On The Subject Of Big News...

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
another tf fan

On The Subject Of Big News...

Post by another tf fan »

On the subject of big news i just wanted to tap into everyone else's feeling on days full of interesting pictures, reveals or other great news.

I say this because A month can pass and nothing that excites me will happen. Then we get a few juicy news items and I get inspired by the online fandom again.

Looking at the pics of the Universe / classics 2.0 stuff was so great and the past year and a half has been so chock full of "BIG" news. I mean every other day was "...the new movie has..." or "...20th anniversary DVD..." or Classics news or Titanium News, Comic News, cartoon rumors, etc.

Now we re in the lull between tf1 & tf2 and I wanna share in the joy that is finding new interesting news.
Come on and wind me up.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm feeling happier now the comics are getting back into rhythm. There are also one or two toys I'm interested in.

More about personal collecting goals and stories than news, TBH. Lucked into some non-figure merch I was after for ages last year, and that's basically me done with an interest in toys for the most part.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Aye, at this point I'm trying to snag an Alternator Windcharger and Sunstreaker to make a couple of more customs (eventually), so I'm more occupied by own little hobby than that grand scheme of the franchise. BUT the new Classics figures do look rather fetching. The possibility of a Masterpiece Grimlock is also rather swish.

I have no plans to follow Animated. I just don't like the aesthetic.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Clay wrote:
I have no plans to follow Animated. I just don't like the aesthetic.
I second that, but I can't remember the last time I was in a Toy Store and *didn't* look at what was on the shelf for TF's. I stopped buying TF's for the most part, but every now and again, I see something that screams "I am cool-buy me" and I will pick it up within reasonable means. And yeah, Classics Grimlock? Very well may be a purchase.

To quote a certain mod,
"RAWR!! DINOSAUR"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Universe has spiked my interest again much as Classics did... mind, that only translated into two buys, and one of those was a loose Skywarp. Still, it's nice to be genuinely interested in the toys, even if it's only as far as looking at the pictures.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

New Classics look spiffy, but I'll be passing. I can barely afford to keep the toys I've got, let alone impulse buy new stuff. Especially as I know once I buy one thing, I'll be compelled to buy the rest.

This is why the MP range is awesome. By the time they bring out a new one, I can actually afford it. I'll likely snaffle the Revoltech range at some point, mostly due to them being somewhere between Super SCF and Masterpiece, which is a cracking idea.

Love the Robot Heroes, too. Though the movie ones are fugly as hell.

Animated makes half of me squee with fanboy "aren't they cute" glee... and the other half go "yeah, whatever." I think I've just hit the point where I flat-out can't afford this hobby anymore.

I'm more into little display pieces that I can use as ornaments around my home, rather than have a wall full of shelves displaying a full range. In that regard, Masterpiece, Robot Heroes and Revoltech are perfect. Go well with my Marvel Superhero Squad and Serenity model.

Must find a Spider Jerusalem model some day.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The regular comes with a laptop and hands moulded open, the variant with the disruptor. Both have the cat. Both fairly difficult to come by these days as they were earlier DC Direct figures...
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

To be honest, I haven't been this excited about Transformers since I was a kid. I bought up a lot of the toys when Robots in Disguise came around, but that was more out of general excitement at seeing TF toys on the shelf than actually having any connection to the toys themselves. Now, however, I loved the movie, and the corresponding toys are super-badass, and a lot of the new stuff coming out gets me really excited. Classic Rodimus is f*cking extreme, and Masterpiece Skywarp is one of the coolest TF toys ever made.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Denyer wrote:The regular comes with a laptop and hands moulded open, the variant with the disruptor. Both have the cat. Both fairly difficult to come by these days as they were earlier DC Direct figures...
Yeah, there's a regular on eBay for about £45 at the mo. Can jog on.

Supposedly there's an "on the toilet, shouting into phone" version, which sounds nifty, though I'd need to see it first.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Halfshell wrote: I can barely afford to keep the toys I've got, let alone impulse buy new stuff. Especially as I know once I buy one thing, I'll be compelled to buy the rest.
Know that feeling...especially with my truck hitting 10 years old next year...Toys are deliciously evil, aren't they?:devil:

I'll likely snaffle the Revoltech range at some point.
I managed to check these out at Newbury Comics, and IMO, they would make a great decoration vs. a toy that you can "play" with. They come stacked with accessories and stuff. Also, it would be nice to have a Rev Megs next to a Rev Grandizer or Mazinga. "Evolution in the same scale" idea.:up:

Love the Robot Heroes, too. Though the movie ones are fugly as hell.
Again, great for a same scale match up with the Marvel SH Squad, like you said. Kind of remind me of the "smurfs" figures from the 80's. Little hunk of plastic. heehee
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Halfshell wrote:Supposedly there's an "on the toilet, shouting into phone" version, which sounds nifty, though I'd need to see it first.
Statue. Not much cop, IMO.

http://www.sandman.ws/statue/jerusalem.html

I know mine (the figure) was about a tenner, but got it as a present via a small local shop that had one of each gathering dust in the back -- friend picked up both and kept the regular.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Has a charm to it. Certainly more appealing to me than the figure... interested mostly as a display piece as opposed to a toy.

Ho hum. Never likely to have either, though.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I wasn't all that thrilled with the movie line once I actually got a few of them, however I'm honestly thrilled with the upcoming Animated line. As far as Universe/Classics 2.0 I'm loving Prowl and Powerglide so far. I get what you are saying though, it does seem like there is a lot of news almost every day related to TF's here lately. Oh, and Revoltech is awesome imho.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Over the last few years, the only TF related thing I've been interested were the IDW comics.

I got an almost complete Metroplex from a group of my friends in September for my birthday, and since then its spiked my interest in Transformers again. I haven't been into buying G1 toys since '02, and I haven't bought any new TFs since Armada. Now I'm on Ebay almost every day looking for good deals. I've purchased almost the entire original Classics line and can't wait for Classics 2.0, as well as the Animated toys. I wasn't too interested in any of the movie toys, but the Movie itself was great and really got me going with the fandom again. I also love Animated, especially after I've passed on every Transformers show since Beast Machines.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

:)

Thanks for your feedback.

I like Vin got all the car brothers in RiD cause they were realistic alt modes. The Alternators were about as awesome as could bhe, then we got the movie toys. So licsensed alt modes have made a delicious come back.

The classics toys excite me in a new way, as when I was a kid I always wanted figures that were more articulated, yet i loved the characters themselves.

...On a side note, this past weekend i re-read all of the mainline IDW stuff and reading the comics as a whole has really made it more fun. the story is more compelling when you don't forget last months issue when you are reading the current one.
Come on and wind me up.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

another tf fan wrote: ...On a side note, this past weekend i re-read all of the mainline IDW stuff and reading the comics as a whole has really made it more fun. the story is more compelling when you don't forget last months issue when you are reading the current one.
Yep, it's definitely a lot more cohesive the second time round.
Civ

Post by Civ »

I'm absolutely stoked about the new Classics figures coming out. Can't wait for those bad boys, especially Powerglide and Prowl. Masterpiece Grimlock on the horizon? Sweeeet! Looking forward to fanboys crying if the Masterpiece doesn't look exactly like the G1 television show...ugh! I love the Masterpiece Starscream from Japan due to the upgraded and more realistic colors. And this is coming from a guy that hates G1 Starscream with a passion.

I lost track of how many times I told fanboys that it wasn't promised anywhere that Takara would base the figures on the G1 cartoon. Having to read "Starsgreen" and "Greenscream" from these wankers was just embarrassing. On another note, Masterpiece Skywarp is good. Love that they didn't splash purple all over the place though I don't know which Earth army uses black as a jet color.

Also found out there's a sticker set at Reprolabels to turn Movie Voyager Ironhide into Trailbreaker, so I gotta get that thing now that Premium Ironhide is out.

As far as Animated goes, I'll watch the show but I'm not digging the toys yet with the possible exception of Prowl.

I've never been one for small statues that don't transform so I'm passing on Robot Heroes unless something really catches my interest.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I'm only interested in the fiction -- don't collect the toys.

On that front (IDW and TF:Animated), I suppose Transformers is in pretty good shape. However, I'm no longer interested in Transformers as a whole so I can't really say I'm excited by anything, despite recognising the quality.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

As far as Hasbro offerings are concerned, I'm only interested in the new Classics/Universe toys...and even then, only moderately (that Sunstreaker looks pretty underwhelming).

Takara seems to be getting most of my money this time around; all I'm really looking forward to are the Encore reissues of Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme. Especially the former, I haven't been this full of anticipation since the prototype shots of MP Megatron popped up.
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

classics 2.0 and the animated line are looking sweet...

i'm still working on getting the last couple of movie decepticons i want (stockade and incinerator) and waitin' patiently for the walmart exclusives big daddy and grindcore, and the target exclusive storm surge... but my focus of late has been on 20th anniv. Gi joe figures and some old GI joe figs offline TBH...
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD