IDW news: Ramjet Spotlight, Search for Starscream

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

IDW news: Ramjet Spotlight, Search for Starscream

Post by Nevermore »

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=122899
Upcoming Transformers projects include Transformers Spotlight: Ramjet, a new character that will first be seen in the current Transformers/New Avengers miniseries. The special will be written by Stuart Moore, and illustrated by Robbie Musso.

Ryall then announced that IDW would be producing sequel stories to the Transformers film, the first being The Search for Starscream. The sequel stories, Ryall said, will pick up where the film left off, and will introduce new characters. In addition, Ryall said that he will be writing a new prequel story that will be included in the DVD when it is released later this year.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Hmm, I already knew that there would be Spotlight for a character that would be debuting in the New Avengers/TF crossover, however I didn't know his name would be Ramjet. Strange that the new character (which can be seen in the preview for the second issue of the New Avengers crossover) didn't simply receive a new name rather than using a preexisting name from the TF mythos, assuming that is who we see in the preview.
der2

Post by der2 »

I havn't seen the preview, where does that leave G1 Ramjet, the coolest seeker imho.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Originally posted by der2
I havn't seen the preview

It has been speculated that the blue 'bot next to Skywarp is the new character debuting in the crossover. This may be the new Ramjet.
der2

Post by der2 »

Cheers for the pic zigzagger. Looks a tad generic to me, like a sacrificial calf on an away mission in Star Trek. Time I suppose will tell as it sometimes does.

Though I find it hard to believe a new character would be revealed in a cross over.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I know a couple of coneheads were in Stormbringer, was Ramjet with them?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Don't really get the point, tbh. For most intents and purposes, everybody in the IDW comics is a new character anyway. And it's not as if Ramjet's got massive amounts of defined personality to be overhauled... tweaking him to the needs of a Spotlights would be no more blasphemous than the alterations to Galvatron's origins.

Bizarre that they'd go to the hassle of specifying "OMG new character" and then recycing a name already established in the universe they're redefining...
inflatable dalek

Unless by new character they just mean "New to IDW" and that guy is the preview is an insanely badly drawn Thundercracker? No?
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Unless by new character they just mean "New to IDW" and that guy is the preview is an insanely badly drawn Thundercracker? No?

Umm . . . that's what I assumed before I read this. Though the Spotlights have been generally strong, I’m still unimpressed with the obvious choice of characters -- whenever this subject was brought up on the old IDW boards, Ryall would say that financially speaking, it would be suicide to do Spotlight issues focusing on obscure characters. As such, I hardly think they’d do an issue on a character “made from scratch”.

With Classics Ramjet renewing some interest in the character, compounded by the fact that it was well-received as well as the fact that he was a Season 2 regular/had that bit in the movie/ made some memorable appearances in the Marvel comics makes him just about as commercial as say Nightbeat or Sixshot.

Plus it seems as though a large portion of this fandom wants the same old stuff over and over, and persecute fresh ideas – these are often the ones that can’t get enough of the same old bland, generic seekers, coneheads, etc. The “Jets” are pretty popular . . .

. . . Unfortunately.
and that guy is the preview is an insanely badly drawn Thundercracker? No?
Looks quite a bit like Darkwing’s toy combined with the coin slot mouth that the artist subjects all his 'Formers to.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Aardvark
Umm . . . that's what I assumed before I read this. Though the Spotlights have been generally strong, I’m still unimpressed with the obvious choice of characters -- whenever this subject was brought up on the old IDW boards, Ryall would say that financially speaking, it would be suicide to do Spotlight issues focusing on obscure characters. As such, I hardly think they’d do an issue on a character “made from scratch”.

In fairness most of the spotlights have done a good job of teaming the star up with one or more less over-exposed toys, Trailbreaker, Sideswipe (alright, both well know but very rarely featured players) and even dear old Leadfoot.

Plus it seems as though a large portion of this fandom wants the same old stuff over and over, and persecute fresh ideas – these are often the ones that can’t get enough of the same old bland, generic seekers, coneheads, etc. The “Jets” are pretty popular . . .

. . . Unfortunately.
Aye, now there's the rub. There's lots of us asking for focus on less used bods, but when Nightbeat (who isn't even that obscure in the scheme of things) sells worse than the two comics around him where's the incentive?

Looks quite a bit like Darkwing’s toy combined with the coin slot mouth that the artist subjects all his 'Formers to.

Works for me.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Yeah, I also interpreted the "new character" to be an IDW debut for a previously-unseen G1-er. I have both a little fondness for the character and much fondness for the Classics fig, so this title definitely appeals to me.

As for "mystery-con" - looking at the Decepticons on Earth after Infiltration... could this be a poorly drawn Astrotrain? (The artist has given Runamuck a sudden new visor.)

Oop - just did a brief leaf-through of Stormbringer. The Nebulos party did include one conehead, Thrust... and Darkwind (and Dreadwing). The head looks sorta close to this guy; body not as much, but the colors are similar...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Aye, now there's the rub. There's lots of us asking for focus on less used bods, but when Nightbeat (who isn't even that obscure in the scheme of things) sells worse than the two comics around him where's the incentive?
[/B]

Never said there was any, but understanding their rationale doesn't make it any better -- Galan seemingly had a ridiculously harsh schedule while working on the G2 title, but that doesn’t change the fact that some of his work isn’t tops.

Tangent: having yet to read the issue in question, does Leadfoot receive any decent characterisation? Jamming characters into the background or giving them stock dialogue to push the narrative along isn’t really noteworthy. :)
inflatable dalek

He's a Hi and Die guy. Skram actually gets to be a little cooler but I refuse to acknowledge there's a Transformer called Skram.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Umm... does anyone else think that that Decepticon next to Skywarp could be a Double Dealer?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

You mean like the on who already appeared in the Hot Rod Spotlight issue?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Well, I stand (happily) corrected.
inflatable dalek

Those are perky nipples are they not?

So who the hell's the other guy then?
snavej

Post by snavej »

I want to play hoopla with his cone head all of a sudden.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

So who the hell's the other guy then?

What do we have so far? Thundercracker, Darkwing, Astrotrain, Double Dealer - did I miss any? ...They'll probably end up saying it's Buzzsaw.