Binaltech refuses to stay dead? Behold the lamest repaints ever!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Binaltech refuses to stay dead? Behold the lamest repaints ever!

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-54960-1-1.html

The Subaru Impreza in plain blue, as "Bluestreak", and the Mazda RX-8 in silver, as "Jazz".

Oh, look, the RX-8 combines Shockblast/Laserwave's vehicle parts and Meister's robot parts.

I was hoping the Subaru mold would be dust by now.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

I'm shocked. I thought BT was waaaaaaaaaaaaay dead.

I agree that the moulds are now a bit old (the quality of the moulding on the Alt Ricochet I picked up showed significant scuffing and poor feature definition on some parts - a sure sign of mould tool degradation), but any excuse to release the RX-8 is OK with me! And it has Shockwave's body kit on it too - hello Wildrider! :D

Will prob pass on the blue Scooby though. Too similar to Smokescreen, imo.

Overall, happy to see the line continuing, even if only with more re-colours. Hopefully these will prove merely a stopgap before new moulds are released at some point in the future...
Wreck and Rule!
Smokescreen GT

Post by Smokescreen GT »

Hey, look! It's a naked Smokescreen! Oh wait, it's only Bluestreak. Nevermind. :lol:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Clay

Post by Clay »

The Jazz is gorgeous.

Does it give a release date?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Awesome.

Erm, yeh, Jazz does look really, really cool. I'll not object to more recolours, seeing as the last round of moulds included the hilarious CatCar. If they have to do something, at least it's not a car on legs.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I find the body kit for Shockwave more Jazz-like than the Jazz I own. I wish I could have thought of that. I have to retool my Jazz now....
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Is that thing crying with laughter and making the universal gesture for 'wanker' ?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I like to think so. I've got about five bookmarked and intend to use them until I get bored or permabanned, whichever kicks in first.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Bizarre.

I assumed Takara had given up on the line the moment they started giving them away free with those overpriced cutesey paedo chicks.

Guess this means the Binaltech Story will end up revised. "Streak found himself in 1982 and saw a Diaclone Datsun toy and liked, deciding to copy its colour scheme" or something equally fanwanky is just around the corner, I'm sure.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

That Jazz is a must get for me...can't say the same for Blustreak. Way too easy a pass for me.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Nevermore wrote:I was hoping the Subaru mold would be dust by now.
It almost is, isn't it? Didn't the BTA Alert's have some quality issues, like not fitting into cars as smoothly as the earlier releases? I know mine does.

The last issue of the Mazda, Auto Trooper, has some similar problems.

Furthermore, how can Takara release these now? Aren't the merchandising licenses from the car companies expired by now?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Clay wrote:Furthermore, how can Takara release these now? Aren't the merchandising licenses from the car companies expired by now?
Trying to return to their 1980s heyday by just producing the toys and hoping no-one notices? I dunno, are a big company like Subaru going to want to bother with a two-bit flailing Japanese toy company?

Digs at IDW and Takara in successive posts; dipping into the classics here.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Clay wrote:Didn't the BTA Alert's have some quality issues, like not fitting into cars as smoothly as the earlier releases? I know mine does.

The last issue of the Mazda, Auto Trooper, has some similar problems.
Well, my Alert is fine, but as I said earlier, my Alt Ricochet is not entirely of the quality I would hope for. Mould tool wear is normal, but to sell products with the effects of a worn tool showing so obviously is not on in my book.

Bad news about the Auto Trooper mould. Not a figure I've picked up, and I wasn't aware the RX-8s were showing signs of quality issues. I kinda assumed the quality was still there as they hadn't been hammered as much as some moulds.

Here's hoping they re-work the mould tools a bit where required (unlikely given the limited potential financial recompense) and that BT Jazz is of the quality we all hope for. :\
Wreck and Rule!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Rack 'n Ruin wrote:Well, my Alert is fine, but as I said earlier, my Alt Ricochet is not entirely of the quality I would hope for. Mould tool wear is normal, but to sell products with the effects of a worn tool showing so obviously is not on in my book.

Bad news about the Auto Trooper mould. Not a figure I've picked up, and I wasn't aware the RX-8s were showing signs of quality issues. I kinda assumed the quality was still there as they hadn't been hammered as much as some moulds.

Here's hoping they re-work the mould tools a bit where required (unlikely given the limited potential financial recompense) and that BT Jazz is of the quality we all hope for. :\
Haven't noticed any problems with the dozen or so Ricochets I've gone through. Curiously enough, they were made about the same time Alert was, yet yours is the first I've heard of with similar problems.

The problem with Auto Trooper is the trunk pieces not clamping together fully. I've got four of them, and they all have that problem. The trunk clamps together correctly on the Hasbro re-release (in the bubble packaging), which preceded Auto Trooper by eight months or so.

It won't matter for this Jazz, though. The parts that are a bit faulty on Auto Trooper aren't used for the remold version (trunk w/spoiler).
Clay

Post by Clay »

Here's the gap I'm talking about. It's flush on the red one, which was the original release.
Attachments
mazda3.jpg
mazda1.jpg
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

Clay wrote:It almost is, isn't it? Didn't the BTA Alert's have some quality issues, like not fitting into cars as smoothly as the earlier releases? I know mine does.
Mine will not fit properly into the car, so yeah. It's a common problem. Maybe they've fixed it...?

But Jazz looks sexy.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Civ

Post by Civ »

That gap I see in Clay's pictures looks more like a filling issue than a problem with the actual molds. I know filling issues can lead to deformed parts which could and would affect how pieces fit into one another. They could have been running the machines too quickly and not giving the plastic enough time to fill in all the gaps; the plastic may have been too cold due to a sensor being busted or for several other reasons; or it could also be shrinkage issues since they changed the plastic. Maybe red plastic doesn't shrink as much as the red.

Incidentally, and on topic, I love that Bluestreak. Definitely going to pick him up. I'm not really feeling the love there with Jazz.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

How can people complain about the greatest Transformer toyline EVER? EVAR!!@1!