You know, they really messed up with Hot Rod/Rodimus.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Darclipto
Protoform

You know, they really messed up with Hot Rod/Rodimus.

Post by Darclipto »

I will first start by saying that I am a fan of Hot Rod. I actually saw very little of the series (because Im too young), and really got most of my opinions on characters from the movie. I was around 4-5 when I first saw the movie, and my favorite character right from the start wsa Hot Rod. Why? He was red (my favorite color) and he turned into a sports car. It was, of course, much to my delite that Hot Rod became leader and saved the day in the end. Well, after seeing the movie for the first time in a long time, I have come to the conclusion that the creators were mentally challenged.

Why, if you were trying to build up a new character who will eventually end up as the new leader, would you have him be partly responsible for the death of the most beloved and popular character in all of Transformers history? Not only did he completely fail to prevent Megatron from grabbing the gun, but he was easily beaten and made into a shield.

Not only did this make Hot Rod hated by many fans, but just the whole concept that they should replace that "crusty old" Optimus for a young hip rebel is almost insulting.

While I do not hate Hot Rod merely for my early attachment to him, I cannot deny how stupidly his character was introduced and made into leader.
Lambda prime
Protoform

Post by Lambda prime »

In a way Optimus brought it on him self, he had Megatron on his knees he supposadly knows Decepticons and yet he never sussed that Megatrons motions and pleas for compassion were a ploy.
Hot Rod on the other hand went to help Prime, he underestimated Megatrons strength and Megatron used Optimuses own weakness against him by using Hot Rod as a shield.
Alphadog
Check out Ebay store for Armada, Energon, Alternators, 20th Anniversery figures:
Jil sells all
Undeaddan/
Friends site
Tacticalunderground
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

The 'Megatron uses Hot Rod as a shield' is also omitted from the (horrible) comic adaptation.

I kinda hope they'll make the same change to the upcoming IDW version.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Originally posted by Lambda prime
... Hot Rod on the other hand went to help Prime, he underestimated Megatrons strength and Megatron used Optimuses own weakness against him by using Hot Rod as a shield.

Thats the best defense I have ever heard for Hot Rod, and really makes a good case.
I think of the 1986 autobots Hot Rod's alt mode has become one of the most dated designs. His robot form was actually pretty good. better proportioned than Rodimus' robot. Even when I was a kid and saw the movie (sheesh...days from being 20 years ago) I thought Hot Rod's car design rather overwrought.
With that mind set I have harshly judged Hot Rod and you, Lambda prime, have given me a new perspective. Thanks.
Come on and wind me up.
Darclipto
Protoform

Post by Darclipto »

Hot Rod on the other hand went to help Prime, he underestimated Megatrons strength and Megatron used Optimuses own weakness against him by using Hot Rod as a shield.

That is what was intented to be shown, but what was shown was Hot Rod jumping on Megatron who, with no effort at all, held Hot Rod in place without a struggle. It's obvious what is supposed to be happening, but it really doesn't look right when watching it. Maybe this is just due to poor animation.

Anyway, it is this scene alone that has caused much of the undeserved hatred for Hot Rod.

My whole point is that the creators were foolish to have the character they were building up to be the new leader, especially one that debuted about 15 minutes earlier, to be at all involved in Prime's death.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Most people love Hot Rod, regardless of his cock-up, but hate Rodimus because he spent the entirety of Season 3 brooding about how his folks don't understand him...
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Meh. I dislike Hot Rod as character and prefer Rodimus Prime. Watched some time ago season 3 and didn't find character being too whiny. Dislike cartoon Optimus "steroetype" Prime also.

A bit off topic. When I watched the movie first time I interpreted the "shield situation" so that OP was going to shoot anyway, even if Hot Rod was in the way. OP raises the gun slightly at the same time as Megatron fires.
Hound

Post by Hound »

See I tend to not take the cartoon into consideration when judging which characters I like or dislike as the cartoon did such a poor job with just about every character.

I think the only characters I like or dislike because of the cartoon is Galvatron because he was just funny, and Starscream because he was lame.

I thought Hot Rod had a much better alt. mode than Rodimus so I like Hot Rod better.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Hot Rod is the eager kid and I quite like how Lambada puts the defence. Being a cartoon - well, it's just a cartoon, but you do get the idea that Rodders jumps in because he thinks Prime can't take any more and doesn't really analyse the situation. Maybe Prime would have shot Megatron, even through Rodders, but I doubt it.

I look at the series and wonder whether Rodimus' self-doubt stems from doing the right thing and getting it wrong, which resulted in Prime's termination. Prime never explicitly forgives Hot Rod, even though he asks for forgiveness, and this might have some bearing on Rodimus.

Um.

I like both Hot Rod and Rodimus, but this has set me thinking again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
metroprimeus
Protoform

Post by metroprimeus »

In a way, Prime bought it onto himself...when Megatron was stalling for time, Optimus wasted precious seconds engaging in meaningless dialogue like "You, a man without mercy......I thought you were made of sterner stuffs."

Just damn shoot and blast away...

Optimus would have go on and on like asking Megatron if he had any last words / final wish like to be buried on Cyberton or maybe a last energon cube meal before he pull the trigger.

while Rodimus never got over the shadow of Optimus Prime...

Compared to ( the start of TF the movie ) when Optimus had left them...and Rodimus and the autobots toward the end of Season 3. The Autobots at season 3 are agruably at a stronger position than the deceptions who are reduced to a guerilla force under Galvatron. Rodimus had done well but never felt confident being a leader.

You would have thought that Roddy should have overcame his inner demons after the episodes of ( The Burden Hardest to bear and the Dark Awakening ) when he learnt a lot about himself.

But soon after, we see Rodimus moaning again in front of the great leader status. ( Return of Optimus Prime )

:smokin:
Hang on to your dreams, the Future is built on dreams, Hang on...
Duozenith558
Protoform

Post by Duozenith558 »

Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime are my favorite Transformers!

While I do not hate Hot Rod merely for my early attachment to him, I cannot deny how stupidly his character was
introduced and made into leader.

Well, Hot Rod was the Chosen One and seeing there can't be two Primes at once I'd say that Prime had to die, and as it was pointed, Prime would have died anyways since Megatron would have shot him anyway.

It would have been nice to get better introductions to all the characters not just Hot Rod, he redeems himself throughout the movie and in the end, The Matrix accepts him and he fulfills his destiny and destroys Unicron.
I look at the series and wonder whether Rodimus' self-doubt stems from doing the right thing and getting it wrong, which resulted in Prime's termination. Prime never explicitly forgives Hot Rod, even though he asks for forgiveness, and this might have some bearing on Rodimus.

When Hot Rod acquires the Matrix from Galvatron, it is Optimus' voice that says, "Arise Rodimus Prime!" Otherwise I don't consider it to be a factor. I think the reason his personality changed was the backlash to Optimus' death, or did the producers of the cartoon always intend to bring Optimus Prime back?
Not only did this make Hot Rod hated by many fans, but just the whole concept that they should replace that "crusty old" Optimus for a young hip rebel is almost insulting.

Watch the movie again, and look at Hot Rod's actions/emotions as the movie progresses. :)
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Originally posted by Duozenith558

It would have been nice to get better introductions to all the characters not just Hot Rod...

I don't think Hot Rod got any kind of intro. He just shows up 15 minutes into the movie fishing with another character you hadn't heard of at that point.

I know that there was much more planning put int tf:tm than the show, yet the writers just slushed off the backstories. I think there was a realeffort put into not bothering to wxplain where the 1986 characters came from.
Come on and wind me up.
metroprimeus
Protoform

Post by metroprimeus »

Originally posted by another tf fan
I don't think Hot Rod got any kind of intro. He just shows up 15 minutes into the movie fishing with another character you hadn't heard of at that point.

I know that there was much more planning put int tf:tm than the show, yet the writers just slushed off the backstories. I think there was a realeffort put into not bothering to wxplain where the 1986 characters came from.

agree...there should be a grandstand finale battle at autobot city featuring all the transformers gestalt like Omega Supreme, Superion, Protectbots, Bruticus, Menasor.

and characters like Tracks, Sideswipe, Bluestreak, Smokescreen should be given a heroic death in their bid to defend autobot city.

it's not too hard, isn't it?

But they planned TF movie way too early.

:smokin:
Hang on to your dreams, the Future is built on dreams, Hang on...
exodus42
Protoform

Post by exodus42 »

It's always the kid with the bad attitude and cocky smirk that ends up leader.

1. Cheetor-BM
2. Falcon-GI Joe(the Movie was Basically centered around him)
3.Lion-O - Thundercats
4.Luke-Star wars
5.Cannonball- X-Force

Anyone show has been lead by hotheaded young scrappers all who were created to appeal to the younger generation.

By the way I love Hot Rods character even to this day I feel he did what any autobot should do self-sacrifice for the greater good.:smokin:
If you want "peace" the only thing you must do is...DIE
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Falcon led GIJoe when now?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Osku
A bit off topic. When I watched the movie first time I interpreted the "shield situation" so that OP was going to shoot anyway, even if Hot Rod was in the way. OP raises the gun slightly at the same time as Megatron fires.

And he bloody well should have done.

By not shooting, he makes a mockery of the whole "no matter the cost" diatribe.
exodus42
Protoform

Post by exodus42 »

Originally posted by Brendocon
And he bloody well should have done.

By not shooting, he makes a mockery of the whole "no matter the cost" diatribe.

Agreed!:smokin:
If you want "peace" the only thing you must do is...DIE
Duozenith558
Protoform

Post by Duozenith558 »

But they planned TF movie way too early.

Yeah, I think it should have been like GI Joe The Movie and released at the end of the cartoon series. In GI Joe The Movie, it features all the characters if they don't speak. TFTM was planned midway thru 1985? That's why so many characters are missing from the Battle of Autobot City. Decepticons already had all their troops, they were only missing 11 Deceps (Combaticons, Stunticons and Buzzsaw). The Autobots are missing the most soldiers; 27 Autobots never show up in the movie, even though they existed in season 2!

(FYI: the missing Autobots are:

Gears
Mirage
Trailbreaker
Sideswipe
Hoist
Inferno (but listed in the credits)
Skids
Red Alert
Tracks
Smokescreen
Skids
Warpath
Beachcomber
Powerglide
Cosmos
Seaspray
Omega Supreme
The Protectobots
The Aerialbots)

TFTM would have felt more complete, more epic if they had more characters. Also if they had made a pre movie season 3 to introduce the characters, the Matrix, build suspense and mystery around Unicron, etc.
Darclipto
Protoform

Post by Darclipto »

I.... feel that my points are misunderstood... I like Hot Rod/Rodimus... I never said I didn't
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

I don't think your points are misunderstood, it's just a hot button around here. For many of us, we were watching the transformers merrily as children, and dutifuly went to the movie when we were bitch slapped by Optimus' death and kicked in the groin with "Rodimus" Prime.

It was oddly traumatic and we haven't forgotton.

So any Hot Rod/Rodimus topic is going to veer off into "let's hate Rodimus one more time, for old time's sake". If we were more rational people we would just brush it off as so much marketing drivel. But we are fans and there for we act fanatical on certain subjects.
Come on and wind me up.