20th Anniversary Optimus Question

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
MookieNJ
Protoform

20th Anniversary Optimus Question

Post by MookieNJ »

I've read about differences between the smokestacks of the Japanese and American releases of the Masterpiece Convoy / Prime figure, and after looking at Hasbro's pictures I was satisfied that the US stacks would look fine. However, I was looking over a photo gallery of the American figure over at TFW2005 and now I'm really confused. One of their pictures looks like this:

Those stacks look REALLY small. Then I look at a picture of the box art:

And those stacks look pretty true to the original figure to me. That's what I want my Optimus to look like.

Did Hasbro screw up and put the Japanese figure on their promotional webpage and on the box? Or did whoever take those pictures somehow make their Optimus look funny? Or is that one broken? Please clarify!
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Hasbro's Optimus looks the same as the one in the photo on top. Hasbro's been known to use art of the original figures, even if it doesn't reflect what's inside the box. The reissues of Optimus and Ultra Magnus had shortened stacks but showed lengthened stacks on the box. Same with the missiles for Thundercracker, Starscream and Skywarp. Only way to get full-length stacks is to order the Takara version. Sorry.
MookieNJ
Protoform

Post by MookieNJ »

What are the best online stores to order imported TFs from? I've found and visited Action-HQ and Big Bad Toystore, what others are worth checking out? Thanks!
Gesani
Protoform

Post by Gesani »

Hmm.... i dont mind the "Battle Damage" Paint but i think those short stacks are gonna make me import the takara version... maybe somebody will have both versions at OTFCC '04 and not be asking 2 arms and a leg for...