Are we all too old to still be here now?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Are we all too old to still be here now?

Post by Sades »

I was just wondering.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

No, I plan to stay a kid for the rest of my life. Being a responsible adult is only necessary when it's necessary...

Edit:No, I'm not too old for this place. I'll never be...
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

NOT ME, HAHAHAHAHAHA
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Nah, a lot of us here have been chatting online and off for around 10 years now. Even though I don't have so much to say about transformers these days this is a place frequented by people I care about and who care about me.

Although I did just miss a chance to quote Murtaugh....
ΩΩΩ

Post by ΩΩΩ »

All of us? No. Some of us? No.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I think you're cool, Anglo. :)

I dunno, was something I was thinking about last night. When I signed up, I had no idea I'd be here this long. I had no idea it'd be as big a part of my life as it has been, I've met a bunch of awesome people here, and I've known some of you peeps longer and better than I've known peeps in my real life. But I think I'm here mostly out of habit now. Still like Transformers, I still buy toys, and I'm gonna raid the shelf for cartoons I've not seen much of yet when the SO wanders off to work here in a few, but I tend to think all the discussion that could be discussed has been discussed. At least in regards to the stuff I've been interested in, which has mainly been some G1, Beast Wars and Beast Machines. Didn't go much beyond that, maybe RiD but it was mostly the toys in that case.

I think I said the same thing about three years ago, har. I'm not really looking for a definitive answer to the topic question... it was posted in the way a lot of my postings tend to be nowadays. Lazy and kinda stupid. :p But there was a bit of a thought process behind it.

edit: I missed an opportunity for a "you're old!" joke. Dammit!
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Don't worry Grandma, we'll ignore you're advancing years as age discrimination could get the site sued.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

You wait until you hit 30, you will creak in places you forgot existed.

Like the minute you refer to it or hear it mentioned. f'real homie.

edit: Your.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Sades wrote:You wait until you hit 30, you will creak in places you forgot existed.

Like the minute you refer to it or hear it mentioned. f'real homie.

edit: Your.
Silence, child! :P

As for 'too old to be here', I don't really think so. But there are definitely aspects of our little hobby which I know I'm too old for and now actively FEEL it. Toys are now decidedly in the past (with model kits being the exceptions), I've lost any taste for the comics and have no interest in Prime, for example. My age (40, as of today) is definitely a major factor in that.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Sades wrote:Like the minute you refer to it or hear it mentioned. f'real homie.
By "it", I meant Birfday. Grammar fail corrects spelling fail=win?

The only thing hampering my hobby interest toy/merchwise is lack of funds to put towards it, really. When I can buy stuff I like, I do.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Sades wrote:The only thing hampering my hobby interest toy/merchwise is lack of funds to put towards it, really. When I can buy stuff I like, I do.
I've hit the point where I may have the funds, but my interest has come a far distant second to "Well, I could get every last My Little Pony from this wave for my girls, or I could get that single Classics figure from two months ago. Let me think."

Even the new figures are just so ridiculously expensive ($7 for a Legends? Seriously?) that it's impossible to justify anymore. I could treat myself to a nice lunch someplace, get a good novel, get the newest Fallout DLC, or get a shitty version of a character I don't give rat's ass about from a movie that I didn't like in the first place.

Okay, so maybe it's not all age.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

I don't really feel it necessarily has anything to do with "too old". I've never felt that "growing up" meant you had to stop doing the things you enjoy. Quite the opposite, in fact....

The only thing that's really changed as I've gotten older is that I've recently decided to narrow my focus. Sold off 20-some-odd boxes of comics, opting to focus on actually collecting a few specific series (barring the occasional odd and end, like Nextwave), and am doing the same now with non-TF action figures. Fortunately, I have a saintly wife, who has always been fine with all of my interests.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Sades wrote:By "it", I meant Birfday. Grammar fail corrects spelling fail=win?
It's probably senility.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Dead Man Wade wrote:I don't really feel it necessarily has anything to do with "too old". I've never felt that "growing up" meant you had to stop doing the things you enjoy. Quite the opposite, in fact....
It's not so much that I'm giving things up due to mere age, and my wife has been pretty willing to accept my idiosyncrasies. It's just more that my priorities and, to a lesser extent, my tastes have changed. After nearly 30 years of this hobby, though, that's not really THAT surprising, is it?
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

TFVanguard wrote:It's not so much that I'm giving things up due to mere age
Didn't say that it was. Post wasn't directed at you, so much as responding to the initial question.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Didn't say that it was. Post wasn't directed at you, so much as responding to the initial question.
Just felt the need to clarify myself. :)
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Maybe, but I also feel too young to be anywhere else. Spending more time lurking seems to be my natural progression.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

At 20 I feel like a wee baby even though I have been coming here a few years. For the most part I look at you all as almost wise elders whos posts show me what to expect when I become a "real" adult. (I'm almost there, I have a house!)
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

With the impending arrival of my first kid, some things have been put into perspective. I do feel like I'm growing up a little....

Then I realized I just ordered $50 worth of Gundams from HLJ, to go with the 150+ I already have, I have a Brave Max sitting on the Printer beside me and I'm going to a M:TG tournament tomorrow...

So no, deffinatly not too old to be here ^^
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Actually, as I "grow up" (family, real work, etc.), I find Transformers to be a more important escape for me, and TFArchive has become part of that. My TF collecting is a hobby that I can use as a diversion, and most people in my congregations find it endearing (if not a bit excessive), and that's always a plus.
They aren't the center of my life by any means, but I find that they're actually a bigger part than they used to be.