Three cheers for tobacco!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
RID Scourge

Three cheers for tobacco!

Post by RID Scourge »

It makes everything better.

They say that smoking kills, but it'll have to get in line behind the people, who call me at work, since I figure they're the ones, who'll be the death of me. So, anyone else wish to sing the praises of this most wonderful leaf?
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

No.

And it's hopefully going to be banned in public places in Wales by next year. Huzzah.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

I do enjoy a couple of puffs now and then and the odd cigarette too.

Although as of next summer, I think as Brits we're only going to be allowed to smoke on the Isle of Wight in bus stops providing there's no one within a one mile radius of you.

Apparently we're killing everyone really really slowly by second hand smoke. Bloody doctors and research, how many beagles died to prove that one?

Bah I'll die when I'm dead!
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Sixswitch
No.

And it's hopefully going to be banned in public places in Wales by next year. Huzzah.

-Ss

Are you talking about inside buildings or like in the street.

If you're talking about in the street, I don't really get the point of that. Unless someone's puffing it right in your face, or there's a great multitude of people, who are smoking in one area, there's a nill to no chance of inhaling any smoke, and in such a well-ventilated area as outside, you're not going to inhale a significant amount at all.

Indoors, I can see the concern, but I think a more reasonable approach would be to have a health code that states that a smoking section must be separated from the rest of the establishment by a door.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

I dont smoke, and I'm glad I dont have to go to a resturant and smell it while I eat...

However....

They can easily make places with good ventilation systems so both sides could be happy.

And as far as banning smoking in bars? Thats stupid. Thats like going to a restuarant and complainig of the smell of food....

You have to know that in some places...people just are gonna smoke.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
Are you talking about inside buildings or like in the street.

Indoors only I believe.

And Kup1, sorry, but I totally disagree. There are a couple of non-smoking bars around at the moment, and the atmosphere in them is so much better without the stench of smoke. I'm really looking forward to this coming in.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Kup1
And as far as banning smoking in bars? Thats stupid. Thats like going to a restuarant and complainig of the smell of food....

Bollocks.

You go to a bar to inhale other peoples' smoke? **** off do you.

I go to a bar to enjoy the company of other people and drink.

Bars are for liver damage, not lung cancer.

Sure, it's an accepted byproduct, but only because there's no law against it. Which is gonna change. And a good thing too. I've no problem with people smoking, but I'd like to be able to enjoy a night out without choking myself on the cast-off.

Your analogy with the smell of food is ridiculous in ways I shouldn't even need to further elaborate on. If we were talking about the smell of alcohol and the sound of people talking, then you'd have a point. But we're not - we're talking about smoking.
Originally posted by Wildrider
I'll die when I'm dead!
^^ Quote of the day.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Bollocks.

You go to a bar to inhale other peoples' smoke? **** off do you.

No, I don't. :p Thats why I dont go to bars. And if they have a non-smoking bar, then I'd consider.

But, bars have traditionally been...at least in my area....a smokehounds paradise.

I didn't say it was right....it's just the way that I've seen it.

And yeah, I love to go and hang out a place with my buddies and kick back and relax, drink, and not worry about smoke. But here anyway, we have tons of places that serve food, and alcohol, so I'm set.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Smoking tobacco in public places (businesses, not open space like a park or the sidewalk) is disgusting and damaging to every person who either patronizes or works at the establishment. There's no question that smoking should be banned from restaurants, bars, and other public businesses. If you want to smoke, step outside. If there is inclement weather, bring an umbrella. If you're so desperate to smoke that you can't wait until you're in an appropriate place where you won't be damaging others' physical well-being, you have a serious addiction and should seek counseling.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Here in California, it's illegal to smoke in public buildings. You gotta be 15 ft away. One of the main reasons why I still live here. :)
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Originally posted by Vin Ghostal
Smoking tobacco in public places (businesses, not open space like a park or the sidewalk) is disgusting and damaging to every person who either patronizes or works at the establishment.

Again, I agree. But here in Columbus...in the Short North district (yuppie heaven) they opened three new smoke free bars, but only a year later...two are already gone.

Bars just seem to be the smokie smoke place for some reason. I personally think it's nasty to smell it, but....

*shrugs*

I dunno. I guess the reason I posted the post above is that certain places are traditionally smokers places. And the owners depend on these people to keep these places open. If the smokers go....so will a lot of places.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Personally i have a mixed view. i like to smoke, i'm not a heavy smoker, just a couple of rollies a day unless i'm particuarly stressed. if people want to smoke then it's their right to do so if they so wish. the smoking ban over here will probably stop alot of people from taking up the habit because there are those like myself who only really like to smoke when they're having a drink, if they can't do that then the habit won't go any further. On the otherhand a complete ban is uncalled for, there are non-smoking sections in most places, when this ban happens i think a few establishments should be able to remain open to smokers, otherwise alot of businesses are going to lose alot of customers.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Sixswitch
And Kup1, sorry, but I totally disagree. There are a couple of non-smoking bars around at the moment, and the atmosphere in them is so much better without the stench of smoke. I'm really looking forward to this coming in.

-Ss

I dunno. I think that as far as bars go, they should be allowed to decide whether or not their establishment will allow it. I think that there would be a niche for non-smoking bars to satisfy people, who want to go out without having to inhale smoke.

They have every right to a place like that, but I think that by the same token, there should be some places, where a bunch of friends can go out, have a few drinks and a smoke or two. If the place is clearly designated as a smoker's place, then I really don't see why there would be a problem, since anyone, who went in there would know the risks.

All in all, stating that a public place must have a smoking section that is blocked off by a door is reasonable. Being told that your privately owned establishment cannot allow its patrons to smoke whatsoever is, IMO, not.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I think it's lucky for Cliffy that those pics of the Ravage and Arse... Errrr Baroness statue were released when they were to take his mind of it- Else he'd probably be making a noose now.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Kup1
Again, I agree. But here in Columbus...in the Short North district (yuppie heaven) they opened three new smoke free bars, but only a year later...two are already gone.
Well, yeah. Because smokers have the option to go somewhere else.
If the smokers go....so will a lot of places.

Only if you give the smokers are going somewhere, which they're not. They're just not being allowed to smoke. Anybody willing to move countries just so they can smoke in public? Well, I won't shed a tear as they leave.

It works like this:

Give people who want to drink, and who smoke, the choice between a bar where they can smoke and a bar where they can't, and they'll go to the one where they can.

Stands to reason.

You seem to be suggesting that if you stop them from smoking, they'll all sit at home and do their drinking alone.

I really don't see that happening.

At the moment, where I live, there's one bar where smoking is banned. It's a popular place, but smokers only stay there briefly, because they want to go somewhere else where they can smoke. When this new law kicks in, they won't have anywhere else to go where they can smoke whilst they drink. Ergo people will pick their haunts based on the quality of the place, not on whether or not they can grab a *** there.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Brendocon
You seem to be suggesting that if you stop them from smoking, they'll all sit at home and do their drinking alone.

I really don't see that happening.
No, chances are they'll invite their mates over as well...

Video rental businesses should benefit. Offies will certainly do well.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Denyer
No, chances are they'll invite their mates over as well...

Video rental businesses should benefit. Offies will certainly do well.

True. Flipside is that the bulk of the binge drinkers round here are folks out on the pull. Bit tricky to do from the privacy of your living room.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Could put a useful dent in the teen pregnancy statistics as well, then.
Ulticron
Protoform

Post by Ulticron »

Smoking is great, everyone here from back in the day knows i smoke chains. In fact over the past couple yrs I've upped the smokage. Smoking may or may not kill me but it certainly keeps all the @$$holes around me alive so I'm all for it. Better to have my lungs rot out or something crazy like that than go to death row for murder charges! :laugh:
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Originally posted by RID Scourge
I dunno. I think that as far as bars go, they should be allowed to decide whether or not their establishment will allow it. I think that there would be a niche for non-smoking bars to satisfy people, who want to go out without having to inhale smoke.
I like this idea. Everybody wins.