Wolverine: Origins

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Prowl1984

Wolverine: Origins

Post by Prowl1984 »

Anyone else loving this at the moment? not to keen on the artwork as logan seems to be constantly pouting. im about a year behind on current marvel stuff as i get the british collectors additions, basically Joss is only a few issues in on his x-men run over here. i saw this title on the shelves though and i couldn't resist. couple of questions though:-

1) how and at what point did wolvie get his memories back?

2)how far off is house of M from the start of whedons run?

3)at what point did Rachel summers first show up and how? i was dead confused when she turned up at the end of extreme x-men as i had no knowledge of the character.

i would look this stuff up on marvel.com'sprofile pages but i dont wanna read too much by mistake and spoil things for myself

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Dead Man Wade

Re: Wolverine: Origins

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Prowl1984
1) how and at what point did wolvie get his memories back?
House of M. When HOM began, his deepest desire was to remember his past, so he was the only one in the HOM universe that remembered how things were supposed to be. Once it ended, he retained the memories.
2)how far off is house of M from the start of whedons run?
Depends. In continuity, or not?
3)at what point did Rachel summers first show up and how? i was dead confused when she turned up at the end of extreme x-men as i had no knowledge of the character.
Rachel showed up for the first time in Uncanny X-men #141. She spent a while with the X-men as Phoenix, then wound up in Excalibur until about issue 75, when she was lost in the timestream, where she would have gone on to found the order of the Askani. If I'm not mistaken, however, that timeline was destroyed once Apocalypse was defeated, so the next time she showed up was in Cable, where she was rescued from the end of time. Since then, she's been kicking around Uncanny, taking on the name Marvel Girl, and jamming her tongue down the throats of Nightcrawler, the big Shi'ar guy with the sword, and anyone else within arm's reach.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

House of M should fit between #12 and #13 of Astonishing X-Men.

I don't know if you got it yet and Wade didn't mentioned it, but Rachel is from the future, so when it comes to how did she showed up, the answer is: "she travelled from the future".

I somehow can't bring myself to read Wolverine's solo stuff at the moment. I haven't touched since Tieri's run in second series ended.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

ahh cheers guys! yo should give it a go Ozz, it's a pretty good read so far, dodgy artwork aside that is

Hunter S.Thompson
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I'm tempted to look at it but I've heard nothing but bad things about it, about how the art is a total non fit, the writing is inconsequential, the stories dont really have any place, and its a shame such a good idea has been ruined.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
I dunno how far you or anyone else is in Origins, so I'm spoiler tagging this:
SPOILER! (select to read)
I read the first arc and wasn't really feelin' it. I felt the fight with Nuke was a let down. They hyped it up like mad (especially in Wizard) and then it was just over and no time...all so we could watch Wolverine fight Cap. Again.

I dropped the book to save money. I see he's currently angling with Omega Red, whom I haven't seen since the early 90's, so I'm tempted to pick up the trade of the second arc whenever it comes out. I'll have to read the reviews and flip through it first, though.

the first arc was a bit meh. and i agree with you on the nuke thing, it was over in like two pages.
and as for the cap thing, it was good to see cap get owned but yet again, a let down
the new arc is looking good though, searching for his son, omega red showing up and an exploration of his father-daughter-esque relationship with jubilee is all coming into play quite nicely. i'm just hoping they sort the artwork out pretty soon. i definately don't thinkthat the idea is being wasted, it's just taking sometime to get the ball rolling, interesting stuff when you find out little snipetts about how much of a bastard he was before weapon x.

was house of M a bit like AoA in terms of it being removed from the usual marvel Universe?

Hunter S.Thompson
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

was house of M a bit like AoA in terms of it being removed from the usual marvel Universe?

It is, but it isn't.

It's removed in that it's an alternate timeline. However, unlike your average What If...? alternate timeline, it has immediate repercussions in normal continuity.
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

so my boy jobbed to wolvie eh? :( oh well i dont read wolverine anyway.
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Oh, it was so nice to see Arkady back, but he was seriously under-used. Everyone is still chasing a missing doo-hickey and Wolvie has a son who hates his guts - literally. It a curate's egg at the mo, but I'm sticking with it. Hopefully, there's going to be more about X-23 and just how many other children have been created from the claw guy, and why.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

wasn't x-23 a clone of wolverine? well i think so, that's all i remember from x-men: evolutions and that's the first time i saw the character. interesting that
the first thing that the spawn of wolvie does is gut his old man moments after killing dum dum dugan....he deserved to die with a name like that

Hunter S.Thompson
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

wasn't x-23 a clone of wolverine? well i think so, that's all i remember from x-men: evolutions and that's the first time i saw the character
That's the first time everyone saw her for the first time. ;) And yep, she's Logan's clone.
Silent Rage
Protoform

Post by Silent Rage »

Does this have anything to do with the Wolverine origin that was released a few years ago that had a story about Wolvie growing up in a rich house, as a servant?

That story kinda pissed me off because they implied that Wolvie wasn't actually Canadian, if I remember correctly.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Silent Rage
Does this have anything to do with the Wolverine origin that was released a few years ago that had a story about Wolvie growing up in a rich house, as a servant?
Not really. The basic premise is that Wolverine regained his memories and it went from there.
That story kinda pissed me off because they implied that Wolvie wasn't actually Canadian, if I remember correctly.
His family lived in Alberta, Canada, IIRC. He's still Canadian.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
Silent Rage
Protoform

Post by Silent Rage »

Oh, OK. I thought he lived in like Nebraska, or Maine, or Idaho, or something like that.

That's good to know. :D
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Oh, OK. I thought he lived in like Nebraska, or Maine, or Idaho, or something like that.

That's good to know. :D

yeah you canadians need something to be proud of otherr than the guy from Due South :p

That's the first time everyone saw her for the first time. And yep, she's Logan's clone.

ahhh that explains a fair bit. i got a little confused when i read the recent Astonishing x-men and no-one knew who she was

Hunter S.Thompson
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Not quite Logan's clone; she had a mother... Darn, where's that story got to?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Surrogate mother. I'm pretty sure she wasn't her biological mother. Embryo was created out of Logan's DNA and inserted into Kinney's womb.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Logan is male; X-23 (Laura) is female. Some radical tinkering there, so I suspect some splicing from a 'mother'.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Logan's DNA samples that the facility had had chromosom Y destroyed. Many attempts to recreate it failed. Sarah Kinney decided that she would use Logan's intact chromosom X instead and make the clone a female. None of Kinney's genetic material was used, it was all Logan's. Now, I'm not an expert on biology, but I'm pretty sure that rules Sarah out as X-23's biological mother, right?