Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Dead Man Wade

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Post by Dead Man Wade »

So, Cartoon Network has begun showing the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon. At first, I thought they were going to show the original. No such luck.

Now that I've actually seen more than three episodes, I just have a couple issues.

First of all, not once have I seen a pizza or heard a turtle utter "Cowabunga". All that's really remarkable in terms of the turtles' behavior is that "shell" is used as a thinly veiled curse word.

Also, every single episode that I have seen starts as follows:

Random battle and/or ninja-like sneaking.

"My name is *random TMNT*. Me and my brothers are royally screwed."

Stupid cliffhanger.

Intro.

Beginning of episode taking us back to where the situation started.

Once or twice would be fine. When they do it every damn episode, it starts to get kind of old.

At first, I rather liked this show, but now, I think it best to relegate it to the "Cr*ppy Revival That Just Doesn't Quite Work" column.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Well, in the first episode Mike is about to yell cowabunga but before he can finish Raph shoves him down a hole. I think that was supposed to symbolize the new direction of the show. Also, they mention pizza and in the episode where Splinter explains their origin to April they're seen eating pizza in a flashback.

The opening cliffhanger things aren't great but they serve a purpose by letting you know what's about to unfold and getting you interested in seeing how the TMNT end up in that situation.

I absolutely love the new show. TMNT was one of my two favorite things as a kid (guess what the other was) so I took more to this revival than anything else so far. Plus the animation is awesome. It's done by Dong Woo Studios, the guys behind the new He-man, Jackie Chan Adventures and Stripperella.

Overall I have no complaints about the show. At times it could stand to be a little more like the old toon, for nostalgia's sake.

The opening song sucks balls, though. I hate it. THey should've just updated the original theme song. That one rocks.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Well, I have yet to see the cowabunga or the pizza, but I'll take your word for it.

As for the cliffhanger, like I said, I wouldn't mind it as much if it were an occasional thing. But in every episode? It's getting kind of old.

And I definitely agree with you on the theme song.

I do like the animation, though. That's actually one of the things I do like about the show. It's certainly a lot better than a lot of the animation in the original series.

I don't know. I'm going to give it a chance. My opinion of it is just kind of low right now.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by fort_max
I do like the animation, though. That's actually one of the things I do like about the show. It's certainly a lot better than a lot of the animation in the original series.

I don't know. I'm going to give it a chance. My opinion of it is just kind of low right now.

Actually, the animation for the original miniseries was done by Toei Studios in Japan and was just about on par with Dong Soo, if not a tiny bit better. Every episode AFTER the miniseries, however, wha utter ****.

Except the two Japanese OVAs. Those were animated pretty damn good.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

The new TMNT is friggin' awesome! What I like most is, is that it keeps progressing along the one main story as the episodes go on. Sure, there are some filler episodes but it's still progressing. They made Shredder a bad ass in this one and not to mention that Mikey is hilarious! Right now they're in season 2 and the story has ended up with the Turtles in space. It's definitely a show to watch.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Raph: Casey, these are my brothers.

Casey: I see the family resemblance.

Mike: I'm the pretty one!
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
The opening song sucks balls, though. I hate it. THey should've just updated the original theme song. That one rocks.

Yeah I know what you mean, my little cousin sings that non stop, he hasn't even seen the show, all he's seen is the foxbox trailer and he sings. I like the cartoon overall too, It would be nice though to see rocksteady and bebop make an apperance.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Transfannabeel
Yeah I know what you mean, my little cousin sings that non stop, he hasn't even seen the show, all he's seen is the foxbox trailer and he sings. I like the cartoon overall too, It would be nice though to see rocksteady and bebop make an apperance.

In the first episode two of the Purple Dragon goons were modled after Bebop and Rocksteady in their human forms. So that's probably the most we're going to see of them. :(

I took out one of my DVDs last night and watched The Shredder Strikes 2-parter. God damn, this show is good. I hate having to wait for the DVDs to come out, though. But it's either that or wake up early on saturdays.

No chance in hell I'll be doing the latter.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

I took out one of my DVDs last night and watched The Shredder Strikes 2-parter.

Are these region 1 DVDs?
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Are these region 1 DVDs?

Yep. The first 12 episodes have been released on DVD so far. No news on the release dat for the next DVD, however.

There's a box set out, I think.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

There's a box set out, I think.

Yep there is. 12 eps on 4 DVD's for $63 at Amazon! Kinda pricy if you ask me. I guess you also get two small mini action figures with it. Only 3 eps per disc? Bah, they need a better set. Season 1 is 18 eps. If they were to release a boxed set, they should have done that and released all 18 eps.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

yeah i definantly like the tmnt series..the filler is cool to. the did a version of that jack kirby tribute.....
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Originally posted by fort_max
So, Cartoon Network has begun showing the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon.

What days and time is it on?
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I didn't know this! What time do they come on?
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

i think there on weekdays on cn at like six, but they have listings of shows on their site, and on fox I think they show it at 7:30 and 9:30 on saturday
King Fargo
Protoform

Post by King Fargo »

Saw the Krang homage on yesterday's ep. 'Tis screening here on common TV at 8am (much better than AR at 7am on Staurdays).

Yeah, I'm cut about the distinct lack of Bebop and Rocksteady. I initially thought they might have been going for a less ridiculous plotline, but then I saw the Monster Hunter episode.

Seems more based from the Movie continuity, considering the bits with Leo being on the wrong end of the damage, and also April in the antiques business.

I think the greatest thing from this incarnation is the advice that Donatello (I think) says - "That's Mikey. Just ignore anything he says."
Sig? I don't need no steenkin' sig!
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

There are hints in the ep they showed today on fox that krang is in it and I saw a toy for leatherhead, so at least he'll be in it. Maybe if krang is in it we'll see bebop and rocksteady.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Bebop and Rocksteady have already made their cameos.

If you remember in the original TMNT cartoon they were members of "Shredder's Punks". They were part of a street gang that worked under the orders of Shredder and the Foot.

Well, in the new TMNT they appeared as members of the Purple Dragons, a street gang under the orders of Shredder and the Foot.

Here's what they looked like unmutated in the original series.

Here's a pic of the Purple Dragon modeled after Rocksteady (see the similarity?).

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a better pic for Bebop. He's on the right, in the bacground behind the dude with dreads. In the original cartoon he was a black guy with sunglasses and a purple mohawk. In th new show he's a black guy with sunglasses and a big purple afro (you can see the afro in this pic).

So there they are. Bebop and Rocksteady.

But hey, they're still members of the Purple Dragons in the new TMNT. They may just get mutated for a one-shot episode. That would be awesome.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

SPOILERS!!!!

I was right about Shredder in the previous topic on TMNT!
http://tfarchive.com/community/showthre ... adid=19115

They just showed a new episode on Fox this last week titled "Secret Origins." The turtles are zapped back to earth by the aliens who had splinter. The Turtles learn of their history of how they captured a fugitive, who then escapes while being transported back to their home planet. The fugitive escapes and causes the aliens to crash into earth back in early history Japan. Here's the big part...

the alien fugitive is Shredder! I can't wait to see more!
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

Spoliers

I thought that the fugative was krang. I don't think shredder is and alien. If so then I'm kind of disappointed. Also does anyone think we'll see anymore characters from the original show?