Ghost Rider

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
axio
Protoform

Ghost Rider

Post by axio »

Anyone a fan? Blaze was the best rider IMO :D
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

I liked Blaze as Blaze in the new(er) series. I liked the Kid as Ghost Rider and Blaze as the mentor, it was really good that way, but I haven't read it since I was like 15 or so.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Jeez... the last GR stuff I read was around the time it switched to being part of the 'Midnight Sons' branch of Marvel. Some of that stuff (second series; Dan Ketch's GR) was great, IMO. the first story arc with Deathwatch/Kingpin/Blackout is still a favourite of mine.
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hmmm... the first series has highs and lows... I'll agree that Blaze was the best character, but the 80s series nailed it as far as decent, darker storylines was concerned, even if Danny was a bit ass when he wasn't skulled up, and the series ran for 20 issues longer than it should have done... but the Marvel Knights mini was bad. I got the first 3 issues, and that was three too many...
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Hmmm... the first series has highs and lows... I'll agree that Blaze was the best character, but the 80s series nailed it as far as decent, darker storylines was concerned, even if Danny was a bit ass when he wasn't skulled up, and the series ran for 20 issues longer than it should have done... but the Marvel Knights mini was bad. I got the first 3 issues, and that was three too many...

Yep. To every point above, even down to me buying the first three issues and wishing I hadn't bothered.

What really botherd me with the last twenty of the dany ketch GR series was that they changed to a new writer who seemed as if he'd never read any previous issues and threw away the entire continuity in favour of his "bold new direction everything you thought you knew was wrong and the real honest to god true story is more inane than you ever could have imagined ha ha ha I got my dog to write the scripts" bollocks
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I mean, red & yellow?
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Yeah, that was pretty damned ugly. I never the get the last issue of the early 90s run though, not that I expect I'm missing out hugely.

But on the plus side, Howard the Duck was in one issue. They really should bring out another essential howard the duck
Silly Cow

Post by Silly Cow »

The only solid Ghost Rider run we got here in Finland was the deal with Zarathos, Lilth and Centurius. When I finally got myself to read it, I enjoyed it. It was well built and quite long. I'm not sure did we miss something but the ending seemed to be "a bit" rushed. They defeat all the bad guys in the last two pages and in the end: "Oh yeah, you two are brothers." The end. Like, what?
Thanks D!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hmm, I'm afraid I haven't read much Ghost Rider for a while, so I won't be much help :(... incidentally, one Bob Budiansky pencilled some of the original series, and came up with some of the more interesting storylines... I tell you what is a surprisingly good read though - Ghost Rider 2099. There's some very interesting stuff there, and it's probably the best of the 2099 line.
Silly Cow

Post by Silly Cow »

Hmm, I'm afraid I haven't read much Ghost Rider for a while

For a while? The story I mentioned was ancient history. We got it around 95-96 so they were probably published in the states a couple of years earlier. Howard Mackie was the writer then and most of the art was drawn by Adam Kubert. Don't know the original issues though.
Thanks D!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, I meant I haven't read the ones I've got [which includes a fair chunk of that series (it'll be the second one)] for a while, and I don't have especially good recall of Ghost Rider...

You guys must've got the fairly plodding, but pretty cool, X-Men/Ghost Rider Brood storyline, though?
Silly Cow

Post by Silly Cow »

You guys must've got the fairly plodding, but pretty cool, X-Men/Ghost Rider Brood storyline, though?

Nah, only the aftermatch in which Wolverine, Beast and Ghost Rider fight against some mercenaries.
Thanks D!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Slightly offtopic, but did anyone else have the Ghost Rider action figures? It was one helluva solid toyline. Beat the bejeezus outta any of Toy Biz's old X-Men cra.p...
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

I do accually
and it is a decent figure

I think it's in my basement accually
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Just to let everyone here know, the director from Daredevil has just signed on to do the Ghost Rider Movie

I haven't seen Daredevil yet, so I can't say if this is a good or bad thing

but the story looks to be based on the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider as opposed to Danny
Highbrow

Post by Highbrow »

Ghost Rider was probably one of my all-time favorite comics. I never read any of the John Blaze run, but I read a big chunk of the Dan Ketch run(from the X-men cross-over, to issue 50).

I wasn't all that thrilled when Blaze went "cyborg", but Vengeance made up for it(even if he was a dumb idea, I still liked him.)

Pop Mhan's art is/was atrocious, IMO. I never could read anything that he did the art for.
SCREAM MY NAME IN BINARY!!!!!!
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Blaze became a cyborg?

Wow, marvel's had some wierd Idea's after I stopped reading them
Highbrow

Post by Highbrow »

Not really a cyborg, he just looked like a beat-up Teminator. It was more of a contaiment suit, really. Blaze's Hellfire shotgun turned out to be nothing more than a channeling medium, since the Hellfire had been inside Blaze all along, in a MASSIVE amount. This Hellfire was released, when one of Lilith's Alliance(a guy named Carver, whom I don't think was Lilin) was cutiing him up, trying to get his fragment of the Medallion. Blaze had to have a bunch of armor-like plating grafted on, to keep the HEllfire inside him. It happened during the "Road to Vengeance" Crossover, WAAY back when.
SCREAM MY NAME IN BINARY!!!!!!
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

LOL, well I haven't read Marvel for along time
Started getting into the alternatives when I was 16 (evil ernie, Grendel, Cry For Dawn, The Crow)