I Have The Worst Sore Throat Ever

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Dinobot

I Have The Worst Sore Throat Ever

Post by Dinobot »

I mean this isn't even a sore throat this is ****ing beyond a sore throat, I've had sore throats but this is killing me. Painkillers don't work, lozenges don't work (and I'm probably dangerously close to an overdose), I'm so hungry but I can't eat, I'm so tired but I can't sleep. Help me!!!!!!! :(
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Anything growing? Might be a job for antibiotics. In the meantime, if you've got anything to take to force yourself to sleep, that'll help healing kick in...
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

What you mean growing? Like growing in my throat? God I hope not.:wtf: Any good home made sleep aid remedies?
"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, growing -- white fuzz etc. Signs of infection (though flesh just being bloody and raw can also be...) If it doesn't clear up soon, see a GP.

Strong alcohol, brandy tends to be traditional. Not ideal to take soon after some types of painkillers and neat might aggravate the throat (so dilute with hot water), but it's both antiseptic and promotes healing.
Dinobot

Post by Dinobot »

Will try that thanks. No sign of anything growing, just a lot of flem coming up really...
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If it's caused by what's known as a productive cough, take an expectorant (eg, some types of Covonia) and possibly a decongestant (eg, Sudafed) if it's in your head as well -- try to get the phlegm out of your system before the coughing does damage. It's probably worth investigating antibiotics if it's been going for a while and the phlegm's still yellow/green.

You can probably get an all-in-one expectorant and decongestant over the counter.

edit:

Might be useful --

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:ww ... en&strip=1
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

Screw the OTC stuff- get your ass to a Doctor to get some serious antibiotics or at least a Z-Pak. If you have strep, it will only get worse. Take it from someone who knows.

Be mindful of what Denyer said- use a flashlight and a mirror to check the very back of your throat. Ginger Brandy (My Grammy's favorite) is good right before bed. So is gargling for 60 seconds with a heap of salt mixed with warm water.

I feel your pain. Seriously. Which is why you should really consider seeing a licensed physician.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Grandmaster Shockwaeve
Protoform

Post by Grandmaster Shockwaeve »

Seeing a doctor is a good idea.

But if you're looking for effective pain relief, I use the following concoction: hot water with honey, lemon, ginger, and cayenne pepper. It sounds vile, I know, but it really does help.

I know that cayenne pepper sounds crazy, but it really does work. You can even dissolve some alone in hot water and gargle with it, occasionally swallowing a small amount. Just make sure you start with a small amount of pepper and slowly increase it the first time so you don't burn your tongue off.
Hang on to your ego.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Yet another helpful person pitches in...

Go to the doctor. Go to the doctor as soon as possible, especially if you have the following symptoms:

It's difficult to swallow at all
When you do swallow, it feels like glass shards
And that includes liquids; cold = momentary relief, but hot = impossible
If there is severe pain in one or both ears, particularly when trying to swallow
Possibly hard to turn the head more than a little each way
Heavy pain-killers are doing diddilly-squat

You must be checked for ulcerative tonsillitis (quinsy). :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]