marketing the toys along side the cartoon.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
sprites touch
Protoform

marketing the toys along side the cartoon.

Post by sprites touch »

Many of us wondered were did some of the charecters retiered, like most season1 charecters that didn't die in the movie but didn't continue to season 3, and who gets screen time.
Bumblbee and weelie aren't exactly a great financial investment, I would have rather sell more Trypticons,Metroplexes and fort maxes, if you get my line of thought.
so why did they disapear.
with Skyfire it's easy- isuues with the rights for the toy, stop it's production and sales, so no point giving him screen time, but what abou the others?
did Omega Supreme , sold so well on it's own that no promotion was needed?
I'm aware that there were actuall comertials for the toys, but the cartoon was there to promote sales and a good plot and charecters weren't that much on the animators/writers mind.
who would you have like to sell, and what episode would you write for that charecter/toy?

------------------

Maybe it's 'cause of all those punchs to my head, but I'm starting to see yer point.
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Money. Toy companies know parents are generally cheapskates, especially when they aren't directly getting anything from it. So parents, the main direct consumer market for toys, are more likely to buy cheap toys. If a kid whines that he wants a three hundred dollar toy, the parent is more likely to put the foot down than give in. But if said kid whines that he wants a five dollar toy (thank you, Outback advertisement), it'll probably be a sale. And one five dollar sale is more valuable than zero three hundred dollar sales.
'Least, that's how I figure it.

------------------
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

They try to advertise the middle road. Notice that the Spychangers don't get too much screen time, but the Autobot Bros. are main characters. They're not as expensive as the larger toys, but then again, they're probably more of a moneymaker than the spychangers, which are very small, and not that expensive.

BTW, shouldn't this be in toys? Get `em mods (I always wanted to say that)!

------------------
They were the dream--
--Mechanical beings able to transform
their bodies into vehicles, machinery
and weapons; a last line of defense
against the CHAOS-BRINGER,
UNICRON. Image

-Transformers: Issue 75-
"ON The Edge of Extinction!"

Looks like I'm:

PaladinPrime: Supporter of the kill all lurkers, and eat them campaign.

[This message has been edited by PaladinPrime (edited 12-28-2001).]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Er, he did ask "what episode would you write for that charecter/toy?"
sprites touch
Protoform

Post by sprites touch »

thanke you very much mr. denyer Image
I loved the dinobots, and I think they've got a fair screen time, and they proboly sell on their own, as they are as you say "middle road" regarding to price, and they are both TFs and dinos, things that kids love generaly(except a certein purple one).

------------------

Maybe it's 'cause of all those punchs to my head, but I'm starting to see yer point.
Redstreak
Protoform

Post by Redstreak »

Nah, kids like the big purple one, but anyone over, say, 6 thinks it's very very scary.
Shoulda been a Skids ep...that way his existence could have been justified.

R.

------------------
Thanks to Skycat for the sig pic!
-------------------------
Come on down to RCOSD & Redstreak's basement, where torture and pain are our game.