Doctor Who: Time Crash, Voyage of the Damned and Season 4 Discussion

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Doctor
Protoform

Doctr Who season 4 [10th]

Post by Doctor »

When is it going to be aired?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Not fair, I was going to start the CIN/Christmas Special/Season 4 thread next week in anticipation of what is surely to be the best ever two Doctors story.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
inflatable dalek

OK, rather than start a new thread I'll put this in here- But if a kindly GD Mod could rename it something catchy like Doctor Who- Time Crash, Voyage of the Damned and Season 4 Discussion I will love you loooooooooooong time.

Tonight on Children In Need- most likely between 8 and 9 but that's "fluid"- we have the first screened product of the fourth production block, Time Crash, seeing pleasent open faced Peter Davision return to the role in the new series first multi-Doctor story.

Some fantatic facts:

As with Pudsey Cuttaway a few years ago it's "canon".

Stephen Moffett is writting.

it's the first time the 5th Doctor's worn a real stick of celery instead of a fake one. The costume combines the original season 19 one (jumper, shirt andf trousers) with the hat and coat from season 21 (I didn't even realise they changed the coat until someone posted direct comparision pictures on OG, this is a bit darker. Ironically the outfit was changed for his last year after original was given away on Children In Need and the other was ruined by water at the start of the season...). This fits with my "After Warriors of the Deep" theory. Horay!

Peter Davision is now to big to do up the coat.
takara_destron
Protoform

Post by takara_destron »

Time Crash was really enjoyable...don't think I've ever seen someone give Peter Davidson such a positive reception

Not too bothered about Voyage of the Damned (last xmas special did nothing for me) but they're always worth it for the next season previews....BRING ON THE SONTARANS :D

Recent Aquistions: Movie Voyager Autobot Ratchet, BW Transmetal II Megatron
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Watched this myself earlier and really enjoyed it.
I have seen almost none of the new Doctor Who since it restarted(don't worry I'm not some X_Factor addict or a Dancing on ice fan or any of the other stuff ITV1 always have opposite it I just have gigs starting at half 7 most Sat nights so always miss it) but on occasion (count them on one hand-one Eccleston and 3 Tennant at last count) I've really enjoyed it.
What I really liked was the fact it was a bit "knowing" and self aware-well and I remember Peter Davidsons stint as the Doctor from back in the day so you get that wee nostalgic thing.
Tennants Doctor had prior knowledge of his incarnation as Davidsons Doctor-Is this usual or are they self-contained??
Anyway as I said I liked the awareness-most British folk could identify the Doctor Who of their era giving them "their Doctor" and this was brought up at the end

Dalek(or anyone else who wants to reply)

Whos "your Doctor"

Hope i see the one with the Titanic
+++++SPOILERS++++++++
have I done that wrong??
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
takara_destron
Protoform

Post by takara_destron »

Originally posted by martyboy70
Whos "your Doctor"
[/B]

None of them really as I was born the year it was taken off the air
But, Jon Pertwee has probably always been my favourite

Recent Aquistions: Movie Voyager Autobot Ratchet, BW Transmetal II Megatron
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Quite like it. lots of fun. I still think The 7th Doc can appear realistically in the new series with no apparent change looking at the DVD commentaries which would be cool. A possibility for the 7th/8th/9th to appear realistically at some point. A shame we didn't see much of Davidson's Doc react to his 10th incarnation. Tennant seemed slightly too smug and knowing in the whole thing. Ive always felt that the Crosssover Docs should play on the fact each Doc only vaguely remembers older previous incarnations, much lime it's hard to remember you early childhood.

As a five minute clip, it was lots of fun anyway. And I like the explaination for the TARDISs console rooms change in appearence.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I thought it was great. Davison's tenure was far too short as the Doctor. And I loved the "Two Minutes to Belgium" line.

My Doctor is both Tom Baker and Peter Davison, because for the longest time, all the local PBS station had was them.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sorry, I thought it was a bit crap. Tennant in early OTT mode, and Davison was really over-mannered, like a cartoon of the 5th Doctor. The whole thing was smug and masturbatory, a fanzine rant dressed up as a script ("YOU WERE MY DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU YOU'RE BRILLIANT!!!!!"). The 'desktop theme' bit was cring-inducing, too. I'm guessing they spelt "Russell T. Davies" wrong on the credits or something. It was a nice idea, but it really was pretty irritating once you got past the "Yay! Peter Davison" bit. If Tennant's going back to cartoony "OH YES I LOVE IT!!!!!" spastickery, in addition to the thing having Tate in it, Season 4's going to be an absolute car crash.

Smooth retcon for the end of "The Sound of That Tosser Hamming It Up" too. If there was one bit of that brainfart that didn't need a rewrite, it was the last few seconds.

On the other hand, I weirdly dreamt last night the thing was an hour long, and the rest of it was good. Can't remember the details of my version, but it didn't involve Tennat going "AAAAAAH BURILLIUNT" every five seconds...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I was in the pub last night (yeah, I'm staying in on a Friday night solely for a five minute skit that'll be aired at who-knows-when... who knows when, dear FSM did I really just do that? Unintentional...)

I did however catch what I presume to have been the repeat (about quarter to one ish?), with the sound off. Shortly afterwards, a friend of mine came across and we had the following conversation:

He: "Oh, I missed Doctor Who. Was it good?"
Me: "Dunno. No sound. Uhm... some weird shaking of the Tardis, the Doctor splits in two... one of them's Peter Davison. They chat for a bit. No idea."
He: "Sounds rubbish."
Me: "Yeah, probably. Your round."
inflatable dalek

It was great. Complete fan masturbation (to the point you wonder how it went out on BBC1...) but fab. Though it was odd to hear Davision trying to do his high voice of twenty years ago (due to the script mentioning it) rather than his normal "smokes twenty a day" one he uses for the Big Finish stuff.

The only bit I didn't like was explaining why he looks older with a injoke. It didn't really need a mention at all considering they never bothered before in multi Doctor stories and that actors will often play twenty year younger versions of their characters with minimal make up anyway (hell, NuWho has done it before, no "Shorting the time differential" explanation for Jackie not looking 19 in Fathers Day...)

And God bless the 5th Doctor for knowing the super sonic screwdriver is a bad idea.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

It could just mean that Jackie's always looked like that.....

Ye Gods, what must Pete Tyler've been on. maybe he lost a bet or something.......
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hey, it's not just about looks, a girl's personality counts a lot towards her attractiveness.

Oh, right, yeh, must've been a bet.
inflatable dalek

For anyone who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I76p1cZbq4

I still think The 7th Doc can appear realistically in the new series with no apparent change looking at the DVD commentaries which would be cool.
looking at pics of him in King Lear all he needs is a dark wig to look exactly like he did in the TV Movie. But- whilst nothings impossible for a show that brought back the Macra- I'd say this is the last time we'll see any of the first seven on TV. If they ever do Time War flashbacks we might get McGann (if for no other reason than Eccles being even less likely to ever do it). I do like the idea of them getting round the problem of having to do one episode with the leads barely in it by doing a flashback episode showing a missing adventure for one of the others with a Tenth Doctor framing sequence though...

And as a fine example of fans seeing to much, the "No, no beard...well a wife" bit is being held up as proof the master is gay... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beard_%28f ... mpanion%29

And my Doctor was McCoy as a kid, though Davision just about ties with him as my favourite. I pretty much like all of them though, even my least favourite in Pertwee can still entertain in I'm in the right mood.

EDIT: And not only was it the most watched part on CIN with 10.9 million viewers, but once the video/DVDR ect stuff gets factored in it looks likely to be the highest rated bit of New Who to date.
BWW 2000
Protoform

Post by BWW 2000 »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Sorry, I thought it was a bit crap. Tennant in early OTT mode, and Davison was really over-mannered, like a cartoon of the 5th Doctor. The whole thing was smug and masturbatory, a fanzine rant dressed up as a script ("YOU WERE MY DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU YOU'RE BRILLIANT!!!!!"). The 'desktop theme' bit was cring-inducing, too. I'm guessing they spelt "Russell T. Davies" wrong on the credits or something. It was a nice idea, but it really was pretty irritating once you got past the "Yay! Peter Davison" bit. If Tennant's going back to cartoony "OH YES I LOVE IT!!!!!" spastickery, in addition to the thing having Tate in it, Season 4's going to be an absolute car crash.

Smooth retcon for the end of "The Sound of That Tosser Hamming It Up" too. If there was one bit of that brainfart that didn't need a rewrite, it was the last few seconds.

On the other hand, I weirdly dreamt last night the thing was an hour long, and the rest of it was good. Can't remember the details of my version, but it didn't involve Tennat going "AAAAAAH BURILLIUNT" every five seconds...

At last, someone who has a similar opinion of the whole thing to me...after reading the reaction at Outpost Gallifrey, I started to think that I was the only one who didn't find it all to be brilliant.
Tennant, I agree, was back in annoyingly OVERENTHUSIASTIC mode, Davison didn't get a chance to do anything (OK, so it was a 5 minute Children In Need clip, and was never going to have much of a plot, but he just appears in the TARDIS, says very little, and the 5th Doc learns that, one day, he too will be that annoying).
I also agree that the smugness was cloying: was it meant to be Moffatt, Tennant or the 10th Doctor who was almost declaring their love for the 5th Doctor? What must anyone who didn't watch Davison's episodes on transmission (or at least have seen a fair few on DVD) have made of that?
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Just watched it on youtube. It really was pure fanwank eh? That "You were my doctor" really was a step too far. Though I did like the line about trying to be old grumpy and important, as you do when you're young. All in all, not bad for a children in need special, not good for Who.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by BWW 2000
and the 5th Doc learns that, one day, he too will be that annoying).

More worryingly he learns he'll have a run in with the Master when he looks like tennant, meaning he's known all along he's not the last of the Time Lords and has been lying about it all this time.

Was anyone expecting the 5th Doctor to ber anything other than a bit of a charicature though? Considering both that returning Doctors have always been painted in the broadest possible terms even when they have up to two hours of screen time and that one of the big things that gave the 5th Doctor so much depth- the old man in a young mans body- is impossible to recreate now he's an old man in an old mans body (older than hartnell when he started now) I still thought he was bloody good. I loved how he gave Tennant the Adric treatment (in terms of frustration, not blowing him up).

I was in Cardiff today, the shop enterance to Torchwood is very well blended into the surroundings, nearly walked past it without realising (the new metal grating protecting from crazy fans gave it away).
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Well, that could explain why he seemed so upset when Martha told him about Yana's fob watch in Utopia.

Although it was technically true. Yana wasn't a Time Lord until he opened the watch.

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Davison managed to be fairly subtle in Dimensions... besides which, pointing out that returning Doctors have always been wankers hardly excuses the latest appearance following the model... "Oh, this year's subtle RTD satire on a genre of TV is shocking"/"Yeh, so were the last three, though"/"Good point, let's give it 10/10"... Mildly suprised the 10th Doctor didn't just get his knob out and start jerking off. When you start thinking of things like that as a saving grace for an episode, well...

TBH, it's hard to fault the team for doing a special episode for a charity, but as with the case of the last Tennant Ham-O-Rama, it's a shame they have to use the continuity at the same time. Do something that's meant to be pants, like Dimensions, and leave it to the fans to work out the details.

Davison's second only to McCoy in my affections too, but it doesn't really excuse the thing from being bad. It's pretty sad that the first time the guy didn't put in an excellent performance was for that one - it wouldn't surprise me if Davison was just embarrassed by the script. I mean, you would be, wouldn't you?

EDIT: And OPG are sheep who'll gobble down whatever garbage is shovelled into their trough. Fan opinion seems to be inverse to what it was in the 1980s - now everything current is lauded, and only later do people go back and say "Hang on..." (cf. the amount of people worshipping at Cakebastard's Northern feet on transmission who keep quiet about that whole fiasco now).