Disappearing Fan Sites

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
CAgent Ravage
Protoform

TF web pagees???

Post by CAgent Ravage »

I admit I am not on the boards all that much due to my life, plus it is hard to keep track of all the pages out there. I still do surf the web for info and multimedia. With that being said I recently found out what happened to seibertron.com. I wish seibertron well and we all look forward to his return. There is another development, perhaps I just have had bad timing but does ANYBODY know What happened to transformersource.net as I have not been able to access it. Between the tf web page attacks, the cease and dists orders etc, I hope that are great transfans pages are not all dying or being destroyed. In any event if someone would let me know whats going on these days with the oteher sites as well but Especially transformersource.net it would be greatly appreciated.:confused:
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Hasbro has sent a cease and desist letter to this site, stating that it has to remove eps, comic scans, and pictures. I would suspect that to be the problem with the other sites (except for seibertron, which is having legal issues that I'm not going to get into).

This is a poor marketing move for hasbro. A lot of these sites provide information for collectors that they wouldn't get anywhere else.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Is this a further example of Hasbro screwing the consumer? You're damn right it is. I'm sick to death with all the sh** we have to put up with from them. That international distribution crap; price-fixing; 'you shalt not' do this, that and the other; its really starting to annoy me.
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Computron

Post by Computron »

To be fair other than to stop the free distribution of the comics and episodes (both of which are being sold by other companies and so Hasbro has to keep tight possibly due to contractual agreements) Hasbro hasn't really carried on after the site (as in remove images, screen caps etc..)

Whilst I do get pissed off with international distribution that is more to do with the fact the USA generally get stuff before the UK and Europe and it is then normally a result that anyone who wants that product has imported it and the companies wonder why it then doesn't sell well in the UK
I support a ban on powerposting
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Your reasoning seems sound, Compy. Still, it does seem unfair....
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

To be honest I'm glad seibertron.com went down. Ryan Yzquierdo is a lying crook who stole thousands of dollars from good honest consumers, including myself. Seems now, however, that it's back up and running. I seriously hope that he gets prosecuted. :mad:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's back again, via donation. Of couse, if you have a decent net connection you can just stick Webreaper on, and loop the thing, doing your bit.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Quicksilver
if you have a decent net connection you can just stick Webreaper on, and loop the thing
Hmm... I've never looked at WR in that way before...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Interesting, isn't it? Well, spiteful anyway... the good thing about Cable is you can just minimise it and leave it run... and at the end of it you get about half-dozen decent screenshots, and you can bin the other couple of gigs...
CAgent Ravage
Protoform

Post by CAgent Ravage »

I remember the scourge (appropriatly fitting here) of the Star Trek sites that paramount did back in the 1990s. This sounds hauntingly & disturbingly familiar. I admit, with the fact the eps are coming available on DVD I would rather have good offical stable copies. though i wish they would move it faster for production. WHile tfarchive thankfully is still up and is thankfully mostly unaffected. Why would transformersource.net not be allowed to survive? Further I was unaware of any legal troubles seibertron.com had, thought the issues were purely financial. As long as offical full copies are out there to the fans is what is key. Without websites like this or transfandom or bigbot or seibertron.com it is us fans who kept transformers alive. In any event not to be able to use any images at all is in my opinion completely wrong. If it is just for fun, like banners or sounds clips etc, as long as a disclaimer is included. Unfortunatly I did not take US copyright law so i have no advice there. I hope that this site and otehrs like it continue forall time:) TIll all are one.
CAgent Ravage
Protoform

Post by CAgent Ravage »

are there any god multimedia sites left? Seems they aer all disappearing/dying. Some more for g1 though here and some others are quite good definitly looking for quality in that though always looking for more. That and quality multimedia BW esp & BM sites. If there is any more news esp with transformersource or if anyone heard what has or will happen to the tfvault.com
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by CAgent Ravage
Without websites like this or transfandom or bigbot or seibertron.com it is us fans who kept transformers alive.

Golly, two thieves in one sentence... Renaud and Ryan could go into business together... or fight it out in a cage for who's the biggest jackass...

Erm, no idea on transformersource.net - though it could be purely coincidental - itswalky.com isn't up right now and I'm 99% sure that Walky would have mentioned a C&D order on ATT in the related topics... and both seibertron.com and thetransformers.net went down briefly at around the same time, it would seem for unrelated reasons. Hasbro don't actually seem to be following through with anything major, as transfans.com, which has more comic material than this place did, is untouched, as is Steve Bax' site which features a considerable amount of comic scans... Mind, I expect any sites with downloadable episodes have removed them, and I know Senex Prime, Liam Kavanagh and Daff are removing scans as they're published in TPB form. Seibertron's scans don't appear to be working for the most part, though it looks like that's because of stupid gimmicks, as some of the early stuff does work...
Nissan_X_004
Protoform

And...

Post by Nissan_X_004 »

Hasbro has sent a cease and desist letter to this site, stating that it has to remove eps, comic scans, and pictures.

What would that help them for?? Any site can be shut down and reapper again with another name...
And if they are pissing just for the darn pictures, scans, or eps...that would not help them, there are too many places and Hasbro just can't stop all of them, besides, anyone can buy the episodes in VCDs, not just dvds...

I personally think Hasbro's procedure is useless, that doesn't really helps them.. what's their problem anyways? Many things that you can buy (toys), watch (eps) or read (comics) online were already taken out of Hasbro's production.. so what the hell is their problem? copyrights? :mad:
Without websites like this or transfandom or bigbot or seibertron.com it is us fans who kept transformers alive.

I agree, there will be fans over there anyways..
Will you ever imagine from where you are, being a Mexican crossing the border? Thinking about your family while you pass, leaving everything you know behind.
Will you continue saying "good for nothing, beaners" if you ever had to begin from zero? -- From Molotov's song "Frijolero"
Nosredna
Protoform

Post by Nosredna »

It simply comes down to money.

People downloading eps = less buying dvd's.

People downloading comics = less buying the reprints. (which are scarce already I know)

As for the rest, like screencaps and sound bytes, they are copyrighted material. Hasbro UNFORTUNATELY are within their rights to be doing this. It's happened with Star Trek, X-Files, Simpsons, and god only knows however many other fandoms.

In the end it sucks, no argument from me about that.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Nosredna
People downloading eps = less buying dvd's.

People downloading comics = less buying the reprints. (which are scarce already I know)
Speculation. Sales are only gained when people are convinced to spend money... and lo-fi versions of product are good advertising.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

It is just a matter of mins before you will be banned!

I am following you.

Edit 1: This was aimed at celebguy...who was spamming the board.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Gotta love the 'mass prune' option in the admin box...
Dinobot's Spark
Protoform

Post by Dinobot's Spark »

lots of sites, either TF ones or non-tf, are disappearing. Having a llllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg
downtime. As for transformersource.net, its back online but they are trying to fix it up completely.
"Tell my tale to those who ask tell it truly the ill deeds along with the good and let me be judge accordingly. The rest is silent"
Seibertron
Protoform

Post by Seibertron »

Originally posted by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
To be honest I'm glad seibertron.com went down. Ryan Yzquierdo is a lying crook who stole thousands of dollars from good honest consumers, including myself. Seems now, however, that it's back up and running. I seriously hope that he gets prosecuted. :mad:

I am not a lying crook ... I have just had a very difficult past 12 months in my life. It has been an unfortunate incident and I truly feel bad for this situation. However, I love this fandom too much and I will not turn my back on the situation. It will be resolved in due time.

I have restarted the refund process and have a list available at http://www.seibertron.com/infozone/store.php

From there you will be able to find a link to a message board topic where I am organizing this process.
Seibertron
Protoform

Post by Seibertron »

Originally posted by Quicksilver
Seibertron's scans don't appear to be working for the most part, though it looks like that's because of stupid gimmicks, as some of the early stuff does work... [/B]

The scans should all be working. If something is not working properly, please let me know and I'll correct it. Thanks.