The Big Movie Error Thread [off-topic]

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

I know it wasn't fixed, I said it should have been fixed. It's a shame they didn't. It's the biggest error in the movie.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Yup, he's still Devastator in the DVD, and all of the spin-off fiction I've read.
In the novel and movie adaption, as well as the children's novel, and toys, it's Brawl. Hasbro also confirmed that the proper name is Brawl. Bay, or the subtitler screwed up, and Bay is just trying to cover his tail. He knew the proper name was Brawl since August 2006. He was the one who announced the final names. The only other source that uses the Name "Devastator" for Brawl is the UK comic series. That doesn't make it the correct name.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The fact that's what he's called in the Movie does though. Skyfire for example is the correct name of the character in the original cartoon despite him being called Jetfire everywhere else.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Re: The Big Movie Error Thread

Post by Cliffjumper »

Don't make me tap the sign.
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
We're referring to the film only, so anything which was explained in the myriad tie-in media, interviews etc. but not in the film counts as an error (though we'll try to mention things on the final page).
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

What does the Ultimate Guide call him?
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
The fact that's what he's called in the Movie does though. Skyfire for example is the correct name of the character in the original cartoon despite him being called Jetfire everywhere else.
Yes, but the point is that that is an error, and has been confirmed as such by not only Aaron Archer, but also Robert Orci, and Alex Kurtzman. The use of the name Skyfire in the old cartoon was intentional by all parties because of the issue with Jetfire being a Vertiech Valyrie. The name "Devastator" is an error. It's a typo which should have been fixed and wasn't.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Originally posted by Halfshell
What does the Ultimate Guide call him?
The Ultimate Guide doesn't go into any detail about the movie, not even the updated version. That is because the movie had yet to be released, and was in fact still in post-production when the updated edition went to press.
inflatable dalek

It's not a typo as Devastator was spelt right was it not?

And as Cliffy says, this is about in-Movie errors rather than anything conflicting with the spin off and what not.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Tramp
The name "Devastator" is an error. It's a typo which should have been fixed and wasn't.

Nope, there's nothing in the film to say it's an error. This topic is only concerned with the film, as stated in the opening post. Drop it from here now. Take it to another topic, whatever. Just keep this crap out of this thread. This is the only request I will be making on the subject.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Regardless, it wasn't fixed. So the character in the film is called Devastator.

Just like the purple tape in the cartoon is called Rumble.
Just like the big Autobot jet in the cartoon is called Skyfire.
Just like the Seacon in the UK comic is called Jawbreaker.
Just like Snarl wasn't in the bulk of the animated movie.
And just like Dreamwave's War & Peace involved a great shutdown of about 9 million years.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

It is an "in-movie" error. It's the biggest one there is. And that is confirmed by multiple sources.
inflatable dalek

And anyway, the charatcers Hasbro approved name is Decepticon Brawl...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It is an "in-movie" error. It's the biggest one there is. And that is confirmed by multiple sources.

Where is it contradicted in the bloody film? Where? If someone called him Brawl, it'd be an error that he's referred to in the subtitles as Devastator. But he isn't. I am only interested in what's in the film. The whole Devastator/Brawl thing various idiots have turned into a complete mountain will be covered in a Notes section for the site. It, however, is not an error in the film any more than Jazz not being called "Autobot Jazz" is. End Of.

It's not often we ask for a "cordoned" topic. However, as this is gathering research for the main site, it's necessary here to do so. Simply... start another topic on the thing. You want to do your patented brick wall impression, go for it. It's that easy. Just not in this topic. Final warning.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cite them.

Either cite exactly who these "multiple sources" who confirm it was a ****-up are, or stop mentioning it.

Consider that a direct request from the staff. Post on the subject again in this thread without a direct link to the source and I'll have you removed from the forum.

I've done it before and I've no qualms about doing it again. There's a line, and you'll toe it.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Originally posted by Halfshell
Cite them.

Either cite exactly who these "multiple sources" who confirm it was a ****-up are, or stop mentioning it.

Consider that a direct request from the staff. Post on the subject again in this thread without a direct link to the source and I'll have you removed from the forum.

I've done it before and I've no qualms about doing it again. There's a line, and you'll toe it.
Here is one link from the Sunday July 1st panel at Botcon: Sunday 1 JUL, 2007 Panel article from Seibertron.com.
And here as well :BotCon panel article from TFormers.com Check towards the bottpm of both articles, and it confirms the name "Devastator" is an error.

In the Roberto and Alex Questions thread on the official movie message boards, page 90, Roberto answeres these two questions:
Originally posted by Roberto Orci on Offical Movie Message boards
Originally Posted by Master Fwiffo View Post
Orci.

Brawl. Devestator. WHAT HAPPENED?
See. You gotta watch these people all the time or THEY SCREW IT UP!

It'll be fixed. I hope. Kidding. Sort of.
and here:
Originally posted by Roberto Orci on official movie message boards
Originally Posted by Spanbauer
lol, lovely response Roberto

I hope they can get this corrected before the worldwide release. Other than that though, there hasn't been a bad review of this movie yet from those Transformers fans who saw it

Apparently, Bay said something about there being a big error in the film prior to the screening; do you know if the Devastator/Brawl mixup was it, or something else? Thanks Roberto!
It's gotta be, because we pointed it out twice in the editing room!
Both psts can be found here

Neslon_MichaleBay.com wrote this over on Siebertron.com's message boards—
originally posted by nelson_michaelbay_com on Seibertron.com Energon Pub forums

Salazaar wrote:

You released that bloody press release telling us Devastator was called "Brawl." (strike one, "devastator is his confirmed name in the film) .

When Bay presented the movie in Sydney, he acknowledge that there was a mistake in the movie. The subtitles--from what I hear---label him as Devastator. It was a mistake plain and simple.
found here
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Where in the movie is he called Brawl? If he isn't, then there's no contradiction on film. Meaning the error is outside the realm of the storyline.

Which is what this thread is about. Errors "within the realm of the storyline." That's what we meant by IN-MOVIE ERRORS. Sorry you couldn't grasp that.

I would suggest we just delete all the irrelvant posts about Brawl/Devastator from this thread, and all subsequent responses--including this one--to help clean all this up. Otherwise it'll just go on forever.