there will have been at least 245 new Transformers released in 2004. That's mighty impressive; maybe even the most productive year for TF, ever. There's enough toys coming out these days that everyone can find at least a few they like, so there's really no reason to be complaining.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

245? Fascinating! Do you have a breakdown by series? Also, how many of those have actually been released, as opposed to Hasbro claiming they have been (last part's a joke, actually ;)).
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

I don't have them divided by series, but I'll work on getting the list a little more organized when I have time tomorrow.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Cool. Thanks. That's a lot of tfs.
deej
Protoform

Post by deej »

eh?

which world are you living in? Just as a point of interest - TF Energon has been in the #10 selling toys in Australia since their launch late last year.... How can it be that they're broke then?
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

My only complaint is the number of re-paints and remolds to figures I have 2 or 3 of already. I only need one of each mold honest!
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

G1 is quite possibly the worst line. Other than the Autobot Headmasters, Metroplex, Computron and Defensor, there isn't a single G1 toy that I'd like to own. Sure, Energon hasn't captured my imagination either, but despite that, tehre are some damn nice figures in the line. I'll probably be picking up the Prime/Megatron two pack for instance, should it ever be released over here.

Personally I'd like to see less G1 rereleases, and more rereleases of G2 and MW, which were both generally better lines.

-Ss