Moonknight The Bottom Chapter One: The Fun Stuff

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Aardvark

Moonknight The Bottom Chapter One: The Fun Stuff

Post by Aardvark »

Anyone bought/buying the relatively new relaunch? He’s definitely one of my most beloved characters. I know many see him as a Batman duplicate set in the Marvel universe but heck I’ll take that. I’ve always loved the character so I was quite chuffed with the news of the relaunch.

So is it good? In this Aardvark’s opinion yes, yes it is. In fact it was a superb and “Proper” way to open a new title. It retains the dark and moody feel which many many marvel titels seem to lack. There are a lot of humorous references to other heroes and in perticuler Hawkeye. The dialogue is well thought out, engaging and insightful. Its good in the same sense as Infiltration; Its building up towards a full fledged plot, subtly and would make a fantastic TPB (If the following issues follow suit of coarse). Like Infiltration on the surface it appears very little happens but boy howdy has it set up the series. Spectre is wonderfully down and out, melancholic, and desperate really.

We get a very dark view of the character. Its reminisant of Doug Moench and Bill Sienkiewicz's Moon Knight. The artistic team of , David Finch & Danny Miki, along with colorist Frank D’Armata in IMO works unbelievably well. Each, dark panel, conveys a sense of depression, which complements the story. The religious aspect of the book also looks like its going to be explored and played up to. The Characters expressions really express true emotion in the dark set up. However their faces aren’t astatically perfect or realistic but these luxuries are sacrificed to convey the mood of the piece.

This is a fantastic read in its own right however despite this I doubt it will be able to pull in those who have written the character off as a b list Batman. The only problem I had with comic besides the relatively lack of content was the reference to the bloody Crescent copter, one of the biggest catalysts for the b-rate Batman comparesent!
-Alex???
Prowl1984

This comic is funking genius

Post by Prowl1984 »

I bought issue #1 last week and i've just finished issue #2 and this comic has blown me away. Having never read any moon knight before i was suprised with how easy it is to slip into this series. The character and this particular story generates so much emotion, the artwork's great and there's no fear about showing a little/lots of blood. i particularly liked this months issue when
SPOILER! (select to read)
he skinned bushmans face after having his knees completely and utterly ruined
i would definately have to agree with you about this series making a great TPB, i hope they include him in the upcoming Marvel:ultimate alliance game

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Ditto on the Ultimate Alliance thing. #2 is even better than the first issue. I compared the pace of the story to Infiltration before however unlike #2 of Infiltration, there is a notable acceleration in the pace of the piece.
The fight scene between Bushman and Mk was superb, reminiscent of the fight scenes you'd see in Spawn. A good bloody battle but without being OTT or being violent for just the sake of being violent. They really manage to convey the dark world and torment that MK is going through. It doesn’t give out the feeling that they're trying to be edgy or dark. I particularly like the set up. We get the dark and intriguing insights into his tormented soul but we also get enough (And particularly high quality) action through the flashbacks, which not only complement the piece but also help to set up the story for future tales.
Also Finch’s pencils are breathtaking, the artwork in MK genuinely surpasses the majority of Marvel’s other titles.
-Alex???
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Originally posted by Aardvark
Ditto on the Ultimate Alliance thing. #2 is even better than the first issue. I compared the pace of the story to Infiltration before however unlike #2 of Infiltration, there is a notable acceleration in the pace of the piece.
The fight scene between Bushman and Mk was superb, reminiscent of the fight scenes you'd see in Spawn. A good bloody battle but without being OTT or being violent for just the sake of being violent. They really manage to convey the dark world and torment that MK is going through. It doesn’t give out the feeling that they're trying to be edgy or dark. I particularly like the set up. We get the dark and intriguing insights into his tormented soul but we also get enough (And particularly high quality) action through the flashbacks, which not only complement the piece but also help to set up the story for future tales.

Also Finch’s pencils are breathtaking, the artwork in MK genuinely surpasses the majority of Marvel’s other titles.

i'd have to agree with all of that. it was nice to see a fight scene that's just a fight scene, gritty, realistic, and you could clearly see that these two characters loathe eachother. It's good to see a character who has issues that isnt whiney and sappy like for instance spider-man. This dude is really messed up

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin: