Wireless Networking Help

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Wireless Networking Help

Post by CounterPunch »

So, ive got a comp in my room, and it has a wireless networking card, and on the one im on right now I have a router, all set up.

I got the net set up on my one in my room, but the speed was slow as anything and choppy, which I assume is because of the fact its over the other side of the house to the router (it is a compatible card with the router) am I able to buy a signal booster? and if so how much are they normally.

I would look around but I dont do technology so I dunno what id be looking for
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

It's not DSL, is it???
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Sorry completely forgot about this thread lol

Well its cable broadband that plugs in to a modem, then a router that connects to my pc downstairs and xbox live.

I have a wireless network card installed in the one im working on now, same speed as the router.

I get internet, but its sporadic, normally 45% signal, when I lose the connection it normally doesnt come back until i restart the computer, but sometimes that doesnt work.

In relation, can restarting my computer too often cause damage to it?
Computron

Post by Computron »

Wireless can be horrible when it doesn't work - hence me in the pricess of trying to get my home network wired - just got one machine out of range which means wireless fun.

As for the signal issue you could try putting a repeater half way through your house - can't guarentee that will work but you could boost your signal a bit more - if your lucky and place it in a good place you can get your signal much higher
I support a ban on powerposting
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... LIN-WRE54G

is what im considering getting, it is the same speed as my router and is WRT54G compatible

EDIT: Ack seems to be some BAAD reviews on it from Amazon, and other places, apparently very good but VERY difficult to set up
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
In relation, can restarting my computer too often cause damage to it?
Unnecessarily powering up and down a harddrive will shorten its lifespan, anyway.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Roight

I want some help again

I'm considering getting either a signal strength booster or a bridge for my internet... But I'm not sure what the difference is, what is best to get?

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/79363/rb/22290599834

or

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/52459/rb/22291475921
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The booster is for widening the range of the signal, whereas the bridge is for plugging wired devices into. So with an existing wireless network, the booster is what you're looking for.

The reviews for that mention that people have had problems with Netgear (and other non-Linksys) products, just as an advance warning.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Well my router is linksys, but my wireless card is belkin
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

The only thing I'm worried about is me shelling out all that money, setting it up, finding out that that doesnt solve my connection issues then not being able to return it.