Rate these comic book movies.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

Rate these comic book movies.

Post by Jetfire »

And I do't want to hear any complaints about "It's not like the comic book". Sure some films could benifit from that but basically its a complaint I hate as much must be changed when you transfer across a medium hence why LotR was so great and Harry Potter so average.

Superman
Batman
Spider-man
X-men
Batman Returns
Superman 2
Flash Gordon
From Hell
Ghost World
Men in Black
Blade
Blade 2
Tank Girl
Superman 3
Batman forever
Batman & Robin
Batman the movie (Adam west version)
The Green Knight

Re: Rate these comic book movies.

Post by The Green Knight »

Superman - One of my all time favs; Lex Luthor provides one of Villainy's Finest Hours

Batman - Jack Nicholson RULES...

Spider-man - Haven't seen it yet, might not either; I'm not that big a Spidey fan...

X-men - I liked it... could have been better, but then again, it could have been much, much worse...

Batman Returns - Well, Max Shrek was Evil, and Catwoman wore skin-tight vinyl... but other than that...

Superman 2 - "I see you are practiced in worshipping things that fly... good." Few villains can match up to General Zod. Oh, and Ursa... Mmm...

Flash Gordon - Couldn't stay interested long enough to sit through it.

From Hell - Didn't see it.

Ghost World - Didn't see it.

Men in Black - Great flick

Blade - More bad than good...

Blade 2 - Didn't see it.

Tank Girl - Uh, well, at least Lori Petty and Malcolm MacDowell looked the part...

Superman 3 - Hmm... well, it did have Robert Vaughn, and he is quite Evil, but...

Batman forever - Cramming Two-Face and the Riddler into a single movie is too much...

Batman & Robin - A cardboard cutout of Val Kilmer could have done a better job than Clooney...

Batman the movie - I hated this movie and the series it was a part of...

You forgot Superman IV: The Quest For Peace... and rightfully so, since it sucked. Really bad.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Superman - 4/10
Batman - 7/10
Spider-man - not seen yet
X-men - 3/10
Batman Returns - 5/10
Superman 2 - Was that the one with the three criminals? if yes, 5/10
Flash Gordon - 2/10, though wasn't Flash a movie serial first?
From Hell - not seen
Ghost World - not seen
Men in Black - 1/10 [hate Will Smith...]
Blade - 8/10 - it had TRACI LORDS IN IT!
Blade 2 - Not Seen
Tank Girl - 0/10
Superman 3 - The one with evil radioactive man? 1/10
Batman forever - 6/10
Batman & Robin - -14/10
Batman the movie (Adam west version) - +15/10
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Superman 8/10
Batman 8/10
Spider-man 4/10
X-men 4/10
Batman Returns 6/10
Superman 2 7/10
Flash Gordon 2/10
From Hell 6/10
Ghost World not seen
Men in Black 7/10
Blade 9/10
Blade 2 5/10
Tank Girl not seen
Superman 3 0/10
Batman forever 4/10
Batman & Robin 2/10
Batman the movie (Adam west version) 1/10
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Silly Cow

Post by Silly Cow »

Superman 8/10
Batman 9/10
Spider-man 9/10
X-men 7/10
Batman Returns 8/10
Superman 2 5/10
Flash Gordon 4/10
From Hell haven't seen
Ghost World haven't seen
Men in Black 8/10
Blade 8/10
Blade 2 6/10
Tank Girl 6/10
Superman 3 4/10
Batman forever 5/10
Batman & Robin 3/10
Batman the movie (Adam west version) 8/10 (for purely comedic reasons)
Thanks D!
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Superman - its only disadvantage is that it got old, first two good, third not, I haven't seen fourth

Batman - Burton's one with Keaton are what Batman film should be, Schumacher ones are too equiped with special effects which Dark Night doesn't need, Forever quite watchable, as for B&R, I don't wanna ever see it again

Spider-man - to me, the best comic film since, hmm first Batman, very good, unfortunately I fear sequels won't equal the first one
how about those old 3(?) Spider-man movies? :)

X-men - no, actually besides final fight this was rather bad

Flash Gordon - I dunno, I watched Dune yesterday and I thought 'Flash Gordon was better than this'

From Hell, Ghost World - there are comics with these titles? What are they about?

Men in Black - first was good and funny, I liked it

Blade - first great, Snipes and Dorff rule, second one rather crappy, those stupid vampire-eating creatures messed me whole film

Batman the movie (Adam west version) - got to see it someday :)

What about:

Punisher
Flash (not gordon)
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Don;t have the time to post analyses on my lunch break here, but I will ask, does The Crow count?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1
And I do't want to hear any complaints about "It's not like the comic book". Sure some films could benifit from that but basically its a complaint I hate as much must be changed when you transfer across a medium hence why LotR was so great and Harry Potter so average.

But that's a perfectly viable reason why someone might not like them. So in effect, you're asking people to rate these movies without one factir which may affect a person's liking of them. It's like saying "I don't want to hear someone moan about rubbishy special effects", which again could well be a problem from media transfer.
Gundam Primus
Protoform
Location: [Billy Madison] "Back to school..back to school..to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool.."[/B

Post by Gundam Primus »

Ok, I will join the fray...

Batman- The first two were great. Burton captured the dark, gritty apperance of both Gotham and Batman quite well. Although I wil admit, the first was a bit better than Returns. Forever...ehhh...it's tolerable, I'll give it that much. And B&R?
Well... (if I may use a Simpsons quote) "AHH! Burn it! Send it to hell!!"

Superman- Ah. It's been so long since I've seen them, I don't really know what to say, other than I enjoyed them. IV, I know, was the worst.

Spider-Man- Absolutely loved it. For those of you who thought it was lacking, I'd be curious to see what your perspectives are.

X-Men- Pretty good. But, I'll see if X2 can improve on it's predecessor.

Flash Gordon Have not seen it. Probably won't, either.

From Hell- Have not seen it. I want to, though.

Ghost World- Have no idea...

Men in Black- Loved the first one. The second just didn't do it for me.

Blade- Haven't seen either of them.

Tank Girl- Haven't seen it.

Batman (Adam West)- Heh. It's good for laughs.

And, yeah, what about The Crow? I loved that, too.
:) Thanks to Quicksilver and Stone Cold Skywarp for their help.
Without resolution, we cannot fight." - Trowa Barton, Gundam Wing

The God of Death is back from Hell! - Duo Maxwell (I love that one.)
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Superman-I need to see this one...

Batman-A good film. Jack Nicholson is awesome as the Joker and it stays more true to the comic than any of the following Batman films.

Spider-man-Quite possibly my favorite. Sam Raimi once again proves he's an awesome director. The cameos and references are sweet, the acting is great and the action is superb.

X-men-I'm partial to this one becuase I've always been a big X-men fan. Some lines are just intollerbly stupid (Rogue runs away from home and gives herself a codename? Toads getting struck by lightning? Blech...). I still liked it a great deal, though. The concentration camp scene was very well done, IMO.

Batman Returns-The streak of awful Batman films began here. I just didn't like it.

Superman 2-Need to see it...

Flash Gordon-Don't plan on seeing it.

From Hell-I've heard good things, but I never read the comic so I didn't see the flick.

Ghost World-Doesn't interest me.

Men in Black-Never read the comic but the movie was great. The cartoon also happens to be one of my favorite american action cartoons. I also dug the sequel, though nobody else seemed too.

Blade-Awesome flick. You didn't have to read the comic to enjoy this movie. Wesley Snipes was awesome.

Blade 2-A lesser version of the first film. But still, it had it's moments.

Tank Girl-SO annoying I could puke. Why did I waste my time?

Superman 3-God dammit...

Batman forever-I swear to god I saw a flying car in this movie....somewhere. It was crap, lots and lots of crap. But not as bad as

Batman & Robin-What the hell were they thinking? Don't get me started on this one.

Batman the movie (Adam west version)-Funny for its campyness and little else. The ending was outrageous. "The End....?" The hell? Where's my Bat-Shark Repellent?
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Re: Re: Rate these comic book movies.

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by Ozz
From Hell, Ghost World - there are comics with these titles? What are they about? What about:
Punisher

From Hell is about the Jack the Ripper murders.
Ghost World beats me.

The Punisher is in my opinion the all time WORST comic movie.

Burn it and send it to Hell fast!
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Superman-Watched this movie alot as a kid, and Marlon Brando gives a good performance.

Batman-Saw this movie alot as well yet the charm has worn off. The soundtrack has also lost its output in my ears

Spider-man-Terrific film, one of the best comic book movies ever made. Sam Raimi is a visionary, and can you say "MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE!"I own this on DVD

X-men-It was good when I saw it in the theatres, I have no real
desire to see it again, or to own the DVD.

Batman Returns- This was good in the theatres, I think they made the Penguin too dark. Catwoman was hot!

Superman 2- Good film as good as the first, good fight scenes and some comedy as well.

Flash Gordon-Saw this movie alottoo much so I no longer view it.

From Hell-Way better than the comic book. The comic book was a dread to read, this movie was very fast paced and entertaining. I own this one on DVD

Ghost World-Nah

Men in Black-It was ok, yet why is this a comic book movie? If it is where is Robocop, Masters of the Universe, and the Punisher?

Blade-This was a good movie, and the second one was well done.

Blade 2-Well done!Owned

Tank Girl-Pass and glad I did, according to Doc Spengs;)

Superman 3-Richard Pryor was a dare and it made the movie entertaining. Also the battle of 2 Supermans was good.

Batman forever- Too many villians, otherwise it could have been great.

Batman & Robin-Bleugh!

Batman the movie (Adam west version) -I like this film it has lots of camp value and is better than the other Bat films. At least its original, and I believe Adam West to be the best Batman, he has the best chin before his surgery.

Some you missed as before I mentioned.

Masters of the Universe-It had some good special effects, yet the plot and storyline was stretched too thin. Other wise an ok film.

Robocop-One of the great classic films of our time. A man blown to bits is brought back to life as a robot cop. All the while having visions of his past. Gruesomly violent and funny at times this movie is way above the norm. Shame about the sequels.

The Punisher-The only problem with this film is the lack of a skull on the t-shirt. It has plenty of action and a solid storyline. Even if this movie was not based upon Frank Castle it would still be a good action flick. Owned!
Ultimate Weapon

Re: Re: Re: Rate these comic book movies.

Originally posted by Cyberstrike nTo
From Hell is about the Jack the Ripper murders.
Ghost World beats me.

The Punisher is in my opinion the all time WORST comic movie.

Burn it and send it to Hell fast!

Yer wrong its a good action flick, eevn if it was not based upon the character
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Ok, now that I have time to do it...

Superman: 8/10 - Actually made Superman work. Very good.

Batman: 7/10 - Even though the Joker takes over, Burton handled the character quite well, and it definitely has a comic book feel to it that just feels "right."

Spider-man:9/10 - As close to perfect as a comic book movie can get. It helps that I agreed with the changes that they made (organic web shooters, etc.) The second half isn't as good as the first, the only reason this doesn't get a 10.

X-men: 6/10 - A fairly entertaining film that suffers from having to do a LOT of setup for a LOT of characters in a very short running time. I would have liked a grander "bad guy scheme" than what we got.

Batman Returns: 8/10 - I may be the only one who thinks this, but BR is a much better film than the first in terms of styling and execution. There's a LOT more going on in this movie than there is in just about any other comic film. Incredibly underrated...

Superman 2: 9/10 - Zod rules, and they give Superman a nemesis worth fighting this time. I prefer it to the first.

Men in Black: 6/10 - Simple, short and fun. Not the best movie you've seen, but better than average. Certainly shouldn't have been the highest-grossing film of '97, though. Still haven't watched the sequel yet.

Superman 3: 3/10 - Ugh. Did they forget everything they learned with Superman 2?

Batman Forever: 5/10 - Better than most think, but still not nearly as good as the previous 2. Suffers from too many characters, not enough Batman.

Batman & Robin: 1/10 - Speaking of too many characters... I'd argue that you can't really blame Clooney for this debacle, since he's only in it for about 10 minutes of the over 2-hour running time. As one of my friends said, "Could they have used any more neon?"

Batman the movie (Adam west version): 4/10 - Does exactly what it intends to do. Bonus points for the shark-on-the-leg scene

And, of course....

The Crow: 8/10 - Dark, violent, and quite good. It's a shame Lee died before they finished filming. The sequels sucked, though.

And UW, Men In Black was a Malibu comic before they adapted it to a film...
Ultimate Weapon

Re: Re: Rate these comic book movies.

Originally posted by BigMaki
Ok, now that I have time to do it...

[And UW, Men In Black was a Malibu comic before they adapted it to a film...

He-Man was a comic and cartoon way before the film. And Punisher is a Marvel character from the 70's. Robocop also had a comic series written by Frank Miller, sad though that he went on to write the sequels.
BigMaki
Protoform

Re: Re: Re: Rate these comic book movies.

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
He-Man was a comic and cartoon way before the film. And Punisher is a Marvel character from the 70's. Robocop also had a comic series written by Frank Miller, sad though that he went on to write the sequels.

IIRC, Robocop didn't have any comics until the Dark Horse ones in the 90s? Otherwise, I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. Don't remember there being a He-Man comic, other than the goofy ones that came with the figures, though... I still have some of those. :D

Edit: And yes, I know who the Punisher is. :p
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

What about:

Captain America-Those ruber ears were some of the worst things I had ever seen. Why god, why?

The Hulk Returns-Thor was annoying and poorly dressed. He looked rediculous. Too bad, since the Hulk tv series was great.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles-Though it look more from the cartoon, it still had some of the grit of the comic. I liked it, actually. Well, the first one. The sequels couldn't have sucked more (and I actually saw 3 in the theatre).

Dr. Strange-Why were there so many crappy comic book movies made in the 70's? Good lord.

Generation X-A tv movie, but it counts. The special fx reeked of tv movie quality, though. It also lacked Chamber and a few other characters. Not awful but still bad.

Fantastic Four-Roger Corman must be shot. That's all I have to say.

Judge Dredd-Could have been better. A lot better. Rob Schnieder makes me cringe.

The Amazing Spider-Man-Based off the 70's tv series. This was crap. They really weren't ready when they made this one.

The Flash-I think it was a tv movie or straight to video. Actually...it wasn't that bad. Possibly the best of the 70's crap.

Wonder Woman-I think it was either a really long episode of the tv series or a tv movie. Either way, it was whacky. The 70's were a bad time for comic book fans.

Dennis the Menace-Comic strips count, right? For an old guy, Walter Mathow(sp?) was pretty cool. I just never fell into the age-group for this movie so it didn't appeal to me.

That's all I can think of. I think I covered the horror that was the 70's pretty thoroughly.
Ultimate Weapon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rate these comic book movies.

Originally posted by BigMaki
IIRC, Robocop didn't have any comics until the Dark Horse ones in the 90s? Otherwise, I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. Don't remember there being a He-Man comic, other than the goofy ones that came with the figures, though... I still have some of those. :D

Edit: And yes, I know who the Punisher is. :p

Are you serious? Dude Marvel had a Robocop series for a lenghty run. And Marvel also did a He-man comic from the 80's though they are very rare, or wait a minute it may have been DC, not sure as they did M.A.S.K. comics as well.
Ultimate Weapon

Dont forget Nick Fury with David Hasselhoff. A movie that is better than Citizen Kane;)
BigMaki
Protoform

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rate these comic book movies.

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
Are you serious? Dude Marvel had a Robocop series for a lenghty run. And Marvel also did a He-man comic from the 80's though they are very rare, or wait a minute it may have been DC, not sure as they did M.A.S.K. comics as well.

If Marvel did, I'm betting that they started the comic well after the first movie had been released. It just seemed to me that calling Robocop a comic book movie would mean we get to call Star Wars, The Terminator, Aliens and Predator comic book movies as well...

Never seen any of the He-Man or M.A.S.K. comics...

And damn, have you people sat through a lot of horrible movies!