Anyone else think Brian Michael Bendis is overrated?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

ooh, shiny

Yes, he's a corporate whore
57%
No, I worship him like he was furman himself
43%

Total votes: 7

angloconvoy

Anyone else think Brian Michael Bendis is overrated?

Post by angloconvoy »

While I enjoy plenty of his stuff, I can't help but notice the way he is stretching himself thin over so many comics per month is leading to all of his stuff becoming more formulaic and inevitably samey.

Powers is still pretty good though.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Only read some of his Daredevil, and Ultimate Spidey [the huge UK reprints you can put on a pile of smaller comics and use as a coffee table], and neither blew me away... Daredevil stuff's good, but not mind-blowingly so... no better than, say, Ann Nocenti or D.G. Chesterfield... And Ultimate Spidey's such a recycling of other Spiderman stories, but with kewl references and tren-d kids, I'm really thinking those £2 pieces can go to a better cause... Buut would't like to give a real verdict having read about 15 books across two titles :)
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

He's a very good writer. Torso, Fire and Fortune and Glory are all well, wort checking out. I reviewed Torso for NinthArt, and I have to say that it was probably one of the best comics that I read last year.

Review at: http://www.ninthart.com/display.php?article=209

Enjoy.
Pope Discordia ~ Chaos since 1979.

"My advantageous mongoose masturbates with abandon over your mother's skeleton." ~ Lazurus Churchyard.

Forum.[email=lawrencesrider@hotmail.com?subject=SubCultural Evolution signup.]Mailing List[/email].For sale/Trade.Savant.Robot Fist.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

That was kind of my point though. His own stuff was (and still is where stuff like poweers is concerned) great. But he's sold his soul to marvel and spread himself too thin. For example, ultimate spidey is now fortnightly. Oh, but if you do want something that not his own creation but is bloody good (from back before he spread himself too thin), go read the first sam and twitch trade: Udaku.
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

Ultimate Spidey isn't my thing really, but it's easily the best Ultimate title out there. Some of his Ultimate Marvel Team-Ups were great though, especially the one with Jim Mahfood. I forget what number that was.

Thinking about it, his commercial work generally isn't as good as his creator owned stuff, but that's quite common of most comic writers. When doing worl for hire your hands are tied as to wht you can actually achieve.

Oh, and Alias is quite good. Certainly a grittier feel to it than Powers, although the art may have something to do with that.

"My advantageous mongoose masturbates with abandon over your mother's skeleton." ~ Lazurus Churchyard.

Forum.[email=lawrencesrider@hotmail.com?subject=SubCultural Evolution signup.]Mailing List[/email].For sale/Trade.Savant.Robot Fist.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Personally I'm not keen on alias. I can see why people like it, but to me its just an inferior variation on powers.
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

That's the reason I stopped reading it. Well, not because it's inferior, but because I already read Powers. I have a few friends who started reading Alias before Powers, and do the opposite.

angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I just found that alias tried more for shock value, as did bendis run on hellspawn. When a writer resorts to shock value without it being neccessary to further the story, I just get bored. Its lazy writing. Powers does make use of shock value at times, but its so far been used well.
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

The problem is that Bendis isn't a good action writer. He writes great dialogue and mystery scenes, and keeps suspense going well, but when it comes to a fight? Forget it.

I take Luke Cage's appearance in Alias 1 is what you mean by shock tactics?

angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

It was more her conversation with carol danvers about the event actually. though the actual page picturing her and cage was there entirely for the sake of "look at me I'm an adult marvel title"
popediscordia
Protoform

Post by popediscordia »

that's what most people thought. Sadly that scene will probably haunt him for the rest of his career. Lot's of buggery jokes...

Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Daredevil
Alais
Powers
are
all
I
read
of
Brain
Michel
Bendis
I
hate
Ultimate
Spider-Man
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Spectre
Protoform

Post by Spectre »

He really isn't that good. Compare him to say Jon Ostrander, Grant Morrison, or Roy Thomas and he is garbage.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Spectre
He really isn't that good. Compare him to say Jon Ostrander, Grant Morrison, or Roy Thomas and he is garbage.

While I wouldn't call Bendis "garbage" or even "n't that good", I do think those writers are better than Bendis, with the exception of Ostrander. (who's work I've never been that impressed by)

The only thing I can recall reading of his is his first Daredevil story arc and those were the last new Daredevil comics that I picked up. I wasn't impressed by Bendis, but then I haven't read Powers.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by Hound
While I wouldn't call Bendis "garbage" or even "n't that good", I do think those writers are better than Bendis, with the exception of Ostrander. (who's work I've never been that impressed by)

The only thing I can recall reading of his is his first Daredevil story arc and those were the last new Daredevil comics that I picked up. I wasn't impressed by Bendis, but then I haven't read Powers.

Powers is probly the best thing Bendis writes right now
Daredevil has too much Matt Murdock and not enough Daredevil
Alaias is one of the most boring books to read
and Hound try Spectre (not that Hal Jordan Spirt of Redemetion garbage) to see how good of a writer John Ostrander is
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Spectre
Protoform

Post by Spectre »

I've not been overly impressed with Powers. About Jon Ostrander though check out the following series Spectre (volume 3), Grimjack, Eternal Warrior, Magnus: Robot Fighter, Firestorm, Suicide Squad, and Martian Manhunter.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I've not been overly impressed with Powers. About Jon Ostrander though check out the following series Spectre (volume 3), Grimjack, Eternal Warrior, Magnus: Robot Fighter, Firestorm, Suicide Squad, and Martian Manhunter.

I've read Martian Manhunter, Suicide Squad and Firestorm and while they didn't suck they weren't anything special. I'm in the process of searching for a Magnus: Robot Fighter TPB as the first 5 issues are on that Wizard Top 40 list. Didn't Ostrander write one of the X-Men spin-off books? If I'm remembering correctly I wasn't impressed by those either. Also, Spectre is on my "I'll get around to it" list...
Spectre
Protoform

Post by Spectre »

Ostrander started on Magnus with issue 21 and his run was something special. He wrote about 8 issues of X-Man. X books have the most rigid editorial staff and the editors usually determine about half the plot in them. This is why X books have typically been garbage for most of the past ten to twelve years as the editors have been people like Kavanagh, Harras, and Powers. X-Man was a steeming pile of putrid waste from the beginning. It was started by Jeph Loeb after all.

Firestorm, Suicide Squad, and Martian Manhunter aren't anything special:eyebrow: ? What do you find to be special then?
Hound

Post by Hound »

Firestorm, Suicide Squad, and Martian Manhunter aren't anything special:eyebrow: ? What do you find to be special then?

Almost everything written by Alan Moore, Gaiman's Sandman, Frank Miller's Batman and Daredevil comics, Claremont's X-Men titles, Miracleman (which I just finished, thanks BlueBlaster:) ), Earth X, Tim Truman's Hawkworld mini, Mike Grell's Green Arrow, John Byrne's Superman, Peter David's Aquaman and Atlantis Chronicles, Giffen and DeMattius' JLI, Waid's Flash, Judd Winick's Green Lantern and several other comics all of which are better than anything I've ever read by Ostrander. I'm not saying he's a bad writer, I've heard nothing but praise for his run on Spectre and I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I finally get to reading it, but up to this point I haven't read anything by him that was better than average.
Spectre
Protoform

Post by Spectre »

I strongly suggest you try out the following (although you are off to a good start on excellent comics): Jon Sable, Kabuki, Steranko's Nick Fury, Next Men, Grimjack, Eisner's Spirit, any Will Eisner graphic novel, Poison Elves, Cerebus, Any Amazing Spiderman until DeFalco started writing it, Roy Thomas on Conan, Grendel, Mage, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Batman: Contagion, Batman: No Man's Land, Starman, JSA, JLA, Carmine Infantino Flash, Jim Shooter Legion of Superheroes, most any book by Valiant, Starman, Rom, Hawkworld monthly, current Hawkman, Sandman, Doom PAtrol, Invisibles, Maus, Byrne Superman, Lone Wolf and Cub, Scalphunter, Golden Age, Truman's run on Turok, anything by Greg Rucka, Kirby FF, Kirby Thor, Simonson Thor, and too many others too list at one time.
"You glorify the past
when the future dries up."
- "God Part II" by U2