• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2018-07-03, 09:39 PM   #6101
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I'll take back the typo. Does that count?

But I really don't think the Dreadwing mode works very well. It only has a single connection point, Dreadwind's wings don't sit flush to the fuselage when they're positioned all the way back and Darkwing's head and cockpit both just kinda hang out on top with no attempt made to hide them. It's nice that they went the extra mile to include it when the guys are already combiner limbs, but the engineering really could have used another revision or two to made everything fit together a bit better.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-03, 09:59 PM   #6102
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

And there's gaps where Darkwing's wings don't touch the fuselage. I had some luck putting Technics pegs in Dreadwind's arm holes, then reaching Darkwing's arms forward to grab them. That made the connection strong enough, and made those gaps less obvious, at the cost of a less aerodynamic jet mode.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-04, 04:00 AM   #6103
Warcry

Kicking off what's going to be a ridiculous week thanks to Amazon Canada releasing what feels like half the year's worth of Transformers and Marvel Legends all at once, I got a package with POTP Tailgate and the components of POTP Battletrap in the mail today.

Tailgate is a really good realization of the 80s toy design using modern toy technology. I wasn't super sold on the Windcharger using this mold, mainly because of the wonky head, but Tailgate works really nicely. I've always thought that the original Tailgate figure was among the nicest of the 80s Minibots, so the IDW-based figure we got a few years ago didn't do much for me. I wanted something chunkier, though I wasn't exactly holding my breath. Hasbro really surprised me by taking another crack at the character so soon after the last one, but I suppose if they want the classic Mini-cars to be a constant presence in the Legends price point some repetition is inevitable. Whatever their motivations, the new Tailgate is a nice, simple little figure with a boxy robot mode that turns into a slick little car. I do wish the legs featured a thigh swivel, but other than that this is basically the Tailgate I wish we'd gotten four years ago.

I don't think Battletrap quite worked out as nicely. The combined robot mode is a good update to the extremely simple original, but Copter Guy and Truck Guy are both fairly weak as individual Legends-class figures. They both look pretty boring, with Battletrap's colour scheme ensuring that one of them is 95% white and the other is 95% blue. Neither one is particularly exciting as a separate robot either. The copter (Battleslash?) is solid enough, I suppose, though not very memorable. But the car (Roadtrap? I get the feeling I won't remember these names for more than a week) is kind of a mess, with some really wobbly engineering on account of how he needs to split in half from the neck down for the combined mode.

Compared to the very simple Tailgate, it's actually quite impressive how much complexity they crammed into Battletrap's two components in order to get three functional modes out of something so tiny. I have to wonder if all that work was really worth it, though, because the intermediate robot modes don't really add much to the whole package. If they give us a Flywheels in the same style in the future, I hope they work out some of the kinks that this figure had first.

Old 2018-07-04, 07:02 PM   #6104
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Yeah, the earlier shit Tailgate works well with a MTMTE/LL line up but would totally get the new one if I see it in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I'll take back the typo. Does that count?
Rationally it's difficult to even describe as a combined mode, you just sort of put the two halves next to each other. It might be the least swooshable plane ever although using the light blue claw as a clip under the body does work.

It does look better than https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Filereadwing_down.jpg which is actually my main memory of it.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-05, 03:52 PM   #6105
Warcry

Another package arrived last night! Considering all the new arrivals, I haven't had much time to spend with them individually. But I've got some first impressions.

POTP Blot had a loose beast leg, which was a bit of a downer. I think I've sorted that out now by working some polish into the joint. Beyond that I think he's a pretty good figure, probably neck and neck with Rippersnapper for the best of the Terrorcons.

POTP Sinnertwin is strangely bulky in places, and you can really tell that he's build using a backwards Snarl as his base. But he's got a decently poseable beast mode and his robot mode is just as good as the usual modern combiner limb. My only real gripe is that if they could only afford to include a version of one of the original toy's guns, they really, really made the wrong choice. The G1 toy's over-under handgun was awesome, and the back-mounted beast cannon looks a little silly downsized into something handheld.

POTP Cutthroat feels like the weakest of the bunch. Like Skyquake mentioned, his head falls off constantly. It also doesn't have enough range of motion to have him look straight forward in a flying pose, which sucks. They also added a lot more purple to his colour scheme, which I don't think is very flattering, and I'm not a fan of the HUGE toy-based tampographs on his shins.

POTP Outback was also in the shipment. He's using the Brawn mold from Titans Return, so he's a solid little figure. He's definitely more Brawn than Outback though, even with the retooled head. The squat body and bulky limbs that carried over from Brawn's character model definitely don't scream Outback to me, since he's usually been drawn a bit lankier in keeping with the original toy. The alt mode, likewise, is still very Brawny and it's a shame they didn't ditch the little removable shield for the back of the truck and replace it with Outback's top-mounted gun. But character likeness aside it's definitely a good Legends figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
It does look better than https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Filereadwing_down.jpg which is actually my main memory of it.
I was actually going to say that I don't remember ever seeing the combined mode in the comics before, but apparently it actually showed up a lot in the US book and I just have a bad memory. When I think of Darkwing and Dreadwind, what mostly comes to mind is them griping about how they were going to die while fighting Unicron, then moping about how Cybertron was about to die a couple issues later.

Old 2018-07-05, 06:14 PM   #6106
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Transformers: Generations-Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus

Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-06, 03:59 PM   #6107
Warcry

Another package showed up yesterday. POTP Cindersaur this time. He's a redeco of Slash, which is a fancy way of saying he looks absolutely nothing like the original Cindersaur beyond the colours. But like Outback, if you're not a stickler for likeness it's a nice figure. The little raptor mode is cute and the robot has good articulation.

That said, it's not really a figure I'm getting all that excited about. But I don't know how much of that is Cindersaur and how much of it is because it's the ninth Transformer I'd opened in eight days and I'm starting to feel a bit burned out. I haven't really had the time to settle down and appreciate any of them yet. And apparently I've got a box of Marvel Legends waiting for me to open when I get home from work today, too, so it might be a while before I get to spend much time fiddling with any of these.

My little boy does like Cindersaur, though, even if I had to take it away from him after he started smashing it down on our concrete back step.

Old 2018-07-06, 07:14 PM   #6108
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Another package arrived last night! Considering all the new arrivals, I haven't had much time to spend with them individually. But I've got some first impressions.
I found the three remaining terrorcon limbs Monday. I'm sorry, but I can't be even remotely objective about them.

Hungrr should be here monday, wheeeee

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-07, 01:12 PM   #6109
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Power Of The Primes Hun Gurr
He's not the greatest, truth be told. The robot mode is fine, but the beast mode is a bit off here and there, but I can't tell you how happy I am to have this guy and his teammates. The Terrorcons are firm favourites of mine and I love having new, decently articulated versions of them that improve over the dumpy, but adorable originals. Hun Gurr is nice and tall and stands up straight. Even though this is just an extensive retool of the CW Silverbolt mode, it feels significantly different - I'm guessing it's the dragon mode that does that. He feels nice and sturdy and is good fun.

The combined form of Abominus looks excellent, it's a glorious colourful explosion of late '80s Transformers madness. I do find the pink feeties are a bit on the small side. I was hoping they'd be a bit bigger and more like Computron's hefty clompers. They work out fine though and he stands up well (Hun Gurr certainly feels a lot less wibbly than Scattorshot did) enough. The team are excellent and are far and away my favourite of all the CW gestalts I've picked up (Superion is now my second favourite. Sorry Superion).

POTP Blackwing
Haven't tried the combined mode yet, so no idea if that's as rickety and rubbish as you guys mentioned, but on his own merits I like him a lot more than Dreadwind. The mold has no surprises, but the new head, the two pistols and funky colours make him an unexpected hit. It's just a shame that the mold is absolutely knackered from overuse - he's loose as hell and his rubber fins (on mine) are warped beyond recovery. Is it just extensive mold reuse or is it the materials that conspire to make recent shared body Transformers wibbly messes?

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-07, 04:56 PM   #6110
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

Studio Series Blackout - Bought him at about 15% off during Toys 'R' Us' closing down sale.

Titans Return Seaspray and Cosmos - Finally bought these two after not finding them locally last year, only to find them finally stocked and on clearance at $5! Kind of annoying really.

Destruction is my specialty

Last edited by HeavyArms; 2018-07-07 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Added two items.
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-08, 02:56 PM   #6111
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Transformers Platinum Edition Breakout Battle
I've had this box set for a while and only just got around to opening it up! I never knew this existed until last month. Probably because it hit around the time Hasbro were flinging out Platinum box sets like there was no tomorrow. Essentially money for old rope, what you get is Vehicon (a nice redeco of the DOTM Crankcase figure with remoulded, rather than snipped fingers), Rollbar - a redeco of the T30 Skids figure done up as the rally car Shane drove and Optimus Prime - a redco of the Evasion mode Prime in a screen accurate deco (after Kade had cleaned him up a bit). It's a really neat set and I like the packaging which features Prime coming out of the barn where he was hiding. The three figures are all neat, although as ever, the non-movie figure included in the set does stick out a bit. I can see why everyone loves Evasion mode Prime - he's a fantastic figure and probably the best version of Movie Prime. I love his bad ass shot gun and the rusted up tan/ white/ brown paint job is awesome. Vehicon is excellent - but then, I always like the Crankcase mold. This is livened up by the inclusion of some blue plastics and some neat silver paint apps. Looks excellent. Had a bit of a time transforming him though - his dreadlocks just don't want to tuck away. Rollbar is good fun, but I find his shoulders are super restrictive. They seem to be too tight to the torso and just clash with the doors/ windows/ roof on his back, which negates some of his fun factor. Overall though, a fun themed set and worth picking up

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-08, 10:17 PM   #6112
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

NuRiD Activator Combiner Soundwave & Laserbeak - This is a mincon-activated gimmick, like toys from back when minicons were a thing. US$20 isn't too bad for a figure slightly larger than a Deluxe/Warrior and minicon.

Laserbeak transfroms from a bird to a gun. There's some auto transforming, where pulling out the tail flips the gun barrels around and retracts the head. The tail then becomes the handle, and the wings fold up. The wings fold more than shown in the box art or instructions, making for a gun with a triangular cross section.

Soundwave has a neck swivel, elbow hings, and shoulder hinges that allow him to make a T-shape. Using a shoulder hinge and elbow joint puts his arm in position for Laserbeak to sit there. But, Laserbeak doesn't attach, he just balances/leans on Soundwave's shoulder cannons.

Alt mode Soundwave is a decent representation of his cartoon look. The grill is not formed from the chest; only the chest is painted black, leaving the grill blue. Plugging Laserbeak into the top deploys two sets of cannons. Pushing Soundwave along the ground causes those cannons to oscillate forward and backward. When the cannon aren't deployed, they don't contact the oscillation mechanism, and he rolls normally.

I'm liking Overlord a lot more than I thought I would. I neutered the Titanmaster gimmick to use parts for SS Thundercracker. I thought about using a couple Primemasters with him, storing them in the chest compartments in robot mode, and having one pilot each vehicle. The I realized I don't actually want to fiddle with a couple little bots everytime I transform Overlord. I'm happier just transfroming a big bot quickly.

Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-10, 12:51 PM   #6113
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Finally decided to take the plunge and got POTP Slag and Swoop. And I do have to say, they’re pretty good. My only real complaint is that they just don’t look bulky enough to be Dinobots.

They do go oddly well with FoC Grimlock, though.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-12, 06:03 PM   #6114
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

The original cartoon soundtrack on LP! The more recent reissue rather than the one that sold out almost at once. Looks great, has just about everything on it (very skewered towards More Than Meets the Eye and Nightmare Planet, but 98% of the music from the show came from those two episodes anyway), only gets mildly confusing when you associate a bit of music with a different episode to that which the sleevenote has it down from.

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/...18106250153984

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-14, 07:01 PM   #6115
HeavyArms
Unicron

Victoria, Australia

Studio Series Crowbar - Bought during Big W's toy sale.

RID 2015 Galvatronus - Bought during Toys 'R' Us' closing down sale.

TR Gatorface & Decepticon Krok &
TR Chasm & Decepticon Quake - Both bought while on clearance at Big W for $10 each Cosmos & Seaspray were available at $5 a piece.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote