BotCon 2007 update - details

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

BotCon 2007 update - details

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.botcon.com/

Left column, brochure and all. Exclusives are Bugbite, Dreadwind, Thrust, Dirge and Thundercracker.

Expect them all to be Classics molds. So yeah, the seeker mold is going to be milked.

Bugbite will most certainly be Bumblebee. Dreadwind probably Jetfire.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Just to avoid complaints about this: The fact that Hasbro allowed Fun Publications to release Thundercracker, Dirge and Thrust as exclusives means that they (Hasbro) had no interest in releasing them on the mass market in the first place. So it'd be an "either they come out as BotCon exclusives or they don't come out at all" situation.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Oh my achin' wallet.. this is SO going to hurt.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

White Bumblebee's going to be a tradition from now on, then...

http://tfu.info/2004/Destron/BugBite/bugbite.htm

Dreadwind... possibly Jetfire?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

**** white, he should have a windscreen for a face! Sacrilege!
Originally posted by Nevermore
Just to avoid complaints about this: The fact that Hasbro allowed Fun Publications to release Thundercracker, Dirge and Thrust as exclusives means that they (Hasbro) had no interest in releasing them on the mass market in the first place. So it'd be an "either they come out as BotCon exclusives or they don't come out at all" situation.

Understand that from a business point of view, and it's nice that someone will get them... but damn, that's a real shame.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

I wonder if the minibots (Huffer, Windcharger.. and... crap, someone else was mentioned) are going to be the attendance and hotel exclusives, then.

Also put up some 'redeco' icons of the Classics figures based on the rumor-mongering - just to give a very rough idea of what you would be looking at. :)
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Looks like I'll be joining both clubs, then? I guess so. Well, since Classics is pretty much the end of my TF collecting, I guess I'll only be joining the TF club, once. We'll have to see about the Joe club, since I've pretty much made the switch over, aside from needing Ravage, Rumble and Beast 10th Megs to complete my TF collection.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Awww shoot.

Con exclusiveness = lame.
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

I can't be the only one wanting Dreadwind to somehow come with a new Hi-Test figure, can I?
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
numbat

Post by numbat »

That's gotta be the only big exclusive set I've ever wanted almost all the figures in... (Bugbite would be good for a laugh, I suppose... had ye olde Go-Bot)

Such an expensive year though, I just can't even imagine shelling out what it could take to get any of these...

Pity - I was really truly hoping for at least Thrust to come out, and Dreadwind is sooooo tempting.

Still - some folks will get to enjoy them, if they are willing to cough up!

:rolleyes:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

I'm on the fence, being a G1 'fanboi' and that this will pretty much be the end of my toy collecting for ... well... ever on Transformers. It would be a nice way to go out with a 'bang'.

But, damn, there's a LOT more I can do with that price-tag. And much of it won't involve my wife ripping off my testicles.
lars573
Protoform

Post by lars573 »

I was crying in my beer (metaphorically) over this. But I'll just try and score the jets I want on ebay. I mean I paid $35 CAD for Skywarp. Droping the same, or a little more, individually for Thundercracker/Thrust/Dirge wouldn't be a huge deal.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

It would be nice to get hold of those Seekers, but it ain't going to happen unless I grow wings or find a money tree, I guess :(

Dreadwind? Dreadwind? Now, I might go a-hunting for him on e-Bay, if I could ever pluck up the courage and buy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

it'd be an "either they come out as BotCon exclusives or they don't come out at all" situation.

Going back to this -- I doubt it. I expect some Classics moulds will be reused at retail, say, sometime within the next three years. This just makes it less likely Hasbro themselves will do a Thundercracker.

Best chance for that now is probably Takara, if a market for kids toys miraculously develops in Japan. Or US people could buy a lot of paint and several Starscreams to ruin trying things out, for the money they'd pay for a limited redeco of a cheap retail figure.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

You know, I've been thinking, and seeing as I'll probably be getting this set, it kind of makes me glad I wasn't able to track down Classics Jetfire, provided he's used for Dreadwind.

The seekers are probably the only case, where I would buy so many incarnations of a mold, since they're unique characters, and have been established as a unit, from the beginning, for the most part.

As far as Bug Bite goes, the Bumblebee/Cliffjuper mold is hella tight, so I don't mind owning another version, especially if the tie-in comic tells a good story. Which reminds me, I still need to pick up the Beast Wars comic from last year's convention . . .

Been thinking about the attendee extras, and someone mentioned Sunstorm, which seems like something Hasbro would highly approve (they like that guy a little too much). Nemesis Prime would be a good candidate, as well, but with how nigh-impossible it is to track down last year's Megatron, I'm hoping they don't, since that's the best Prime mold, and of all the Evil Primes, that'd be a must-have.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Denyer
Going back to this -- I doubt it. I expect some Classics moulds will be reused at retail, say, sometime within the next three years. This just makes it less likely Hasbro themselves will do a Thundercracker.

Okay. Think for a moment you are Hasbro. You are in control of Transformers operations in North America. You are in charge of the Classics line. Now Brian Savage of Fun Publications, who has acquired the license for the official convention and associated exclusive toys from you, asks you for permission to release a redeco of the Classics Starscream mold, as the Thundercracker character, as a BotCon exclusive.

Now let's assume you have plans to release a Classics Thundercracker toy on your own. Would you tell Brian Savage, "Sure, go ahead! To hell with mass distribution and larger profit margins! Take the exclusive and relieve us of the chance of making more money from this toy!"?
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

So it'd be an "either they come out as BotCon exclusives or they don't come out at all" situation.

Well they might as well not come out at all.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Now let's assume you have plans to release a Classics Thundercracker toy on your own. Would you tell Brian Savage, "Sure, go ahead! To hell with mass distribution and larger profit margins! Take the exclusive and relieve us of the chance of making more money from this toy!"?

I'd say "we have no immediate plans, busy with movie stuff for now, go for it and do the set." Then do a mass release of the one out of five decos that's likely to sell a couple of years down the road, maybe with a few token changes, alongside some other mould reuses -- because that's the nice thing about being the license originator.

Let someone else do the work of establishing that there's a probable market. Sound business strategy.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Denyer
Or US people could buy a lot of paint and several Starscreams to ruin trying things out, for the money they'd pay for a limited redeco of a cheap retail figure.

Makes me curious as to what people would pay for a custom Thundercracker. I have no interest in more seekers - the three that have been released are fine by me.

But I'm poor and have skillzorz. Maybe my kitbash hobby could be a small business instead.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Try a couple on eBay, start bid the cost of materials. Might want to use a shell account and/or sell other odds and sods at the same time and/or keep quantities low but steady as there's a moderate probability of reporting if the plan is to do them and reseal into modified original packaging. Loose is less likely to come under scrutiny as you're not misrepresenting a trademark.

Would get started on it before the convention if I were you.