Masterpiece MP-5 Megatron prototype? | UPDATE: Megatron will have die cast parts

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Masterpiece MP-5 Megatron prototype?

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Doesn't really look that good, if it's indeed MP Megatron. The legs are way too thin, same goes for the arm...and the fusion cannon is simply put, enormous. Anxiously waiting for more photos.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Hmmm I agree, the fusion cannon is enormous and the legs, yes too thin... Could they not make legs that fold up? The 4 sides ufold and slide together, to look how it does in that pic. Would that be difficult?
Rhodes
Protoform

Post by Rhodes »

Looks like they used the legs from G1 Megatron toy,they are really very thin. Hope they redimension the canon,way to big.
But its only a prototype.
Me Grimlock Kick But...
Voice Of Fate
Protoform

Post by Voice Of Fate »

Besides the cannon, it doesn't look too bad, We have to bare in mind the difficulties that a megatron toy presents... Just from an engineering point of view!How do you turn two sturdy legs into a gun grip(I think that's what it's called in english) that fits nicely into your hand...I thinkit's pretty nifty, but I have to see the gunmode before any other comment
This is the Voice Of Fate signing Off
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Originally posted by Voice Of Fate
Besides the cannon, it doesn't look too bad. We have to bear in mind the difficulties that a Megatron toy presents... Just from an engineering point of view! How do you turn two sturdy legs into a grip that fits nicely into your hand? I thinkit's pretty nifty, but I have to see the gun mode before any other comment.
Agreed. Okay, his legs are skinny, but you've got to remember that he DOES transform into a gun.

Interesting to note that the trigger is placed inside his legs rather than his...well, you know.
Rhodes
Protoform

Post by Rhodes »

We can consider the legs of Megatron in the G1 cartoons skinny, I think, but could be wrong, just have a ,mental picture.

Tetsuro, You are so right about the trigger!:D
Me Grimlock Kick But...
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

i will never look at megs the same way again after hearing about the"trigger".... who thought children's toys were so........ innuendo-ish XD
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Hound

Post by Hound »

My problem is that he looks like after you transform him a couple of times and he's a little looser in the joints he'll never be able to stand up in robot mode. Especially with that cannon! :eek:

Even straight out of the box how's he not going to just tip right over?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I don't mind him, actually. He's bit weird, because his legs are from 1981 and the top half of his body is from 2006, but there's a certain amount of clunky charm to him. I rather like the "flat" legs for some odd reason.

As for him standing up, I'd guess they solve that the same way they did with the original - diecast in the legs, which probably wasn't done for the proto, hence those ugly little stands. Same goes for the "looseness" - those won't be final materials, he'll look a lot more substantial when he's not made out of resin...
Rosalie
Protoform

Post by Rosalie »

This is what happens when you ask for a proper "gun" Megatron... I don't think it's fair to complain about it if that's what you're asking - it's very difficult to do it properly.

It's either this or have an incredibly shaky looking alt mode like Mark's Projects Megatron.
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

I cant recall how correct i am in saying this but wasn't there a degree of change between Starscreams original proto legs and the final designs legs? If so i doubt that they'll whats seen here won't change in a few areas (most likely the legs as they seem the weakest point) before the final design -kinda the meaning of prototype i know-... With regards to the weight of the barrel, i suppose it will be lighter than it looks as i'd hazard it'd be quite hollow..
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Rosalie
Protoform

Post by Rosalie »

http://www.marksprojects.com/meg7.jpg

[Edited it down to a link as it's big and also his bandwidth.]

lol...

His Bumblebee has a sweet alt mode though... if he actually charges a decent price for it I might consider saving up for it, it's bigger than the classics one too so it looks better next to MP Prime.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Minus the enormous arm cannon, this acutally looks pretty good I think.

Like Cliffy said, though, final diecast metal should be able to stand on it's own (I hope). Of course, they put no metal in MP-03...so who knows what will happen with this one. (and yes, the final MP Starscream had different legs than the prototype).
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
ColdBain
Protoform

Post by ColdBain »

Agreed, he looks alright, cannon far too big, if they could make the legs thicker then 'yes please', but looking good so far. Let's hope this isn't a final mock up.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I think he's looking great, and would be quite happy the way he is. I'd imagine that it could well be challenging to thicken the legs, and I'd guess the cannon is to keep scale with the gun mode.

Still the best looking Megatron ever, if there are no changes!

:)
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Well, assuming that this is the same prototype shown in the link here: http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... adid=37325 (I can't read the link in this thread without a 23 minute download of symbol-interpretation software) – I think the fusion cannon is at worst slightly too large, and otherwise looks great. Remember, the original fusion cannon was only two and a half centimeters shorter than Megatron.

And good point about the possibility of metal in the legs, Cliffjumper; not only would that help provide support for what is truly a BFG, maybe it’d also give us the clanking noise I find so endearing in the original Megatron figure.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There weren't bigger photos in the original thread at Actoys last I looked.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

New pics of Megatron, and also of the e-Hobby cassettes.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=115773
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Eexxxcellent. The legs do look a little thin but then, that’s not unlike the original Megatron figure, and the angle, set up to show the location of the trigger, is probably not the most flattering view of the leg. In my admittedly biased opinion – this looks great. Thanks for the link!