Peter Cullen confirmed as Optimus Prime in the new TF movie

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Peter Cullen confirmed as Optimus Prime in the new TF movie?

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Wasn't he quoted a little while ago as saying that no one had approached him about the role?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=103448

Confirmed.

Well, that's a bit of good news anyway.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Denyer
Well, that's a bit of good news anyway.

Definitely.

I'm ok with them altering a lot of the premises, looks, storylines, etc. to the point that they're all completely new, but it is essentially a movie targeted at a nostalgia audience, and having the original Prime's voice actor will help that aspect of the movie quite a bit.

At least, it was the only link to the original series that I was pining for. :)
Camarobot
Protoform

Post by Camarobot »

For those wondering, this was the big Transformers exclusive bombshell G4 has been playing up for a couple weeks.
They had an interview with some guy, he said that they won't know who will voice Megs until post-production.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Clay
I'm ok with them altering a lot of the premises, looks, storylines, etc. to the point that they're all completely new, but it is essentially a movie targeted at a nostalgia audience, and having the original Prime's voice actor will help that aspect of the movie quite a bit.
Yeah. It's the only "tradition" thing I was really hoping for, as I think he carries the gravitas better than more recent voice actors who've played Prim(es|als)...
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Yes.
Now that Cullen's on board for Prime it's only fitting that Welker to Megatron. I hope.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Honestly not too fussed, as David Kaye is one of the things I've liked about later TF series I've seen bits of. Either would be fine for giving a villain some menace.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Denyer
Yeah. It's the only "tradition" thing I was really hoping for, as I think he carries the gravitas better than more recent voice actors who've played Prim(es|als)...

It was a John Wayne voice with a filter on it...and where was the gravitas in the original series? :p

I don't care that he's Prime other than I'm glad that they got a voice talent instead of paying off some regular actor to do his own voice.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

As long as he does Ironhide as well, I'm thrilled. :D
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Zizicez
Protoform

Post by Zizicez »

wow, i guess David Kane (sp?) and Gary Chalk really got shafted

they are both really good voice actors and i was pulling for them... oh well

the real question is:

are Cullen and Welker even good voice actors? in a "real" movie can they make me feel for a character the way say Kevin Spacey makes me feel for his character in American beauty?

im really worried about their level of talent
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

Don't be.

Bay cast Cullen for two reasons - one that Don Murphy has been utterly relentless in ramming down his throat that it's what a vast amount of people wanted, but two that Cullen did a GREAT audition that he LOVED.

if Bay didn't think he was up to the task, if he was in any way not right in his eyes, he wouldn't have been cast.

That's what the audition was for. Cullen tested and he passed with flying colours.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Cullen I'm good with, to be honest... He can do the voice superbly, and it fits Prime's character - let's be honest, for RiD/Armada/Whatever, Chalk was doing a Cullen impression, however well. Why hire The Strokes when Television are up for the gig?

David Kaye, however, would make a much better Megatron than Frank Welker. While I'd love to have Welker onboard doing some voices, Kaye's Megatron was altogether more threatening and sinister. Welker's just sounded like a whiny bitch. Actually, to be fair, I wouldn't object to Welker doing Megatron if he (as we know he's capable of) injected a bit more into the role; I wouldn't want him abck and redoing his G1 interpretation.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

'86 movie Megs is sharper than the series before it, anyway -- the wheedling there was more the scripts he was given. Kaye's voice is (appropriately) more organic -- but given some voice processing could be made to sound as if coming out of a giant boxy/spindly robot rather than a svelte tyrannosaur.
Originally posted by Zizicez
are Cullen and Welker even good voice actors?
They were establishing their ranges before either of us was born.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0191520/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0919798/

Most Hollywood films have worse acting than kids' TV, so I don't know what you're talking about with "real" films... this new TF flick isn't going to be a Hitchcock classic.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

I am very pleased about Peter Cullen playing Prime. I just don't understand all this dislike for the more recent voices for Prime. I think Cybertron is the best TF cartoon since G1 and both Prime's voice and Megatron's voice sound great. Prime has an authority in his voice that sounds like a compassionate yet strong leader. I do agree with the statement that Megatron's later voices seem more menacing, if a little less metallic.
This movie will delight us as fans. I love great movies (I watch Citizen Kane and GoodFellas about once a month) yet I can appreciate movies made for a specific audience, such as Kevin Smith and John Carpenter films.
The teaser keeps giving me chills. "....IT WAS THE ONLY WARNING WE WOULD EVER GET..."
I am so excited.
Come on and wind me up.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by another tf fan
I think Cybertron is the best TF cartoon since G1
That's not exactly saying much... pretty much the only thing the original had going for it as scripted was the voices, whereas the later series at least have more ongoing plots.
Dragon Warrior Steve
Protoform

Post by Dragon Warrior Steve »

Great ****ing news, made my day.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Good news. Probably would have been just as happy with Chalk, but good news none the less.
Bruticus13
Protoform

Post by Bruticus13 »

Oh wow, that made me grin and warmed me up inside.

Bit typical though- this is something the fandom's been crying out and yet you can guarantee some people'll still whine and bitch. Sigh.
"The point is, you're a fool."