NHL Play-off Time!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Blaster

NHL Play-off Time!

Post by Blaster »

Here's my original predictions... I feel I was wrong on some but oh so right on others.

Eastern Conference

1. Montreal
2. NYR
3. Washington
4. Boston
5. Pittsburgh
6. Philadelphia
7. New Jersey
8. Ottawa

9. Carolina
10. Buffalo
11. Toronto
12. NYI
13. Tampa Bay
14. Florida:
15. Atlanta

Western Conference

1. Detroit
2. San Jose
3. Randomly pick one of Calgary or Vancouver
4. Dallas
5. Anaheim
6. Randomly pick one of the OTHER Canadian Northwest teams.
7. Chicago
8./9. Phoenix/Columbus

10. Edmonton
11. Nashville
12. Colorado
13. Minnesota
14. St.Louis
15. Los Angeles

My Playoff match-ups:

Montreal Vs Ottawa
NYR Vs New Jersey
Washington Vs Philadelphia
Boston Vs Pittsburgh

Detroit Vs Columbus/Phoenix
San Jose Vs Chicago
Vancouver/Calgary Vs Vancouver/Calgary
Dallas Vs Anaheim

And What we ended up with

Eastern Conference
1. Boston
2. Washington
3. New Jersey
4. Pittsburgh
5. Philadelphia
6. Carolina
7. New York Rangers
8. Montreal

9. Florida
10. Buffalo
11. Ottawa
12. Toronto
13. Atlanta
14. Tampa Bay
15. New York Islanders

Western Conference
1. San Jose
2. Detroit
3. Vancouver
4. Chicago
5. Calgary
6. St. Louis
7. Columbus
8. Anaheim

9. Minnesota
10. Nashville
11. Edmonton
12. Dallas
13. Phoenix
14. Los Angeles
15. Colorado

First Round Play-off Matches

Eastern Conference

1. Boston Vs 8. Montreal:
If this is any other team. Boston in 4, maybe 5. But this isn't any other team. This is Montreal. Lets take a look at the recent Montreal/Boston play-off history, shall we? Since 2002, the Bruins and Canadiens have met three times in the play-offs and the series has gone the distance twice. In 2002 Boston was 1st in the East and 2nd in the NHL. Montreal won the series in 6 with Jose Theodore looking like he would never look again.

Next up, in 04 Boston comes into the play-offs again 1st in the East and again second in the NHL and they are against the Montreal Canadiens, who if I recall made it into the play-offs on the last day of the season. What's the out-come? Montreal wins it in game seven. The next time Hockey would be played, Joe Thornton would be sent to San Jose.

Finally last year. Montreal is the hands-down favorite in the East. Their power-play is unstoppable, their goaltending with young prodigy Carey Price looks amazing and they have a team, the Boston Bruins, that really was unimpressive with erratic goalies and streaky scoring and ontop of that was something like 0 for 10 in their last ten meetings with the Canadiens. What happens? Boston takes it to the seventh game when they weren't supposed to get out of four.

What I am saying is don't rule Montreal out, infact maybe even put some money down on les Habitants. With these two teams, the regular season just doesn't matter.

MY PREDICTION: CANADIENS IN 7
ACTUAL: BOSTON DEF. MONTREAL 4 - 0

2. Washington Vs 7. New York:
You have to think that the way this played out was probably the worst case scenario for Boston and Washington. The one thing that Washington cannot let this series become is a goaltender duel. If it does they're toast. Last year they had a better team than Philly, but it because a goaltender duel, and they lost. Huet was better than Theodore. It gets worse! Lundqvist is better than Biron. If Lundqvist plays like Lundqvist has and NYR keeps buying into Torts' system, I get the feeling this won't be Ovechkin's year to go to round two.

MY PREDICTION: RANGERS IN 6
ACTUAL: WASHINGTON DEF. NEW YORK 4 - 3

3. New Jersey Vs. 6 Carolina:
Brodeur. Doesn't matter what happened to him last year, doesn't matter that he was hurt, it doesn't matter what their record was against this team. If he is healthy, I don't put any money on Carolina. I don't expect them to go down easy but I do expect them to go down here. Simply, Brodeur.

MY PREDICTION: NEW JERSEY IN 6
ACTUAL: CAROLINA DEF. NEW JERSEY 4 - 3

4. Pittsburgh Vs 5. Philadelphia:
This is by far the hardest series to call. Both teams have had ups and downs. Both have looked amazing, and then looked terrible. What this is going to come down too is goaltending and special teams. Will Biron show up? How will the Pittsburgh power-play go? So many questions! So hard to pick!

MY PREDICTION: PITTSBURGH IN 7
ACTUAL: PITTSBURGH DEF. PHILADELPHIA 4 - 2

Western Conference

1. San Jose Vs. 8. Anaheim:
San Jose should win this, but much like last year they will find a team that will be very physical and has a goalie to take a win from the Sharks and prolong or even win the series. Giguere is nothing if not a proven play-off performer. He won the Conn Smythe on a losing team and carried them to a Cup a few years later. If he were ever to turn it up, it'll be now. San Jose should win, but it won't be the fun romp it would have been on Columbus or St.Louis

MY PREDICTION: SAN JOSE IN 7
ACTUAL: ANAHEIM DEF. SAN JOSE 4 - 2

2. Detroit Vs. Columbus:
Jesus, you almost feel bad for Detroit. They may actually have the second worst goaltending on paper going into this. So who do they go up against? The NHL shut-out leader and freak of nature who got some of those shut-outs while playing the game with MONO. ****ING MONO. Have you ever had mono? How did that feel? Did you get out of bed? I didn't. Now it is his first appearance in the play-offs and as Price showed last year, young and lights out in the regular season doesn't matter in the play-offs. But, if there were ever a team I'd want to play against as the under-dog, Detroit is it. Look back at all those first round losses and scares to teams they should beat. I say Detroit wins, but Columbus has a fighting chance.

MY PREDICTION: DETROIT IN 6
ACTUAL: DETROIT DEF. COLUMBUS 4 - 0

3. Vancouver Vs. 6. St.Louis:
Two teams that, just before the Trade Deadline, were outside the play-offs looking in. Vancouver was 13 points back of an impressive looking Calgary team and St.Louis looked like they were ready to pack it in, even having trades for their aging vets lined up. Fast forward to today, and with wins over Colorado by both teams, they secured positions that looked nearly unattainable, Vancouver winning the Northwest Division and St.Louis moving up in and around 6 spots to 6th over all. How does this series stack up? Both teams have been hot, but Vancouver more-so, since January 31st the Canucks went 23 - 7 - 2.
St.Louis was 21 - 7 - 6. If the Canucks PK can play as well as it did in the last month, then St.Louis might be in trouble since the one advantage they have is their PP. Everything else looks to be in Vancouver's favor, especially Roberto Luongo.

MY PREDICTION: VANCOUVER IS 6
ACTUAL: VANCOUVER DEF. ST.LOUIS 4 - 0

4. Chicago Vs. 5. Calgary:
Two teams going the opposite way of the ones above. Since about the trade deadline these teams have been at best .500 teams. You could even make the case they've been below .500. Calgary pissed away a 13 point division lead, Kipprusoff looked terrible and after coming out gang-busters when he first arrived Olli Jokinen has 3 points in his last 10 and it gets even worse if you go back further. Add all that to the rash of injuries Calgary is dealing with and things can't get worse... can they? Wrong. Look at Nikolai Khabibulin's record against the Flames and it gets worse. The one upside the Flames have is the inexperienced leaders of Chicago, but with the way they've played unless there is a huge turn around, I don't like the Flames' chances

MY PREDICTION: CHICAGO IN 6
ACTUAL: CHICAGO DEF. CALGARY 4 - 2
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Hound

Post by Hound »

Eastern Conference

1. Boston Vs 8. Montreal: This could probably be the best series we'll see in the playoffs. It'll certainly be the best in the first round. This goes seven games. If it doesn't I'll be extremely surprised. I haven't seen two teams play eachother with this much passion since the Colorado/Detroit matchups of old. I can't wait to see this.

I have no prediction, too close to call.

2. Washington Vs 7. New York: Washington will win this. Only because I want them to. Just because Avery is a dick.

3. New Jersey Vs. 6 Carolina: Brodeur wins, maybe in 4.

4. Pittsburgh Vs 5. Philadelphia: This is the other best series in the first round. I'd like to see Pittsburgh win, but I'd also not like to see my Devils have to face them at any time in the playoffs.

Too close to call.

Western Conference

1. San Jose Vs. 8. Anaheim: San Jose should win this. The goalies are even, San Jose has more offense and solid defense.

2. Detroit Vs. Columbus: There would be nothing I would like more than for Columbus to upset Detroit but there's no way...

3. Vancouver Vs. 6. St.Louis: Vancouver might sweep this. I know that St. Louis played there asses off too this last part of the season but Vancouver might be the most improved team in the NHL since the trade deadline.

4. Chicago Vs. 5. Calgary: Did you see the Blackhawks versus Detroit? They're going to walk right over Calgary. If they don't I'll cry. I love this team.

Ok so my picks aren't exactly objective, most are picked from the heart. I'll just see how I do...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Hound wrote:
4. Chicago Vs. 5. Calgary: Did you see the Blackhawks versus Detroit? They're going to walk right over Calgary. If they don't I'll cry. I love this team.
The Detroit team that had nothing to play for? Really? Calgary will have problems, but Chicago isn't that good.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Boston/Montreal: I've seen a lot of overconfident Habs fans predicting an upset based on the overwhelming playoff history between these two teams (24-7 Habs in terms of series wins), and a lot of Bruins fans getting cocky and saying they'll sweep the Habs without breaking a sweat. I don't think this series is going to be an easy win for either team. Even though Boston has performed better in pretty much every category that matters, the Habs have a lot of good players and they're not going to roll over.

The pressure of expectations for the 100th season has been weighing them down all year. Montreal entered the year with their fans expecting a championship, and the whole team has been savaged by fans and media because they haven't looked like a championship team. Some players thrive under that kind of pressure. Others fall apart. So far, the Habs seem have more people who fall into the second category, and the pressure is only going to ramp up now that the playoffs have started.

Bruins in six.

Washington/New York: If the Capitals had a real goalie this wouldn't even be a contest, but they don't and it will be. The Caps finished third in goals for this year, while the Rangers are the lowest-scoring team in the playoffs. On the other hand, the Rangers have an actual defence (as opposed to one superstar and five AHLers) and an elite goalie. There will be other factors in play, but if Ovechkin and co. can get the best of Lundqvist, they'll take this one.

Caps in seven.

New Jersey/Carolina: Brodeur is awesome and the Devils have a solid roster full of reliable players and an emerging star in Zach Parise. The 'Canes have talent of their own and a solid goalie in the form of Cam Ward, but they just can't match what the Devils bring to the table. New Jersey's best players are simply better than Carolina's, and the Devils have more depth at every position. Plus, there's something to be said for a team that can amass 51 wins in a season where their #3 goalie sees action in more games than the two guys ahead of him on the depth chart. The 'Canes will put up a fight, but they're out of their depth here.

Devils in five.

Pittsburgh/Philadelphia: The Penguins are on an absolute tear, with two out of the top three forwards in the league producing reliably for them every game. If Malkin and/or Crosby hit a cold streak things could get dicey for them, but after adding some depth in the last few months (and getting Gonchar back) the Pens have moved away from being a two-man band. The Flyers have a solid roster of their own -- Richards and Carter aren't in the same superstar category as Malkin and Crosby, but they probably have a better supporting cast around them. Both teams have seen their share of shaky goaltending, which could make this a scary series for either team's die-hard fans. For the rest of us, though, it'll be a fun series to watch.

Pens in six.

Er...Western Conference predictions to come tomorrow, when I'm less tired and a bit less overwhelmed with shame at my team's last-place finish in the conference.

[EDIT]

San Jose Vs. Anaheim: On paper this shouldn't even be a contest. The Sharks were among the league's elite from basically wire to wire, and the Ducks squeaked into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth. And while the Ducks have a talented roster with lots of depth, the Sharks are as good or better than them at every position.

But you have to weigh that against the two squads' past performances. The Sharks have been among the league's elite since before the lockout, but come playoff time they've underperformed. The Ducks, on the other hand...the Ducks are the sort of team that tend to punch above their weight in the post-season. Add to that the rivalry that seems to exist between these two teams, and I think we're in for a very interesting series.

Ducks in seven.

Detroit Vs. Columbus: Good on the Blue Jackets for gutting it out and securing their first playoff birth ever, but if the Red Wings show up they'll take this series easily. That's a big 'if', though. Detroit's goalies have been streaky all year, and the franchise has been knocked out of the playoffs by vastly inferior teams more than once in recent memory. Were those losses down to cockiness, or was it because the Wings have so often been the oldest team in the NHL and found themselves worn out by the time the regular season came to a close? Who knows? But just like the Ducks in '03, the Flames in '04 and the Oilers in '06, the Wings should be able to carry this one with relative ease.

'Should' being the operative word.

Columbus in six.

Vancouver Vs. St.Louis: Around Christmastime you would have been hard-pressed to convince me that either of these teams would be making the playoffs, let along both of them. But like they say, that's why we play 82 games in a season. The Blues and the Canucks are entering this series as the two hottest teams in the conference, and this promises to be one of the more entertaining series in the first round.

On forward and defence there's not much to choose from between the two teams, but injuries on the Blues' side of the ledger give the edge to the Canucks. Between the pipes it's less an edge than it is a gaping chasm: the Canucks' starter would be the face of the franchise wherever he was playing, and their backup is an experienced starter in his own right. No disrespect to Chris Mason, who is having a solid year as a starter, but he's a 30-something career backup and Luongo is a veritable superstar.

Vancouver in five.

Chicago Vs. Calgary: Honestly? Shit, I've got nothing. Both of these teams are coming off of downward skids, they've both seen spotty goaltending recently and neither one has shown the sort of mental toughness that you see in a championship-calibre team. In fact, if they hadn't drawn each other I would have chosen both of these teams to be first-round exits.

But they did, so I can't. Now, the Hawks seemed to be pulling out of their slide as the regular season came to a close and had been playing very well. The Flames, not so much. On the other hand, the Flames are a veteran team who have seen more than their share of adversity in the past. The Hawks, meanwhile, are a young team on the rise and most of their key players haven't seen significant post-season time yet. Next year the result may be different, but I think the Flames have the edge this time around.

Calgary in seven.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Wish I could have posted my picks before the playoffs started, but was way too busy last few days. I'll post them later tonight if I'm not too drunk after the Canucks game.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Vancouver Canucks are the first team to advance, completing their first best-of-seven sweep in franchise history over the St.Louis Blues.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Holy shit I called that. Awesome!
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Go with the underdog, and sometimes you look like a genius. Most time you have egg on your face.

Bruins complete the sweep of Montreal. Have to imagine that's it for Gainey, and I doubt Price will want to stick around judging by his "Roy moment".

Washington looks about done too.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'm hoping to see Washington fight back a bit before going out. Hopefully we'll see a game 6 if not a game 7.

I'm really disappointed in Montreal, really let down by that whole series.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Detroit makes Columbus' first ever trip to the post-season a quick one.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Finally thought I'd weigh in on this. I'm a Michigan native and Redwings fan, though I currently reside in Ohio. I was glad to see the Wings pretty much dominate the Columbus series, as Osgood has had a less than stellar year (mostly due to injury). Sometimes it's a crap shoot on which Redwings team shows up.

For the rest of the first round:

Boston takes Montreal in 4. Even though there was a massive difference in seeding, I was sure the rivalry would make this one a little closer. I guess I was wrong.

NY vs. Washington: Thought this was was easily the Caps, but NY is showing some real grit, and when your team only has Ovechkin and he's somewhat cold, there's not much that can be done.

Hurricanes vs. Devils: Good matchup, and a close one at that. I'd prefer to see NJ take this one. Not a fan of Carolina.

Penguins vs. Flyers: I'd bet the Pens take this one. They simply have the better team.

Ducks vs. Sharks: Completely surprised by this one. I thought San Jose would crush Anaheim, and it's turned out better than I thought. Initially I thought that the Sharks were the only team that really posed a threat to Detroit, but hopefully I won't have to worry about that.

Canucks vs. Blues: Not surprised that Vancouver took it in 4, but now my relief at San Jose potentially losing has been filled with fear of a good Vancouver team. My Wings may have a real tough road ahead.

Flames vs. Blackhawks: I really hope the 'Hawks win. It's tied currently, but I like Chicago better as a team. Plus I severely dislike Kipprusov and Iginla.

Well, there it is. Probably not as in depth as a lot of you with hockey analysis, but I'm a fan. It's really the only sport I can watch on TV (outside of football) and get incredibly excited.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

ganon578 wrote:
NY vs. Washington: Thought this was was easily the Caps, but NY is showing some real grit, and when your team only has Ovechkin and he's somewhat cold, there's not much that can be done.
Backstrom, Semin, Green, Kozlov, Federov

Edit- Well the battle of Pennsylvania has taken its casualty, and much like last year the Flyers had no answer for Crosby or Malkin.

Last year they had goaltending and couldn't do it, so I don't think this year should be a surprise when their goaltending was sub bar.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

You have to imagine we're going to see some major turn over in San Jose and Calgary. The West is now set for round two.

Detroit and Anaheim
Vancouver and Chicago.

I'll do a little write-up tomorrow after the East concludes.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I think Anaheim could beat the Red Wings and I desperately hope they do but it would take 7 games and a miracle out of a rookie goalie.

I want Chicago to beat Vancouver bad. That's not going to happen though. Vancouver could sweep this one too.

If New Jersey doesn't win tonight I'm going to cry.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Blaster wrote:Backstrom, Semin, Green, Kozlov, Federov
Touche.
Hound wrote:I think Anaheim could beat the Red Wings and I desperately hope they do but it would take 7 games and a miracle out of a rookie goalie.
Never!
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

ROUND 2

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

1. BOSTON VS 6. CAROLINA:

This will be a great series. GREAT. Cam Ward looks as good, if not better than the year he won the Conn Smythe, TimmyTom has to be the vezina favorite and has played out-of-his-body-good all year. Boston has the edge in size, and over-all depth, but to me the biggest upset of these play-offs so far is Carolina over New Jersey. I think in the end, the size and toughness of the Bruins is probably going to be too tough for the 'Canes, but I think Ward and timely scoring can steal a game or two.

MY PREDICTION: BOSTON IN 6

2. WASHINGTON VS. 4. PITTSBURGH

This has to be the most exciting series for the NHL. Outside of a Detroit-NYR final, this has to be near the top of their wish list. The Next One, Sidney Crosby against The Russian Rocket V2 (I know OV and Pavel are totally different but really, work with me here). Their two best marketing tools, head-to-head and you better believe this series is about those two. All the things Semin said about Crosby early in the season; the bad blood that brewed between the two superstars over the season. That being said, Washington had a hard time against a very weak New York team (not surprised) while Pittsburgh had little to no trouble with Philly. I think the only advantage Washington has going into this... is... well nothing. I actually think Washington may get swept here. Pittsburgh's depth is better, their goalie is better (usually >.>) and their defence is better. Outside of Green can you name a Caps defender without looking? I got Tom Poti, and he's had a terrible year. I think Sidney proves once again he is the better overall NHL player. Ovechkin scores some nice goals, and throws some dirty hits but he isn't and never will be the complete package Sidney is. Ovechkin makes himself look good, Sidney makes everyone around him look good (Sup Kunitz and Guerin.)
MY PREDICTION: PITTSBURGH IN 5

WESTERN CONFERENCE

2. DETROIT VS 8. ANAHEIM

Well, every year there seems to be a giant killer. Calgary, Edmonton, Anaheim previously. A team that against all odds rises up and takes out the top teams to everyone's shock and surprise. And guess what, this Anaheim team isn't it. Fact is, not many people are too shocked about San Jose biting it to this team. This team is probably one of the best 8th seed teams to ever exist. They were far better than Columbus and St.Louis (you could make a case for Calgary too), and got unlucky to not be in that position. Detroit is, well Detroit. As far as I am concerned the road to the cup goes through Detroit, the team that beats them will hoist the cup at years end, if anyone can. Anaheim will make this close, but these aren't the San Jose Chokes. Anaheim's road to victory lies in laying the big hits and Hiller playing even better than he did in San Jose, and that is saying something because he was great. How do I see this going down?

PREDICTION: DETROIT IN 6

3. VANCOUVER VS 4. CHICAGO

HAIR PULLING! No seriously, this series is much like the St.Louis series, the only difference is one team got the job done against a weaker opponent, and another showed some problems in dealing with a badly injured opponent. Chicago is also apparently hurting, both Toews and Kane suffering from ailments. Couple that at with Vancouver having almost two weeks off and Chicago only getting two days and this series could get ugly. Now, that being said, Chicago is a much better team than St.Louis, the Canucks will not be able to hand out 5-on-3s like candy on halloween like they did with St.Louis, that said Chicago cannot be as loosey-goosey in their own end as they were with Calgary. Another thing, is while Khabibulin has a near perfect record against Calgary, he has not won a game in Vancouver since 1998 and has something like three or four wins life time against Free Willy. Oh and Luongo. I think if Chicago can earn a split in Vancouver their chances go up, but if they go home down two games to none we may see another quick series.

MY PREDICTION: VANCOUVER IN 6
Hound

Post by Hound »

I am soooo pissed.

Anyway, I hope Boston destroys Carolina, I hope it's embarrassing.

Pittsburgh should beat Washington easily. It'll be a fun series to watch though.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

BOSTON VS CAROLINA
On paper, this should be a stomping on the same level as the Bruins/Habs series. The Bruins have more talent and more depth at every position on the ice than the Canes, and should be able to walk away with this one easily. But Cam Ward is on fire and the rest of his team is on a tear, so I don't expect Carolina to just roll over. But as much of a fight as they'll put up, I still expect the Bruins to beat them in convincing fashion.

Boston in six.

WASHINGTON VS. PITTSBURGH

This is the marquee matchup of the second round, and I suspect it's one that the league office was hoping to see this year. Not only is it a showdown between some of the best young players in the game, but it's a clash between two very different styles. Malkin and Crosby are fantastic players, but neither one exactly oozes charisma -- while Ovechkin and his cronies have so much personality that it's practically obnoxious. It's polarized hockey fans more than anything I've seen in a while, and that can only be a good thing.

Honestly I don't see much to pick from between these two teams. They're both build around two excellent forwards and one very good D-man, with secondary players who compliment the stars' abilities. Goaltending is the big question here. Fleury isn't among the best in the game, but he's proven and solid. None of the Caps' options in net can say that, and although Varlamov looks to have a lot of upside, he's still young and inexperienced.

Pens in six.

DETROIT VS ANAHEIM

Abject hatred for the Wings aside, they're a solid team on every front except in net, where Chris Osgood is impossible to predict from one game to the next. He's hot for now, but will it last? The Ducks, on the other hand, are one of the more consistent teams in the league. They're always tough to play against, can't be worn down and never give up, even when they're outclassed in paper. And even though we're talking about the second and eighth seeds, the talent gulf isn't that wide. The Ducks not only matched everything the Sharks had to throw at them, they looked like the better team most of the time.

No one is going to have an easy time of this series, and in the end I think the team with the most endurance will win this one. The series is likely to turn into a war of attrition, and it's the Ducks, not the Wings, who are the experts at that.

Ducks in seven.

VANCOUVER VS CHICAGO

On paper this should be a close series. But on the ice...well, not so much. The Hawks had their hands full with a mediocre, struggling, injury-riddled Flames squad and they'll have to step it up a couple notches if they expect to have a chance in hell of getting through a much better Vancouver team who've been consistently playing at the top of their game for the last two or three months. If the Hawks can pick things up and start playing the way they played earlier in the year...well, even then I don't rate their chances, but at least they'd make a series out of it. And that, coming from someone who's cheering for the Hawks.

Canucks in five.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Ok, so if all goes as expected we're looking at Boston and Pittsburgh in the conference final. That, to me, will be an amazing series.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Ah, I despise Anaheim. Just one of those teams I hate seeing Detroit play. But on the brighter side of things, the Wings played like absolute crap throughout 90% of the game, and the Ducks were playing one of their best games. And it still went to 3 OT's. I think if Detroit actually shows up, Anaheim is done. No reason for Emilio Estevez fans to get excited.

As for the Pens and Caps, I really thought this would go the other way, but Washington has shown up to play, and I don't think Malkin has even gotten off the bus yet. Seriously? Is this guy ever going to do anything in the playoffs? He plays great all season long, and when the Pens need him the most, he does nothing. Stanley Cup finals last year? Non-existent. Trying to survive against Washington? So far, non-existent.

Vancouver vs. Chicago? Surprised that the Hawks dominated in Vancouver last game. Didn't see that one coming. Here's to Chicago!

Bruins vs. Carolina? Also, another one that caught me off guard. The 'Canes winning in Boston? That's hard to do in any arena when you're away, even moreso when you're in Boston.

So far, there's been great series in this round. I'm looking forward to the rest of the playoffs, no matter how it turns out...