People prying about salaries/wages/earnings.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Civ

People prying about salaries/wages/earnings.

Post by Civ »

It seems that lately, the more people I talk to, the more they want to know how much I make in terms of annual/weekly/hourly earnings. Usually, when I'm at the gym a lot of the "blue-collared"/non-office members there that I talk to eventually ask how much I make. I hate to point it out like that but I've noticed that the "white-collared"/office members don't ask. This is a bit of a wierd situation for me but it's been popping up so often now that I have to wonder if this is the new norm or if the people who want to know this are still just prying prats. Now, the way I've been raised, I was taught that other people apart from a financial advisor, public accountan, other money professionals, it's none of a person's business to know what I make nor should I ask how much they make. Over the years, it's gotten to the point where I don't care how much a person makes.

Just yesterday, someone asked me...again how much I made and just to get him off my back without answering the question, I simply said, "I dunno."

"Whaddaya mean, 'you don't know.'?"

"I don't know. Not really concerned about. More concerned with the job itself."

"What?!?! Money's the most important concern."

"Not for me. I'm more concerned with what I'm doing and how I'm doing it."

"What?!?! Who cares what you're doing as long as you get paid!"

I start to leave to begin my workout while saying, "sorry, man. Dunno."

I don't know if it's just my situation or not but has this become commonplace and I'm just getting old and set in my ways? What also bothered me a bit is that money was this guy's most important concern and not what he does for a living. I was tempted to ask him if he would be a hitman for the mob if it paid better, but I was afraid of the answer.

Oh, and before I forget, yeah, I did just say, "it's none of your business" at first. It didn't work and only caused them to pry more.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I find the best response to "how much do you get paid?" is "Why, how much do you get?" wait for them to respond, cock your head sideways, suppress a smirk and say "really? okay then" and stroll off.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Brend's idea = awesome.

That's the most constructive thing I can say at the moment.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Brendocon
I find the best response to "how much do you get paid?" is "Why, how much do you get?" wait for them to respond, cock your head sideways, suppress a smirk and say "really? okay then" and stroll off.

Problem with that though and my bad for not previously mentioning this, the guys that usually ask me those question admit to what they make without me even asking. They don't hide it at all. I'm guessing the reason is for the "big dick effect" such as how some people I know compare laptops to see who has the better laptop. Could also apply to sports cars and other things.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Whatever...ignore those people...long-term job satisfaction, along with the possibility of position flexibility/promotion, is more important than your wage right this moment. Enjoy what you're doing, and you'll eventually be paid fairly well for doing it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Civ
yeah, I did just say, "it's none of your business" at first. It didn't work and only caused them to pry more.

Come to this country. You can use "f*cking nosey c*nt, aren't ya?" as the next line, and ninety percent of any other people around will be on your side...
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

No one really asks me. Though, I wish people would stop asking what my job is. I dinnae like to talk about it, and the onbly reason I'm still working here is because it's pretty much the only thing I know how to do . . .
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Originally posted by Denyer
Come to this country. You can use "f*cking nosey c*nt, aren't ya?" as the next line, and ninety percent of any other people around will be on your side...

Calling some meatheads in a gym c*nts might not be the best idea.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Say it genially with a big smile on your face.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Originally posted by Denyer
Say it genially with a big smile on your face.

or like a cockney...

Anyways, I generally find that a hearty "not nearly enough" with a laugh usually works wonders.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by StoneCold Skywarp
or like a cockney...
Geordie or Irish for preference, but yeah, it's a confident bluster rather than nervously offering someone out...
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

Originally posted by Civ
Problem with that though and my bad for not previously mentioning this, the guys that usually ask me those question admit to what they make without me even asking. They don't hide it at all. I'm guessing the reason is for the "big dick effect" such as how some people I know compare laptops to see who has the better laptop. Could also apply to sports cars and other things.

its clear that you have to one up them by actually taking out your penis and say "alright mate, How big is your's then?".

hitting them in the face with it might help too.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
redman prime

Post by redman prime »

Originally posted by Hawkeye
its clear that you have to one up them by actually taking out your penis and say "alright mate, How big is your's then?".

hitting them in the face with it might help too.

hope you don't have a gym full of sprinters to catch you once you've done that....
life is great. then you die and leave everything to your wife.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

There's lots of ways to counter this... but, really, it is just a game of penis-size and it's often not worth it. The guys who ask you this are trying to 'compare at the john'. The women who ask you this are wondering how much you can spend on them.

"Enough" is good enough. If they continue to harass you about it, do what Brend suggested. :)
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

As far as I'm concerned, it's a stupid taboo anyway - not talking about how much you earn. However, a polite 'That's my business' should do the trick.

And I'm 100% in agreement with Ghostal (doesn't happen often) on this one.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

And to think we were twin brothers once. :(
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I earn about 9K a year... not a lot at all, but that's for about thirty hours a week, generally of not doing a lot of work. That's enough to cover rent, cigarettes, nights at the pub, crisps, Gobots and odds and sods for the other half. Don't really see any need to earn much more, TBH, when my quality of life is so high... In a way, I like not having a massive amount of disposable cash, as it means I enjoy toys and stuff that bit more when I get them, and there's always ebay if I need money (I'm guessing Armada Skywarp's actually rare now, seeing as I just shifted mine for £35... that's a morning's wages, that is!).
Hound

Post by Hound »

Originally posted by Vin Ghostal
Whatever...ignore those people...long-term job satisfaction, along with the possibility of position flexibility/promotion, is more important than your wage right this moment. Enjoy what you're doing, and you'll eventually be paid fairly well for doing it.
Umm, I agree with Ghostal.

Somebody check the forecast for hell...
Clay

Post by Clay »

This thread has 17 replies so far and no one has asked, "Well, how much do you earn?"

You people are slacking. :eyebrow:
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Well, my income is pretty random 'cause I do freelance now. Primarily I'm a stay at home dad, 'cause game development required 80 hour work weeks and only paid me $40K for doing it.

I'm also pretty weird, though, since my father and step-mothers, had incredibly successful careers, made very good money, were lousy parents. I'm far more willing to forsake 'cash' for being home with my kids than most people are.