Universe repaint of Arcee... real or fake?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Universe repaint of Arcee... real or fake?

Post by Denyer »

http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=3038&mode=flat

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?dq=&h ... ansformers

Quite a few people are convinced it's a photoshop. Doesn't look too bad, though. Were it genuine, I'd consider it, especially if they changed the salmon bits.

Some nifty photoshops definitely done by fans here:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en ... 26rnum%3D1

'G1' colours Arcee, Paradron Medic, etc.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

It's gotta be fake.
Elita-One
Protoform

Post by Elita-One »

The last link looks fake!

Why is everyone going Decepticon?? I don't get it??
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Nah, Raksha owns Nightracer, right? And she's a mad old ****.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Elita-One
The last link looks fake!
Which is why I clearly pointed out that they were done by the denizens of A.T.T.

As for going Decepticon... it's a different character. It's not particularly unusual for a mould to be used for two or more characters, on different faction sides.

Other stuff:

Considering that Nightracer came on a card marked all over with Decepticons(R) and Decepticons(TM) etc... I don't think Raksha would have much luck legally.

One conspiracy theory is that if it's a photoshop, it's to draw her out... not quite sure what the reasoning is, though...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Judging by the crap she was ranting about in the BotCon split on attcm [which NTL decided to start sending me last year instead of ATT], she does have some copyright claim on Nightracer... Still, hopefully Hasbro will send some people round her house and beat the living crap out of her.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

As long as they don't claim it as the exact same character, it wouldn't make any difference... Nightracer was a convention exclusive years ago, and the name hasn't been used on a retail product line as far as I'm aware.

Is it me or does that card in the photo have original art? Does anyone know where to look up name trademarks?

It's also a fugly Universe colour scheme, although not an horrific one.

Possibly genuine, but not final colours... equally possibly a kitbash, the rest a photoshop...

What would be really interesting is if Hasbro considered it based on fan interest... the colours fit the Universe line, and it's a similar situation to the Magnus / Overload similarities.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Other than the really fishy "Nightracer" text on the box, it doesn't look photoshopped to me.
Cap'n Spanky

Post by Cap'n Spanky »

If they would have left the text alone on the box, I would have fallen for it!
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Obviously photoshopped (not just going by the looks of it, but also because I don't think Hasbro would be that quick to offer a Universe recolor of a toy that's only just being released), but -
Originally posted by Denyer
What would be really interesting is if Hasbro considered it based on fan interest...
Yes, it'd be sweet if Hasbro would actually do this recolor. I *heart* those colors; and we can never have too many Decepticons, don't you think? ;)

As for the Raksha issue... No offense intended, but she owns Nightracer about as much as I own Steadfast (formerly "Darkfire" - I renamed her). Copyright claims for fanfic characters based on Hasbro's trademarked toy line are iffy by nature. (Not that I advocate ripping off other fans' characters, but that's a matter of civility, not legal rights.)

Just out of curiousity - any word from the Plumed Serpent herself yet?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

From what I learned at 2005 boards, you actually DO own the copyright to your fictional stuff, even if it's based on characters copyrighted by someone else.

You might not be allowed to earn money by selling a comic, toy, whatever directly based on Hasbro's Transformers trademark.

But neither is Hasbro allowed to sell stuff that is directly based upon your work*, even if that is in turn based on their trademark.

* without your permission.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Ah, okay, that's that cleared up.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Again, though, that would refer to the character, not simply the name as applied to a toy. Hasbro loses trademarks all the time, and Nightracer was a con exclusive in, what, 1996?
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Arcee
I don't think Hasbro would be that quick to offer a Universe recolor of a toy that's only just being released

Obviously you haven't heard about the upcoming Swerve/Roadhandler toy, which is a redeco of Armada Blurr/Incinerator. OK, it's not quite as recent a release as Arcee is, but you get the point, right?
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Right.
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

They do look cool but alas I doubt they would happen.

Even though its a fake... I don't like the Nightracer one. It just looks an ugly colour.

But speaking of repaints/remolds:

I would love to see Strongarm repainted(head remolded a bit) into G1 Swindle.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Bombshell
Obviously you haven't heard about the upcoming Swerve/Roadhandler toy, which is a redeco of Armada Blurr/Incinerator. OK, it's not quite as recent a release as Arcee is, but you get the point, right?

Of course, they didn't make any tfu figs from Armada toys until Armada was done. I would highly doubt that we'll find any Energon repaints until that's over with as well.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by PaladinPrime
Of course, they didn't make any tfu figs from Armada toys until Armada was done.

Yeah, but up until that toy was announced, most of Universe came from Beast Machines, with some Beast Wars, Robots In Disguise and Generation 2 mixed in. I honestly didn't think that Universe would include any of the recent stuff.
Originally posted by PaladinPrime
I would highly doubt that we'll find any Energon repaints until that's over with as well.

If Universe lasts that long.
Thundercracker1
Protoform

Post by Thundercracker1 »

I think it's fake, but on the off chance that it's not, I do like the paint job.
The deadliest weapon is terror.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It would be very clever of Hasbro if they were floating pics of possible Universe recolours, photoshopped, around to see reaction...

No, wait, it'd be stupid. Fans are the last people I'd want having a say about the line, as most are wankers.