OK, so we got a Supreme-sized BM Optimus Primal...

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Solaris
Protoform

OK, so we got a Supreme-sized BM Optimus Primal...

Post by Solaris »

..but please, for the love of Primus, why not a Supreme BM Megatron? Personally, I would have gladly spent $$$ on a scarred up looking dragon, complete with command harness. Instead we got that midget looking thing...
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Actually, we didn't get a supreme sized BM Optimus Primal.

The falure of the Supreme Cheetor killed the idea of something that big within the line. There was supposed to be a Supreme sized (along with quite a few other figures in the Battle for the Sparks line) but - as it died in the US, they were never released, with the last US release being Nightslash Cheetor and Blast Punch Optimus Primal. Though apparently a few places saw a retail release of Battle Unicorn (I'm not sure how correct that is though).

Canada, Europe\UK saw the release of Spystreak, Motor Cycle Drone, Night Viper and Strika - but there were still at least 3 moulds (that I know of) that were made for BM but were shelved as Hasbro geared up for Robots In Disguise (US Version of Car Robots). Through some serious campaigning (and I'm not sure how they feel about it now) Big Bad Toy Store (an online toy store and sponser of this site, not to mention some really good guys) - managed to get a limited run of Battle Unicorns. It's a good figure and I'm glad it made it out.

Some of the non US released figures were used as fillers early on (the Vehicon pack featuring Scrapper, Obsidian and Spystreak for one). But as that line wound down (there actually wasn't a lot of figures in the Japanese release AND Hasbro couldn't release Fortress Maximus like they planned, even through online toy stores) - they needed a few fillers to tide the fans over until Armada, and the 12 repaints of the Spy changers weren't going to cut it

Enter 3 (to my knowledge) Beast Machines moulds that were never supposed to see the light of day:

Bruticus: A three headed Predicon guard dog, originally going to be called Cerberus (after the greek guardian of Hades) and originally a Maximal. One of my fav moulds too.... good figure

Air Attack Optimus Primal: Yes it is based off of the BM figure and the only one show accurate (Mould Wise Blast Punch was very accurate, too bad his colours sucked.....). But it was released at the tail end of RID. Good thing though - it is a spectacular figure. Amazing articulation, some good gimics and well, show accurate.

Megabolt Megatron: This is your second BM Megatron mould. Based off of (sort of) the giant floating head scene in BM - this megatron was a giant head on 8 legs. It's also deluxed sized and a thousand times better than the Mega Megatron from BM. Again, if you can find it (or Megabolt from Universe) - Pick it up - it's great. Again, show accurate (to an extent) a cool gimick that doesn't interfere. As a bonus, in RID Megabolt Megatron was said to be an emmisary - much like "Brave" was in RID. If you remove all 8 legs (something to seriously think about before hand, I have two so it didn't bother me) - the black square at the bottom fits perfectly into Brave Maximus' head slot. This is pure fluke - but a nice and welcome one.

On the subject of Supreme toys:

They're killing Hasbro. Takara has put out one supreme sized toy for each line - Hasbro put out 3 - all of which can be found on sale. I don't know what happened from the Beast Wars era to now - but Hasbro seems to really like the supreme size point - dispite their lack luster sales......
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
(or Megabolt from Universe)

Just a note. In the US at least, Megabolt was released under RID (one of the last two, the other being Jhiaxus).

This seemed really silly to me because Universe had been started a few months prior and Armada was out, but they still included some figures under the RID banner.
Clay

Post by Clay »

It's not necessarily that they suck at sales (which they do) that makes them shelfwarmers. It probably has more to do with them making far too many of the silly things.

I.E.- Unicron. Great figure, and sold reasonably well for a $50 action figure (I noticed two or three that sold when they first came out). It's impossible to infer that now, because they shipped roughly 23 more figures to each store than was needed.

At the same local store, when Omega Supreme came out, they only stocked four or five of the things, total. And that was that. I bought one, and then one more disappeared, and then the others went at xmas when they went on the holiday sale.

I suppose the key to the supreme figures is to just not produce them in large quantities. They sell alright when each store only gets about three of the silly things.

This, of course, is not what hasbro does :p
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Yeah, as a kid, you'll be lucky to get a supreme-sized toy over the holidays. If you do, chances are good that you won't be getting anything else . . .
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

But you look at it though. Once hasbro stablized their price points (remember G1 - with like 25 different price points ;) ) - they went overboard pretty quickly

Beast Wars had 1 Supreme for the entire series (Optimal Optimus)

Beast Machines, a much smaller line, had 3 or 4 planned, depending on what you thought of Magnatron (The other three being Supreme Cheetor, Air Attack Optimus Primal, and Primal Prime)

RID Came along and they introduced the Leader Price point - so there were less Supremes (Air Attack being the only one I can think of off the top of my head)

Armada wasn't too bad (with Uni being the only one off the top of my head)

Then in Energon, they got carried away again (Uni and the two Omega's)

Cybertron's not starting out so well, with 2 planned Supremes (Starscream and Primus)
SynjoDeonecros
Protoform

Post by SynjoDeonecros »

Cybertron's not starting out so well, with 2 planned Supremes (Starscream and Primus)

At least Primus looks cool, and looks to have a crapload of articulation and 'special gimicks' to keep fanboys happy. I'm sure I'll be looking forward to getting my paws on him.

I agree, though; they dropped the ball with Supreme Starscream. Cool toy to look at, but not nearly needed as a Supreme. Thank Primus he's coming out in a smaller size.
Weakness is strength.
Ignorance is knowledge.
Death is life.
For there can be no strength without weakness...
No knowledge without ignorance...
No life without death...
And no light...without darkness...

"Unicron, my master. With this, I will make you...my slave..." Galvatron, Transformers: The Movie
Cyclone_X
Protoform

Post by Cyclone_X »

Some of the non US released figures were used as fillers early on (the Vehicon pack featuring Scrapper, Obsidian and Spystreak for one).
Those are Scavenger, Mirage and Spystreak ;) (all 3 releases as BM and recolored as Autobots for RiD)
Megabolt Megatron: This is your second BM Megatron mould. Based off of (sort of) the giant floating head scene in BM - this megatron was a giant head on 8 legs. It's also deluxed sized and a thousand times better than the Mega Megatron from BM. Again, if you can find it (or Megabolt from Universe) - Pick it up - it's great. Again, show accurate (to an extent) a cool gimick that doesn't interfere. As a bonus, in RID Megabolt Megatron was said to be an emmisary - much like "Brave" was in RID. If you remove all 8 legs (something to seriously think about before hand, I have two so it didn't bother me) - the black square at the bottom fits perfectly into Brave Maximus' head slot. This is pure fluke - but a nice and welcome one.
Megabolt has only 6 legs and (SPOILER maybe?) Savage/Noble is also Megatron
if you missed the 2 US releases of this mold, there is also BWR Megatron megabolt
On the subject of Supreme toys:

They're killing Hasbro. Takara has put out one supreme sized toy for each line - Hasbro put out 3 - all of which can be found on sale. I don't know what happened from the Beast Wars era to now - but Hasbro seems to really like the supreme size point - dispite their lack luster sales......

Takara put out 2 Supremes in Superlink (with Unicron limited to 3000) (and a green colored Unicron as a lucky draw/contest prize)

but yeah, Hasbro repaints them too much, and 2 of the 4 recent Suprme molds (I'm counting Primus as well) arent that great as a figure and/or transformation

I wish that Supers were the largest again, like Optimal Optimus
BTFA, 2 year anniversary
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Cyclone_X
(I'm counting Primus as well)

Can't really count Primus, as we really haven't seen any propper pics of his toy yet. We've seen the animation model and the prototype of his planet mode.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Scourge = You can see the fully painted Primus Test Shots Here - so he is looking good. Even comes with the Chip Square (why the heck that things called a square, I'll never know......)

Originally posted by Cyclone_X
Those are Scavenger, Mirage and Spystreak ;) (all 3 releases as BM and recolored as Autobots for RiD)
It was mirage, wasn't it. The Cow Obsidian was released on it's own.... Doesn't really matter. My point was that Spystreak did see mass North Am release :p

Megabolt has only 6 legs and (SPOILER maybe?) Savage/Noble is also Megatron
if you missed the 2 US releases of this mold, there is also BWR Megatron megabolt
Is it only 6? He's one of the one's in the "lost TF box" that's sitting at the parents place since I left for whitehorse. It's off the top of my head ;)
I guess Noble Savage could be counted as a Megatron figure. BUT, in the Cartoon, the body lived on, with out the Megatron Spark - and even helped the Maximals, which is something Megs would never do. I tend to think of him as his own character. But I can see how you can classify it as that :)

Takara put out 2 Supremes in Superlink (with Unicron limited to 3000) (and a green colored Unicron as a lucky draw/contest prize)
Limited editions and Lucky draws. Takara puts out 1 general release Supreme per series (not counting exclusives and Lucky Draw items - as they're not warming shelves in every mass retailer in Japan). I think Hasbro should stick with that phillosopy. It might hurt the retailers less in the long run.
I wish that Supers were the largest again, like Optimal Optimus

I don't mind the Supreme price point (excluding supreme cheetor.... ugh) there have been some good moulds out of it (Unicron, Primus, Omega, Primal) that can even have some good paint jobs (Energon Uni and Omega Sentinel). The problem is that there are too many releases. Once a series (when they're going for 1 year change overs) or once a year (for long running series like G1 and Beast Wars). Perhaps this will force Hasbro to make good colour schemes the first time around (wishful thinking, I know.....)
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Scourge = You can see the fully painted Primus Test Shots Here - so he is looking good. Even comes with the Chip Square (why the heck that things called a square, I'll never know......)

Saw that. No actual Robot mode pics of the toy, though. Only the animation model.