Here's a question bouncing around Hollywood these days...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

Does Andy Serkis deserve a "Best Supporting Actor" Acadamy Award nomination for TTT?

Hell yeah! Just because he was a CG character doesn't mean he's not cool!
65%
Jar Jar Binks ruined CG characters for me, so hell no!
9%
I have no strong feelings one way or the other[/Neutral President]
9%
Hey! A poll! *powerposts*
17%

Total votes: 23

Bombshell

Here's a question bouncing around Hollywood these days...

Post by Bombshell »

Well? Should he?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

He just wasn't that good...a lot of what impressed me about Gollum was CGI. The eyes, mostly.
He should be eligable, but he most certainly shouldn't get a nomination.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

If he isn't eligible, he should get a special recognition award... The guy would teach Welker a few tricks... the schizo conversations ["Go... away... and... never... come... back!"] are some of the most gripping scenes in the film...
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

I have not seen TTT yet so I must say: No Comment
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Andy Serkis did an amazing job, but the people who created the CGI effects should be given just as much credit. If he were nominated, I think the creating team should also be nominated along with him.
mkay0
Protoform

Post by mkay0 »

Originally posted by Quicksilver
If he isn't eligible, he should get a special recognition award... The guy would teach Welker a few tricks... the schizo conversations ["Go... away... and... never... come... back!"] are some of the most gripping scenes in the film...

Indeed. Entertainment Weekly did a column on the same topic and came to the same conclusion.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Yeah, he really did an amazing job.
Lord Zarak

Post by Lord Zarak »

Hell yeah! He was also Martin Hannett in 24 Hour Party People.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Yep certainly. Gollum was the best CGI character I've seen in years. What impressed me was the way that both the actor and animators worked together so well to make him. The schizo conversations rocked, as did the funny bits: 'I'm not listening!'

Lord of the Rings is a work of genius, and he certainly helped to make it that way.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
nmathew
Protoform

Post by nmathew »

Well, the guy wore a suit, actually did the motions of Gollum himself, and did the voice. So they heavily altered his appearance after shooting with a computer...

He was possibly the best part of T^3. I say yes.

Warcry, why shouldn't he get a nomination?
--nmathew

G91 says I'm now part of the old guard.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

See, drawing on what nmat said, he's basically the modern equivalent of, say, Hurt in The Elephant Man, but instead of piles of latex there's CGI [Hurt, incidentally, was nominated for Best actor but lost to some **** like Robert Redford, which is close to conclusive proof that most of the time the Academy really don't know what they're doing... The habit of rewarding big-tme earners who never got (deserved?) an Oscar is a frankly daft idea - John Wayne winning one's a prime example, and more recently Judi Dench winning (was it Shakespeare in Love?) in recognition of Mrs Brown was rather daft... so she won a Best Supporting Actress award for her lead role in a film the year before? What's the point in that?]... Serkis should be eligible for a nomination, it's his voice and nuances - close to everything but his face, as as I've said, people have been nominated in the past without their faces being at all visible [I can't think of too many prominent examples, and have to much uni work at the mo to scroll through a list of past nominees and pick them out, but the aforementioned example of Hurt is as good as any I'll be able to pick out], but whether the Academy will give him the award will sdly be another matter...
Starscreamer
Protoform

Post by Starscreamer »

Yes but would Frank Oz as Yoda also be allowed?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I can't actually remember how Yoda ws acheived, but I don't think he had any of the actor's nuances etc., just the voice over, so I'd say 'no' but with a small 'n' meaning I'd be repared to listne to a case for this. What I'd say No to would be something like James Earl Jones for Darth Vader, because a lot of the work for Vader was done by Dave Prowse...