[Hot Rod re-issue] I'm actually very impressed.../thanks Wolfang

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Denyer

[Hot Rod re-issue] I'm actually very impressed...

Post by Denyer »

...nice work, Hasbro! Yes, it would have been nice for it to have been the TargetMaster version, but this is a good package; sensibly sized box, reasonable price, even a couple of bonus stickers which in no way belong on the toy...

What's more, the mould is far better than I remember. Pointier 'wings' would be the only thing I'd ask for, but although the suspicion is that they've been blunted, I think it's more likely that I'm mis-remembering. His arms are pretty poseable, too — they don't just hang there like two planks; they fold out a little and have elbows, giving the illusion of more flexibility than there is, granted, but it's a decent illusion. One of my fave TF moulds already.

Anyone else get this? Impressions, please...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

He's a good display piece in either mode, well proportioned... but got to disagree on the packaging - unimaginative, and topped off by that tech spec. But it's the figure that counts... he is a bit of a statue, but looks quite nifty. one question though - the metal toes - why? What's the point?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I don't think you can call it a tech spec, to be honest... and I've seen worse by miles. Metal toes? Well, it's an accurate recreation of the first production of Hot Rod... makes people think they're getting a little more for their tenner, doesn't it? >> "Die cast metal parts! No—we're not talking about the screws for once!"
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

I got the original Japanese re-issue of him at Transforce 2 years ago, but I've always loved the Hot Rod toy.

IIRC the two spare stickers DO have a place to go, but they get destroyed quite easily as they sit on his upper leg (where the lower slides over in transformation)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I think I left those off... couldn't see them looking good, and TF stickers can be surprisiingly difficult to scrape off...

And yep, the metal toes were part of the original. But why not something slightly more sensible like a metal engine? And why, before the Takara reissue, were some sad bastards prepared to pay a dozen times more for some damn metal toes?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by StoneCold Skywarp
IIRC the two spare stickers DO have a place to go, but they get destroyed quite easily as they sit on his upper leg (where the lower slides over in transformation)
Yeah, I skimmed the booklet... I even applied the stickers as suggested, but disliked 'em so much that they came back off again...

Erm, people collect first editions of books, too. I don't claim to understand it, mind...
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

well, I just scraped off the stickers...they do look horrible on after all.

Removing TF stickers isn't difficult unless they're small and annoying... I guess that working in retail helps, I'm always peeling and re-stickering stuff :(
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It's pretty difficult getting 'em off after a decade or so, in my experience... although I think glues have improved in recent years so this shouldn't be as much an issue in future...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
It's pretty difficult getting 'em off after a decade or so, in my experience... although I think glues have improved in recent years so this shouldn't be as much an issue in future...

Ah... I wasn't going to chance it, not after the big hairy bitch of a time I had redoing Red Alert.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I have the original, the Japanese reissue, and the hasbro reissue. I love his toy. The wings weren't blunted.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

He is a great mold, and the leg stickers to get bent to hell when he transforms. I prefer him over his counterpart Rodimus.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Goo-be-gone, dunno about that spelling, but the stuff's a godsend for anyone trying to get sticker residue off of anything. Won't harm the surface and it'll even help get the stickers themselves off. Good stuff.
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

I rememer re-stickering the Galvatron I bought of Cliffy. After a while I gave up trying to get them off and just stuck the new ones on top of the old ones.
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Skyswipe
Protoform

Post by Skyswipe »

A pointier spoiler would be nice, but I have no real complaints about this toy.
"You know what? You can take all these Beast Machines, Beast Wars, and all the rest of them and shove them up your tailpipe. Optimus Prime is not a damn dirty ape and Megatron, Soundwave and Starscream are not "Destrongers" or "Predacons" they are DECEPTICONS and may any who say otherwise burn in the fiery pits beneath Cybertron where wicked Transformers are melted down into slag." - OldSchool80sKid

Yeah!! What he said!
Capt
Protoform

Post by Capt »

A pointer spoiler couldn't happen - especially since it's designed for kids - us collectors are an after thought.

I'm probably gonna buy the hasbro one of him, since there's no difference between the reissue and the original issue
Capt
Abusing the English written language since the 1980s
King Fargo
Protoform

Post by King Fargo »

I reckon he's pretty good (even though the spoiler could be pointier). I picked up Hasbro reissue him and OP (with the short smokestacks) at a Sydney TRU.

Guess what? The handles on our friend Hot Rod's guns are powerlinx points. Runway looks pretty good with a huge gun hanging from his belly.
Sig? I don't need no steenkin' sig!
yakumo
Protoform

Thanks To Wolfang!!!

Post by yakumo »

please don't delte this post yet, l just like to say massive thanks to Wolfang for getting me a Hot Rod, it came today and was so unexpected. Thanks again, just when l was having a crappy day revising:)
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Don't mention it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Perhaps someone'll merge this with the last Hot Rod topic (probably mine) and we can chinwag a bit more about this rather fab mould! :)

Got him next to RiD Scourge on my desk, and they don't clash at all. If Rod had more articulated legs, he'd be perfect...
yakumo
Protoform

Post by yakumo »

Hot Rod is sweet, l don't believe l passed hm up when l had the choice, brillant toy:)