CRTC @$$holes (about Cartoons)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sheba
Protoform

CRTC @$$holes (about Cartoons)

Post by Sheba »

I got an email from Teletoon explaining why they can't air that much GOOD 80's stuff OR anime. It's worse than I thought: According to the CRTC (that's a Canadian TV and Radio Government regulatory agency, if you're from the US think FCC) licensing agreement, Teletoon MUST air 55% CANADIAN content during this year. Since all the good 80's stuff is NOT Canadian (and the Anime goes without saying), there's simply not enough room for it all.

FIFTY-FIVE PERCENT!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: THOSE BASTAGES!!! GDDMNBLDDY BUREAUCRATS!!!! DAMN THEM ALL TO THE PIT!!!!

Join me in cursing out this idiotic rule that deprives Canadians of their rightful nostalgia to watch their favorite stuff on Cable!!!!!
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
Scarrita
Protoform

Re: CRTC @$$holes (about Cartoons)

Post by Scarrita »

Originally posted by Sheba
I got an email from Teletoon explaining why they can't air that much GOOD 80's stuff OR anime. It's worse than I thought: According to the CRTC (that's a Canadian TV and Radio Government regulatory agency, if you're from the US think FCC) licensing agreement, Teletoon MUST air 55% CANADIAN content during this year. Since all the good 80's stuff is NOT Canadian (and the Anime goes without saying), there's simply not enough room for it all.

FIFTY-FIVE PERCENT!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: THOSE BASTAGES!!! GDDMNBLDDY BUREAUCRATS!!!! DAMN THEM ALL TO THE PIT!!!!

Join me in cursing out this idiotic rule that deprives Canadians of their rightful nostalgia to watch their favorite stuff on Cable!!!!!
Bastages, fargin, bastages. Tell them that they can shove their regulations right up their ice holes!
Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe
something your intellect would otherwise cause
you to reject -- otherwise there's no need for faith.
Sheba
Protoform

Re: Re: CRTC @$$holes (about Cartoons)

Post by Sheba »

Originally posted by Scarrita

Bastages, fargin, bastages. Tell them that they can shove their regulations right up their ice holes!
Oh believe me I would like nothing better. But you know how bad this REALLY is? You wouldn't freakin' believe it:

Some Canadians (not myself, although I'm TEMPTED) either get a US address and get a US Satellite dish & services ("Grey Market" Dish) or they go out and buy one in town that "Illegally" allows access to "Forbidden" channels--that is, channels that are not licensed for Broadcast in Canada (Black-market Dish).

A judge has recently ruled that Canadians do NOT have the right to decide for themselves what they are going to watch even if they're paying for it! He ruled that Grey Market (not just Black Market) dishes are illegal and should be confiscated by the RCMP (the Cops).

Why is this so, you ask? Well it all boils down to being protectionist bastages. The powers-that-be in this country are afraid that the people will become like Americans (and see this as akin to the "Be like The Boy" Simpsons Episode, I guess :rolleyes: ) and that the Distinct Canadian Culture (whatever the hell that is) should be PROTECTED from excessive American Bombardment. God Forbid that Canadians might ACTUALLY start to think that some RIGHTS that are recognized in the US are a GOOD IDEA that should be recognized here! :rolleyes:

There's this pervasive myth that Canadians are "nicer" than Americans. Well I've been in BOTH countries (as has my mom--she lived in USA for 16 years) and that's BULL$#**! Some of the biggest gits and arseholes I've EVER met were natural-born Canadians. So what are they trying to "protect" us from? Hmmm? Or maybe they just enjoy toying with us. :mad:
"This appears to be a copy of Final Fantasy, which is a step up from a copy of Pearl Jam"-Ed the Sock, on Fromage 2002, about one of Creed's videos--"Bullets".
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

I have seen, from the Canadians that I have met, that there is no diference between us, except for national healthcare thing, so why is the Canadian government afraid of becoming Americanized.
I don't recall the actual percentage but isn't it something like 75% of the Canadian populace lives within 50 miles of the US/Canadian border. It doesn't matter, when you live next to a country as influential as the US is there is going to be cultural diffusion.
It is impossible to avoid something like that.
Do you think that the Roman Empire, (and by this I do not mean to say that the US is anything like the RE), did not influence it's surrounding neighbors. It's gonna happen. Hiding your head in the sand will not change this.
Sounds to me like your country is on the way to being Xenophobic.
Sheba
Protoform

Post by Sheba »

I have seen, from the Canadians that I have met, that there is no diference between us, except for national healthcare thing, so why is the Canadian government afraid of becoming Americanized.
I don't recall the actual percentage but isn't it something like 75% of the Canadian populace lives within 50 miles of the US/Canadian border. It doesn't matter, when you live next to a country as influential as the US is there is going to be cultural diffusion.
It is impossible to avoid something like that.
Do you think that the Roman Empire, (and by this I do not mean to say that the US is anything like the RE), did not influence it's surrounding neighbors. It's gonna happen. Hiding your head in the sand will not change this.
Sounds to me like your country is on the way to being Xenophobic.
hehe that's not the half of it. The Media up here is indistinguishable from the US media on the Issues. Yet they hold up Canada as being "different" from the US. They're NO different!!! There may be some small regional differences based on experiences or whatever, but hell there's a difference between Quebec residents and BC residents so what's the big deal.

A local Editorial Cartoonist ran a cartoon of a Beaver (Canada's national symbol) holding a Canadian Flag for Canada Day. the writing in the cartoon said "100% Xenophobia, Jingoism, agression and intolerance-free" OH WHAAAAAAT-EVER!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: One country's jingoism is another country's patriotism. This was the same cartoonist that days earlier had done a cartoon of a US military official explaining why they'd accidentally attacked an Afghan Wedding "WE THOUGHT THEY WERE CANADIANS"

Bah.
The Plant
Protoform

Post by The Plant »

God Bless America, if only for the fact that we don't have that problem.
Tell ya what, if canadians are no different from americans...........
can we anex Canada and therefore,
we can legally smuggle beer from up there,
and you can get your anime and 80's shows.

It's a win win situation. Although I am reluctant to put you under the leadership of Dubya.

I say get the illegal stuff, if we can't anex you.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good...and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence.
Sheba
Protoform

Post by Sheba »

hmph Dubya is better than this twit we have now. At least Dubya would replace our aging falling-apart-at-the-rotors Sea Kings--and with something DECENT TOO! And he'd get us PROPER subs, not blimey USED subs from brit-land that leak if you go under 200 feet of water!!!!

Yeah at least the US is NOT so insecure that it would even NEED "American Content" programming rules. What does this tell you about Canada then? :p
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Hell yeah! I agree with The Plant, let's annex Canada, c'mon think of the fun we'll all have. That and the fact that our baseball, hockey and basketball teams won't have to cross international lines anymore to play one another.
Sure, then Mexico, besides if we do that they won't be crashing the borders anymore. Then what, hey hows about Cuba, sure.

Wait a minute, what was that I said about the Roman Empire?:rolleyes:
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Ya, why dont you ****s come over here and ****ing wipe this **** ass country up, kill all those stupid ****s, I'll help you. We can form our clan, the swastica brothers and take over this **** hole.
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Originally posted by Plasmodium
Ya, why dont you ****s come over here and ****ing wipe this **** ass country up, kill all those stupid ****s, I'll help you. We can form our clan, the swastica brothers and take over this **** hole.
Ah, a man after my own heart.:cool:
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ah, a man after my own heart.:cool:
And your lungs, kidneys and sundry other organs...
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
And your lungs, kidneys and sundry other organs...
As long as the reproductive ones are left alone.
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

Originally posted by The Plant
I am reluctant to put you under the leadership of Dubya.
Hey don't talk **** about Dubya he's one of the greatest men who ever lived!
Jonin
Protoform

Post by Jonin »

Yep. Darn CRTC.

Though the same thing is troubling Cartoon Network from a long while back too, as a foreign country (which I can't remember the name of right now, not Canada though! :D) apparently rejected Ted Turner owned C.N. on the basis of it not having a certain percentage of content from said Country too. There had been a whole article about it a long time ago I'd read.

Still, I'd emailed Teletoon a year or so ago (well before ever hopping on the board here to discuss TF's at all) and asked them on the odds they could get the classic G1 Transformers cartoons on, or other older cartoons like 60's Spider-Man as I said it would be cool to rekindle the cartoons of my youth and to see them introduced to a new audience whom never had the chance to see them before.

My answer was that they hadn't planned on doing this, but it wasn't out of the realm of possibility, and would be filed for future reference.
I'm thinking this *might* have influenced them into getting more Adult oriented and older stuff like 60's Spider-Man that I wanted to see, Spawn, and Spicy City (Ralph Bakshi created series!) pouring in as of last September's "Cartoons for Adults/Teletoon Retro" but who knows?

Maybe if we Canadians sent Teletoon enough email asking for the TF's to be aired again, they might spare a timeslot for it. Can't hurt to try! ;)

Even with the 55% restriction, I still enjoy Teletoon loads. :)
--------
=Jonin=
--------
Jonin's DeviantArt Page
--------
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Originally posted by Alpha Trion

Read "Stupid White Men" by Michael Moore. Your opinion WILL (!) change, I guarantee it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Alpha Trion
Bull**** ...try Scarrita's suggestion; the simple list of statistics should do for that belief.
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Are guns forbidden in Canada? If so, that alone makes Canada much better than the US.
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Originally posted by Kickback
Are guns forbidden in Canada? If so, that alone makes Canada much better than the US.
Guns are good and guns are great, so kill all the people that you hate- Genitorturers(Band), Guns Are Good(Song), Flesh Is The Law(Album).
God I love that band.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I like Beast Wars IF Canada could produce GREAT shows like that
I would move there....

on second thought...
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
RCOSD

Post by RCOSD »

Why don't we just blow up America and Canada.Would solve a lot of problems with this world