The New Star Trek film, the trailer:

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Jetfire

The New Star Trek film, the trailer:

Post by Jetfire »

Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Might be a good film. Hope it is anyway and is it me or do the new actors bare a resemblance to the older actors?
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Springer007 wrote:Might be a good film. Hope it is anyway and is it me or do the new actors bare a resemblance to the older actors?
I think that did that to keep the idea that it is a prequel and these are the younger version of these actors.

I’ve never been all that big a Star Trek fan, my dad is more of one than I am. I’ve picked up some stuff here and there, just from listening to him talk about it over the years.

When Star Trek: Nemesis came out in theatres I saw it with him. I thought it was pretty good for what it was.
The problem with all of the spin offs it that it is far too removed from its original premise.

If this movie works it will bring in a whole new generation of Star Trek fans.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Springer007 wrote:Might be a good film. Hope it is anyway and is it me or do the new actors bare a resemblance to the older actors?

Other than Spock (though stick anyone thin bloke in the hair and ears and they'd be a good match), I'd say no, not really. Not that that matters.

The sets have me a bit puzzled. they're retro but 70's rather than 60's style. Phase II ish. I would have been fine with a total update, could have lived with exact recreations of the originals (though I do think retro is the wrong way for Trek to go) but this halfway house design falls between stools for me.

But once I found out they're doing time travel again, and even using the same "Ah, but now anyone can die and big changes can happen!" rationel Enterprise used for its temporal cold war bollocks I have pretty much given up hope.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I kinda liked Enterprise though... That and the hot Vulcan women......... I actually was wanting to see every episode, and I hadn't been that way since Next Generation truthfully. I am just weird lol

-Space Marines
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Springer007 wrote:I kinda liked Enterprise though... That and the hot Vulcan women.........
Enterprise was lame.
The only good part of enterprise was the opening sequence.
As for hot Vulcan women, well…:love:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
inflatable dalek

Though Enterprise did have some highpoints the whole temporal time war thing just never worked, hence them dropping it like a hot potato half way through (did they ever bother to reveal who future guy was?).

The Vulcan character was actually the best thing in it, not because of any perceived hotness (she's better in the flesh true, but the costume and wig go out of their way to make her as minging as possible) but because the actress seemed to be the only one of the cast who actually put any effort in every week.

I'm always surprised to see people say the last year was really good, as every one I saw was basically Attack of the Cybermen ("Hey, we explained the Klingon forehead thing last week, we're doing the buildup to the Romulan war- without letting anyone see them that is- next week, hows about we explain exactly what happened to the original Defiant after The Tholian Web this week? I bet people have been waiting thirty years for that!").

Mind, the Borg episode was surprisingly good and reaffirmed the danger the species posed by just having a couple get close to the point where their assimilated science vessel was nearly the equal of Enterprise. It didn't leave you in any doubt that with another half hour they'd have been in a position to take out all of that period's Star Fleet single-handed and undid all the bad work Voyager made of them.

EDIT: And the credits were crap as well. The important moments in space exploration being all American? Gagarin at least should have been in it.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

inflatable dalek wrote:
And the credits were crap as well. The important moments in space exploration being all American? Gagarin at least should have been in it.
It was a show born out of the space race and was influenced by the American space program.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I also liked the Orion women, even as growing up I'd dream I'd be tortured in many ways by giant green women that were the intergalactic sex symbols...... Ahh the days of youth XD On a serious note they seemed to be given more appearances and made the show interesting for a captain who apparently was more a womanizer that Kirk XD

-Space Marines
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Sylar, Simon Pegg and John Cho! I love the casting for the new movie. I've never been a Star Trek fan, but after seeing that trailer I'm gonna have to check it out.
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Springer007 wrote:I also liked the Orion women, even as growing up I'd dream I'd be tortured in many ways by giant green women that were the intergalactic sex symbols...... Ahh the days of youth XD
......:wtf:
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Wow, looking at it in still pictures like that - I may have a very hard time taking this thing remotely seriously....

And I recall reading that Jolene Blalock (sp?) (aforementioned "hot Vulcan") was a Trekker growing up and quite happy to be cast in the show, which would help explain her bringing her top game every week. (Though I'll defer to your word on that, Dalek, as I haven't seen enough of Enterprise to have an informed opinion on everyone's acting myself.) And, while I knew a very attractive girl in college who looked great with basically that haircolor and cut, I also agree that Blalock looks better off the show, from what I've seen (though I've not actually seen her "in the flesh" personally).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

LKW wrote:Wow, looking at it in still pictures like that - I may have a very hard time taking this thing remotely seriously....
I don't think you're supposed to though. Looks like they're trying to tap into Joe Bloggs mental image of Trek as fun campy 60's nonsense where women worse less. More Arena (or even Iron Man to use a non Trek reference) than City on the Edge of Forever, there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself if they get it right. Actually, sod using the Romulans they should have brought the Gorn back.
And I recall reading that Jolene Blalock (sp?) (aforementioned "hot Vulcan") was a Trekker growing up and quite happy to be cast in the show, which would help explain her bringing her top game every week.
And ironically enough her fangirl status made her the shows most vocal critic towards the end.
(Though I'll defer to your word on that, Dalek, as I haven't seen enough of Enterprise to have an informed opinion on everyone's acting myself.)
To be fair the three main Kirk/Spock/McCoy rip offs were all fairly decent in their roles (though Backula was never anywhere in his Quantum Leap league, which is a shame because he should have been the best captain since Picard). The rest of the cast never got a chance to show if they could act, they were little more that wallpaper. Though the woman playing Hoshi wasn’t bad either.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

inflatable dalek wrote:I don't think you're supposed to though. Looks like they're trying to tap into Joe Bloggs mental image of Trek as fun campy 60's nonsense where women worse less. More Arena (or even Iron Man to use a non Trek reference) than City on the Edge of Forever, there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself if they get it right. Actually, sod using the Romulans they should have brought the Gorn back.
Oops, never did actually reply here.... Well, if that is the angle they're going for, that might work - though you're right, the Gorn might've worked better ;) Still not sure if I'll like it or not; but as I've seen almost none of the Treks in the theaters, my reaction's probably not one the producers would be that concerned with, anyway....

And that's interesting, to hear about Blalock's criticism; and disappointing to hear that Backula didn't rival his "Leap" work there. (I wondered if it was just his soft voice which left me not totally convinced of him as a commanding officer, in what I'd glimpsed of the show. Which clearly isn't that much, as I didn't realize they had more than like five people on the ship!)

Did that show even have a "seeking/coming to grips with their humanity" character? Or maybe they realized they maxed out on that with Voyager. My brother and I discussed that show recently and realized just how many "Spock/Data" types Voyager had, leading me to this summary of the series: "Watch a Starfleet captain, a Native American rebel, and FIVE SPOCKS try to get home from the Delta Quadrant....."
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

http://www.pvponline.com/2008/11/18/trek-on/

C’mon, I know you where all thinking the same thing.;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
inflatable dalek

And that's interesting, to hear about Blalock's criticism; and disappointing to hear that Backula didn't rival his "Leap" work there. (I wondered if it was just his soft voice which left me not totally convinced of him as a commanding officer, in what I'd glimpsed of the show. Which clearly isn't that much, as I didn't realize they had more than like five people on the ship!)
That’s two more crew members than most people notice. I’ll often catch the end of a Quantum Leap episode when I come in from work on Sci-Fi and it’s so easy to forget after he’s had a decade in TV Movie Hell what a bloody good actor Backula (who has the greatest surname ever, FACT) can be. He played a chimp more convincingly than the Enterprise Captain.
Did that show even have a "seeking/coming to grips with their humanity" character? Or maybe they realized they maxed out on that with Voyager. My brother and I discussed that show recently and realized just how many "Spock/Data" types Voyager had, leading me to this summary of the series: "Watch a Starfleet captain, a Native American rebel, and FIVE SPOCKS try to get home from the Delta Quadrant....."
Blalock basically was that character, in the same way Tuvock on Voyager was basically Mr. Blackspock she was Mr Vaginaspock.. The hilarious thing about Voyager was the way just about everyone involved in it was freely admitting they’d wasted 7 years of lives making crap by the end of it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:(who has the greatest surname ever, FACT)
Does that still apply when spelt correctly?
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:Does that still apply when spelt correctly?
What are you doing in a Star Trek thread? There's no giant red robots with swords in it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Waiting for people to slip up so I can interject and nitpick. Think Nevermore, but in GD.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Cliffjumper wrote:Waiting for people to slip up so I can interject and nitpick. Think Nevermore, but in GD.
You're German?

I always thought Nevermore was you, but in the News forum.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."