best episode?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
[cable]-Iacon
Protoform

best episode?

Post by [cable]-Iacon »

We had a topic called worst episode very interesting
reading btw:)

Now i want to know wich episode(s) is the best ?

Have to go with the first three episodes (MMTME) because ill never get tired of watching them..:D
Divide et Impera..
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I've got to be obvious and go for Dark Awakening... it's just so daring and totally subversive... it's the single best representation of Optimus Prime as an icon, a total understanding of what Prime means and what can be done with this iconism... I'm still surprised they managed to get the thing made. One of the ultimate heroes comes back from the dead and tries to kill the Autobots, and it's a close-run thing... there's not even a moronically happy ending - the Autobot fleet is decimated with a probably-high loss of life and Optimus dies. And what do Sunbow do? They not only commission The Return of Optimus Prime, they totally **** it up to boot. Idiots. Cretins. It'd be like reviving Scorponok and getting him to run around like a goon for G2.

Other ones I like are Auto-Beserk, for showing at least one of the Autobots to be something other than a laughing, joking zombie - shame that at all other times Red is "third Autobot from the left". Bastards. Fools. Trained Monkeys. Badly Trained Monkeys.

And despite the total arsehole behaviour of Roddy, and some horribly lazy animation [there are too many moments when characters blatantly aren't coloured in - the second half looks like it was by a different company], the pin-sharp dialgoue and sheer badassery of Air Raid early on carry "Fight or Flee" past me...

I find most other episodes to have at least one annoying flaw, I'm afraid - "A Thief in the Night" is almost great, but I refuse to watch the thing because of the healthy dose of rascism at the end. REMEMBER KIDS, ANYONE WHO'S WAY OF LIFE IS DIFFERENT FROM AMERICA'S IS WRONG, AND THEIR CULTURE SHOULD BE MOCKED!

Starscream's needlessly complicated behaviour in the "Ghost" arc takes the shine off that one for me... Though I find the Spike/Bumblebee scene gets a strong sense of nostalgia for me, which is odd as I have very negative feelings about the pre-Movie cartoon :confused:

"Triple Takeover" is a fantastic synopsis, but the actual episode has far too many total lapses in logic...

"Five Faces of Darkness" deserves big points for sheer verve and bravery, but I can never escape the fact I simply don't like the origin, and the animation errors overstep the mark a few times.
Gruff
Protoform

Post by Gruff »

Megatrons Master Plan was always one of my faves. Watching the seekers take apart that city half way thru was awesome and then the air battle against the humans was pretty cool. but that kick ass battle right at the end just showed how bad ass the autobots could be when pushed to the limit.

SOS Dinobots is also another of my faves, their intro to the TF cartoon and the amount of carnage they could cause was class!!

Dark Awakenings see Cliffys post above.

And finally i think The Key To Vector Sigma and Starscreams Brigade for the sheer oomph factor
Gruff 3:16 says Brendocon is da man!!Image
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Even though I didn't actually see it until the episodes were released on video a few years ago, The Killing Jar is a favorite of mine...it would get top ranking if it weren't for the series of highly improbable obstacles that drive the narrative. Still, we get lots of Cyclonus and Ultra Magnus, and that's a good thing.

Webworld is a quality episode, because we're given one rather amusing fight scene followed by nothing but Cyclonus confusion and the kind of insanity that only Galvatron can deliver. Granted, there isn't much of a plot and the last third can get somewhat tiresome, which keeps it away from (but not far from) the top slot.

Both post-movie Starscream episodes are fun, but I can't get through either without thinking that there's got to be an easier way for Screamer to go about his business. Same goes for War of the Dinobots; Grimlock & Co. vs. Optimus and the Dinobot battle are both great scenes, but I can't shake the feeling that Megatron could have done something better with the Dinos than simply putting them on his side. Wouldn't a blast in the back do?

For me, it always comes back to Divide & Conquer. Great action scenes, a near-death experience on Cybertron, Optimus in danger, the space bridge, Megatron putting together a good plan and being utterly ruthless for once, and just about everyone from both armies making a contribution. I can't change...greatest episode ever.
[cable]-Iacon
Protoform

Post by [cable]-Iacon »

For me, it always comes back to Divide & Conquer

One of my favourites too..
Divide et impera= Divide and Conquer... :)

If you look at it one season at the time if think S1 is the strongest.. but thats just my opinion...
Divide et Impera..
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

I believe that Dark Awakening is the best G1 episode. Not only was the story compelling and, I have to say, touching, it is the king of character portrayal: the Quintessons get to do something truly evil and not stupid for once (and it almost works), Daniel is tolerable, the Dinobots provide some fairly good comedy for once, Optimus is both frightening and heroic, and Rodimus gets a spine at the end...

My favorite story arc has always been FFOD, despite the bad animation... having five episodes to tell a story just opens up so many more possibilities for development.

Other ones I like are the final 3 episodes of season 1 (Countdown to Extinction, A Plague of Insecticons, Heavy Metal War) and the Starscream's Brigade/Revenge of Bruticus story, just because they're fun.
Hang on to your ego.
Flesh Creature
Protoform

Post by Flesh Creature »

Dark Awakening, or Ghost in the machine.
Rolfey
Protoform

Post by Rolfey »

Dark Awakening was an awesome episode but I always liked the key to vector sigma the best. The only problem I had with it was superions voice at the end of part 2
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

Post by Almighty Galvatron »

Webworld, return of Optimus Prime part 2, Fight or Flee, Theif in the Night, Desertion of the Dinobots parts 1 and 2, the Master Builders, Dweller in the Depths.

And of course; Carnage in C Minor;)
Crazomatic
Protoform

Post by Crazomatic »

I loved "Return of Optimus Prime", "Prime Target" best.

I didn't like Dark Awakening as kid because it was scary for me but I understand it now. I just didn't like them abusing my favorite charater, but that's okay, he's back so :p
Silly boys. . . . . . Transformers are for girls!
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

I always liked The Return of Optimus Prime because, well, I like Optimus Prime, but there are just so many problems with it... like Cliffjumper pointed out, it makes Dark Awakening so much less meaningful... here we have Prime at his noblest, sacrificing himself to save the Autobots, and what does it mean in the end? Apparently nothing more important than trying to boost the show's waning popularity... so Michael Charles Hill said "ok, let's say instead of Optimus piloting the flagship to certain death under heavy Quintesson fire, and the rest of the Autobots watching as he goes up along with a star and two planets, everyone leaves before he gets there which gives a couple of scientists which happen to be studying the same star time to find him and rescue him (and for him to be repaired and die before they get on the ship). How's that?" Unfortunately, no one who cared was asked...

The end of DA was so conclusive, that I have trouble thinking of a way to rewrite TROOP to make it work... which I guess is why they had to do this massive retcon...
Hang on to your ego.
[cable]-Iacon
Protoform

Post by [cable]-Iacon »

so Michael Charles Hill said "ok, let's say instead of Optimus piloting the flagship to certain death under heavy Quintesson fire, and the rest of the Autobots watching as he goes up along with a star and two planets, everyone leaves before he gets there which gives a couple of scientists which happen to be studying the same star time to find him and rescue him

Agreed, Im a big OP fan but by the time of dark awakening i thought he hade served his purpose to the Cartoon,
And thats why i dont like that episode that much..
Divide et Impera..
Bluebee
Protoform

Post by Bluebee »

There is no best episode for me. Though there is that scene from "Hoist Goes Hollywood" where Megatron follows through with his threats towards Starscream (best scene). Much like Autobeserk "The Master Builder" showed a different side of Grapple and actually made him a character with more than one dimension.

Plus there is any episode or scene with Skids :cool:
E Nice
Protoform

Post by E Nice »

Originally posted by Rolfey
Dark Awakening was an awesome episode but I always liked the key to vector sigma the best. The only problem I had with it was superions voice at the end of part 2

Megatron: ...Stunticons unite!......Behold, Menasor.

Menasor: *garbled roar*

OP: Aerialbots, show 'em what you've got.

Megatron: No, it can't be.

OP: Surprise Megatron. Meet Superion.

Trypicon: Menasor crush, destroy!

Sludge: Talk is cheap.

Director: Cut!!

Megatron: Damn it Trypicon, the Autobots aren't supposed to be aware of your existance till they show us Metroplex. Go back to under the sea...

Starscream: Under the sea
Darling, it’s better
Down where it’s wetter
Take it from me.

What?

OP: Who let the Dinobots out of the closet? And don't say Teletran-1. I specifically programmed it so it would never call them out again. That was Superion's battle line, ruined. Bad Sludge, bad. Back to the closet with you.

I've got a good mind to unscrew his optical sensors just enough so next time he gets hit by Devestator his eyes will pop out.

Director: We're on a tight budget and deadline.

OP: Forget it, let's just continue to film the fight scene. Little kids won't know the difference if errors happen or not.
Crazomatic
Protoform

Post by Crazomatic »

LOL! You're hilarious!
Silly boys. . . . . . Transformers are for girls!
Jumpstart
Protoform

Post by Jumpstart »

Me, I'll label my favs/personal bests by season

Season 1:
- Roll For It! (my favorite for so many years)
- Countdown to Extinction
- Heavy Metal War (as much as I hate the conscept of a big fight to see who's better, the introduction of the Constructicons was a good concept)

Season 2:
- City of Steel
- Blaster Blues (I just love the old "BLASTER, SHUT UP!!" scene)
- Dinobot Island Part 2
- Kremzeek!
- The God Gambit
- Prime Target (this episode is just so cool, Optimus fighting through a myriad of traps and fights)

Season 3:
- Grimlock's New Brain (He's a favorite character of mine, I admit it!)
- Starscream's Ghost (or was Ghost in the Machine the one where he possesses various transformers and causes chaos? I forget)
- The Return of Optimus Prime Parts 1 & 2 (Or have I mixed up part 1 with Dark Awakening? Alot of what Grandmaster Shockwave and Cliffjumper posted leaves me guessing)

Season 4/Rebirth: Haven't seen at all.
Gruff
Protoform

Post by Gruff »

which episode is Kremzeek?? :eyebrow:
Gruff 3:16 says Brendocon is da man!!Image
Jumpstart
Protoform

Here's a helping hand

Post by Jumpstart »

Originally posted by Gruff
which episode is Kremzeek?? :eyebrow:

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

It's the one with the spark-looking pest that can go in and out of electronic substances like a lightening bolt through a tree. It can invade computers, cars, robots, etc.

The funny thing about the episode is the amount of chases that end with either a big goof-up on the Autobot's part, or with wacky things being done to any victim of Kremzeek. Poor Jazz, Smokescreen and Hoist do all these wierd contortions and stuff around the beginning of the episode. I won't spoil the rest, because then the fun may just as well be wasted.
E Nice
Protoform

Post by E Nice »

Ummm..the one titled Kremzeek! where Megatron creates Kremzeek and then by blunder Blaster makes more Kremzeeks and then the Autobots merge them all to make one giant Kremzeek. Really. :D
Hound

Post by Hound »

I like the idea of Headmasters so "Rebirth" gets high marks from me.

"MTMTE", "Heavy Metal War" and "City of Steel" I love because they are the episodes I remember most vividly watching as a child.

"Webworld" is probably the best depiction of Galvatron ever.

Oh and "Key to Vector Sigma" is still enjoyable for me...

I refuse to name "Dark Awakening" as a fave, you're all sheep :p