New Generations figures

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Paul053

New Generations figures

Post by Paul053 »

If you are interesting in seeing some new Generations figures, here are Dark Shadow and Junkheap.

Ulcrain
Protoform

Post by Ulcrain »

All of character in the world, why Junkheap?
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Ulcrain wrote:All of character in the world, why Junkheap?
Because they've been doing head retools of RTS and Generations figures and can you think of anyone else that deserves to look like Wreck-Gar? Besides, now old Wrecks will have someone to ride around on!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

These are pretty nice; now I think I will have to pick them up whenever they come out. I'm glad I waited on Thunderwing; Dark Shadow looks much nicer!
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

Junkheap and Black Shadow will be available from next week. Already have my Junkheap. Didn't bother with black shadow yet. Junkheap goes well with Wrek-Gar and Scrapheap and do have connection points in bike mode to enable them to ride each other.

I'm hoping for a Rumble/Frenzy release.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Lots more pics for anyone who's interested.

As trivial as it is, Sky Shadow's bio is a huge disappointment for me. Considering he's known for exactly two things in the west -- "Space Mafia" and "enthusiastic Phase Sixer" -- I was hoping we'd get a bio going on about how he gleefully destroys worlds for Megatron or runs around loan-sharking and putting horse heads in people's recharge beds. Instead it's "he's so amazingly, generically evil that even Megatron is afraid of him!" It's too bad...something that fleshed out either of the little bits we know about him would have been nice, but instead we've now got a third conflicting snapshot of the guy. Stuff like that really makes me appreciate the work Budiansky put into this sort of thing in the 80s...

I like the look of the toy, but the Thunderwing mold isn't my favourite...under normal circumstances this would probably be a pass. But the years I spent running Black Shadow and his entire criminal syndicate in the RPG means I've got a strong attachment to the character, so there's really no way I won't be buying this even though I know the toy isn't that great.

Junkheap doesn't impress me as much, and I don't take Wreck-Gar down off the shelf very often so I don't think there's any reason for me to own that mold twice (especially since I only own it once because it was half-price at a store that had the Tracks I was looking for).
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

I'm glad that I like Thunderwing and that Black Shadow looks good, because I'm locked in for every Victory update they make until I have a Deathsaurus.
Sades

Post by Sades »

These aren't new figures. They're recolours.

[/grumble grumble]
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

tahukanuva wrote:I'm glad that I like Thunderwing and that Black Shadow looks good, because I'm locked in for every Victory update they make until I have a Deathsaurus.
Actually, that's a good point. How often does Hasbro produce new toys for Japan-exclusive G1 figures, anyway? The only other one I can think of right now is Alternators Ricochet. And like Black Shadow, he's in the "we have no one else to redeco a popular character as" camp. I guess King Atlas too, but that was a long time ago and a pretty weak effort to boot.

It would be nice to see a few more Japanese characters show up in Generations, especially if they're handled as well as Black Shadow is. I'd be kind of surprised if Jazz didn't get redecoed as Ricochet eventually, but beyond that how many characters really have that high a profile over here? Overlord maybe...he'd be helped by his UK release back in the day and the huge popularity of LSOTW, but the original toy is pretty complex and they might be leery of touching that. Star Saber is probably the most likely candidate, although if they did make him I think they'd probably redesign him pretty heavily given that the original toy (and the faithful Robot Masters mold) has the worst jet mode ever.

The only other Japanese characters I can think of who'd fit the bill are Minerva, Metalhawk, Artfire and, yes, Deathsaurus. So if a new Black Shadow toy is a sign of things to come, they'll probably get to Deathy eventually.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Warcry wrote:The only other one I can think of right now is Alternators Ricochet. [...] Star Saber is probably the most likely candidate
Well, there's Energon Wingsaber, but he's shit. And the various Sunstorms and black Scorponoks kinda qualify.

In general, especially recently, Hasbro has really impressed me with their dedication to the fanbase (even if it does come with a few dozen arbitrary Nightbeats). I mean, geezus, Black Shadow, Guzzle, and friggin' Straxus all within the span of about a year? We've never been so spoiled.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

tahukanuva wrote: I mean, geezus, Black Shadow, Guzzle, Warpath, and friggin' Straxus all within the span of about a year? We've never been so spoiled.
Fixed that for you. ;)

But yes, we have been spoiled. Even with the engineering quality in the figures we've been getting lately. Also, we've gotten what, at least one convention exclusive released as a general market one?

I'm looking forward to what next years Generations figures will bring at the very least. I'm mildly curious to see who they turn Kup into, and if I'm right about the forthcoming Scourge retool. The only downfall I can see is that Generations is a "Deluxe only" line. Might mean that some of the possible Victory toys might be a little on the small side unless they cheat, like they did with the RTS line. Also, with the WFC set of figures, will we see FoC figures come out as well? I'd love a WFC style Jazz, Prowl, or Grimlock.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Warcry wrote:something that fleshed out either of the little bits we know about him would have been nice, but instead we've now got a third conflicting snapshot of the guy.
Hasbro's bio writers can only make generic stuff. When they try to flesh something out, they flesh out shit like Hot Shot's JaAm obsession, something that doesn't even come from any of the three shows Armada Hot Shot has appeared in.

I mean, jAaM, for feck's sake. Sure, Hot Shot's got the personality of a boring cliched kiddie character, but instead of fleshing out something people might remember, they flesh out jaAM.

So is it any wonder that they won't even bother researching who the heck Black Shadow is? I mean, all the work the toy designers put in repainting the toy and making a new head, and the toy bios are written by monkeys.
Warcry wrote:I'd be kind of surprised if Jazz didn't get redecoed as Ricochet eventually,
Japan's done it, complete with a Simon Furman-penned comic to advertise him to boot. Artfire's coming too, if the comic is anything to go by.

Stepper, not Ricochet, damn it. Stepper is so Engrish that it's fun to say. ;)
Overlord maybe...he'd be helped by his UK release back in the day and the huge popularity of LSOTW, but the original toy is pretty complex and they might be leery of touching that.
Somehow I can see Overlord being done as a simple Duocon-type thing, though for my life I have no idea how they're going to design a modern Overlord toy without making loads of compromises.
Ulcrain wrote:All of character in the world, why Junkheap?
Why not? They managed to dole out Acid Storm, why not Junkheap, a character based on a recurring generic Junkion model in the cartoon and comics?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Thunderwave wrote:Fixed that for you. ;)
Warpath was featured a lot in the original cartoon. He hardly belongs on a list with a Japanese-exclusive character, a Sparkabot and someone who was created in the comics just to die a couple issues later.
Thunderwave wrote:The only downfall I can see is that Generations is a "Deluxe only" line. Might mean that some of the possible Victory toys might be a little on the small side unless they cheat, like they did with the RTS line.
If we actually get a chance to complain about that, we should consider ourselves lucky.
Thunderwave wrote:Also, with the WFC set of figures, will we see FoC figures come out as well? I'd love a WFC style Jazz, Prowl, or Grimlock.
Apparently Hasbro announced to their investors that FOC would get a 'full product line', whatever that might mean.
Blackjack wrote:Stepper, not Ricochet, damn it. Stepper is so Engrish that it's fun to say. ;)
Ricochet actually means something and is related to his personality and function.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Warcry wrote:Warpath was featured a lot in the original cartoon. He hardly belongs on a list with a Japanese-exclusive character, a Sparkabot and someone who was created in the comics just to die a couple issues later.
I have a different memory of Straxus, but then I grew up with the Marvel UK comics. He lasted a good bit longer there then in the US. I think that's why I flipped shit when I saw he was getting a figure. If it makes you feel better swap out Warpath for Skullgrin, the Pink Wonder Pretender. I never thought he would be getting a new toy. Makes me hope for an Octopunch.
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

What I'd like to see is new versions of the Mayhem attack squad line up given the classics treatment. Also the rest of the wrecker's/survivors getting done (whirl,roadbuster,skids etc)
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Warcry wrote:Ricochet actually means something and is related to his personality and function.
Stepper is a dancer... which, agreed, makes no sense with his original 'no-nonsense lawful good serious all the time' character description.

Unless he takes his dancing just as seriously. He respects the dance.
assupget
Protoform

New Generations figures

Post by assupget »

Happy New Year to all my fellow Neighers

How many weeks until the Festival?