StormWatch - Force of Nature

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

StormWatch - Force of Nature

Post by Cliffjumper »

I am impressed. I don't know how impressed, as I can't read what is a bit of the run against the full runs of Ellis' work on Counter-X or Excalibur, but I'm impressed enough to be buying the next one next chance I get.

Very, very good stuff - it kinda got a bit getting used to the fact there's only a very minor ongoing plot through the book, I'm a bit used to TPBs being a pretty strongly linked arc, rather than just a segment of connecting issues...

But I loved the ideas, and the characters... only the wild stereotyping on Hellstrike didn't really work for me, and there are a number vying for favourite - Sparks, Hawksmoor, Fuji and Winter are front-runners for me. The dialogue's great too, maybe not quite as sparkling as some of the Marvel stuff, but again that's a familiarity thing, as some line by Wisdom is backed up by the fact I know Wisdom like the back of my hand, whereas I could tell you bugger-all about, say, Flint at this stage.

I'm actually quite glad I do have #1 & #3 of the series, just as it sets several characters up nicely - I kinda didn't expect half of them to still be around, but I always though Fuji looked cool, and it's nice to know that now he is cool :) I was actually surprised how much I was able to pick up, or at least work around, with a 35-issue gap...

I've only had chance to read it once so far, but it pretty much blew me away... where exactly it'll slot into my favourites I don't know, but it'll be high!

Thanks to Josh M for the nagging! And Hound for the nagging!

Not buying anything DC anytime soon though :p
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Trust me, it just gets better and better as it goes along. The next trade (Lightning Strikes) is even less connected, since it's mostly just solo stories for each member, but it's certainly great for character development. After that it's solid story arcs with a running plotline all the way through to The Authority.

Good to see you finally gave in. Now read some Vertigo, especially Sandman. ;)
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by BigMaki
Good to see you finally gave in. Now read some Vertigo, especially Sandman. ;)

That goes double... no triple for me!!!
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I dunno guys, Bill Jemas nicked me on the kneee-cap with a bullet when I was clambering over the wall to Wildstorm... apparently Ralph Macchio [no, the other one] is between me and Vertigo :(
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Originally posted by BigMaki
Trust me, it just gets better and better as it goes along. The next trade (Lightning Strikes) is even less connected, since it's mostly just solo stories for each member, but it's certainly great for character development. After that it's solid story arcs with a running plotline all the way through to The Authority.

Not quite true, the last one's a **** cash cow tie-in for wildcats fans alone to enjoy. Authority gets right back on track though.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I liked WildC.A.T.S!

Well, one of them.

Actually, that was Giant Man from the WW3 crossover.

Boo WildC.A.T.S!
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by angloconvoy
Not quite true, the last one's a **** cash cow tie-in for wildcats fans alone to enjoy. Authority gets right back on track though.

True, the 5th trade is probably the weakest one of them all, but it also has arguably the most important events occuring in it. At least they had the guts to have a crossover that actually meant something to the storyline and had an effect on future events. Even if it took using WildCATS to do it...
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Yeah, but I just didn't buy the convenient, ooh look what they've somehow mysteriously managed to do to this guy bits (trying to keep it spoiler free for cliffy but maki should know what I mean)
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by angloconvoy
Yeah, but I just didn't buy the convenient, ooh look what they've somehow mysteriously managed to do to this guy bits (trying to keep it spoiler free for cliffy but maki should know what I mean)

I agree with you there, and remember that being my main gripe about the storyline when I first read it. One of the few lazy bits of writing I've seen Ellis have. He must have known it, too, since characters pretty much state what you're thinking, mainly, "how the hell did this happen to...?"

Still, it ranks as one of the better crossovers I've read, since it's not an "Elseworlds" or "What If...?" story. Ellis took the crossover idea, made it work into the continuity and used it to have a lasting effect on the characters involved and the storyline as a whole. I'd rather have that than, "Hey, look! Batman is fighting the Predator! Again!"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
apparently Ralph Macchio [no, the other one] is between me and Vertigo :(
You can cheat and get the basic plot of Sandman from Preludes and Nocturnes and The Kindly Ones... it's really very good.

Hellblazer at all?
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Denyer
Hellblazer at all?

I read a whole bunch of that recently. The only bad part about the TPBs is they don't reprint the entire series. You get a bit of this guy's run and a bit of this other guy and then a bit of that same guy with this other artist and then some other guy. From what I understand the entire series is good but DC doesn't bother. Can't say I was happy about that. The stories are completely awesome though and Ennis' run is just exceptional.

On a related note, I just finished book 3 of Preacher earlier this morning. It's pretty good. There are a couple of needlessly disgusting bits that seem to be thrown in just to be disgusting but the characters are all pretty likeable and their is lots of sex and violence so it's holding my interest.

BTW Cliffy, you do know that DC owns Wildstorm right?
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I used to read Stormwatch and I did enjoyed it for a while then I lost intrest in it.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Hound
On a related note, I just finished book 3 of Preacher earlier this morning. It's pretty good. There are a couple of needlessly disgusting bits that seem to be thrown in just to be disgusting but the characters are all pretty likeable and their is lots of sex and violence so it's holding my interest.
Well, I will say that most of the stuff in Preacher is gratuitously violent and disgusting, but that seems to be the point. Still, Jesse & Co. are characters with such incredible charisma that it makes you want to keep reading and following them on their journey. Incredibly good series. Just don't let anybody spoil anything for you...
BTW Cliffy, you do know that DC owns Wildstorm right?

SHHHHHHH!!! :glance:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeah, but technically I'm just exploring characters featured in the Wildstorm/Heroes Reborn WW3 crossover [which still rocks].