Don Murphy: Cullen and Welker "far from being a done deal"

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

Don Murphy: Cullen and Welker "far from being a done deal"

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.d13satellite.com/donmurphy/s ... eadid=8268

According to Don, the Dreamworks execs think "the old voices link [the] new movie to old things".
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
The GHX

obvious

Post by The GHX »

Originally posted by Nevermore
According to Don, the Dreamworks execs think "the old voices link [the] new movie to old things".

the "old" fans link the new movie to either the old cartoon series or movie, with or without old voice actor - the "new" fans are probably not aware of who they are (what they did in the past)
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

Isn't that kinda the point?

Why make a Transformers movie if it's not anything to do with anything that's come previously.

Is using Optimus Prime linking to old things?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Angelophile
Is using Optimus Prime linking to old things?
Nah, 'cause he's going to be an ice-cream truck.

Cullen and Welker are amongst the very best in the business. I haven't really followed Welker's career, but Cullen is heard by millions in his work for Disney. (Actually, looking at Welker's biography, so is he.)

I don't even like most of the original animated show, but miscasting the new movie with voice actors who can't carry gravitas would be just another reason not to bother watching.
Why make a Transformers movie if it's not anything to do with anything that's come previously.
Probably the same reason execs pitched a movie (either Mort or Reaper Man, IIRC) to Terry Pratchett with the role of Death removed. With licenses, studios are typically only after the name.

Possibly they're masochists who enjoy bad reviews from columnists who haven't been bought.
Angelophile
Protoform

Post by Angelophile »

Oh well, execs are idiots. This is nothing new. ;)

Ian Bryce, Tom DeSanto and Don Murphy are all pushing Cullen and Welker. It's down to Bay and I think he's probably more likely to listen to advice from those guys than faceless executives.

The final decision's down to him, but I think it's been made pretty clear that the only thing most people seem to agree on is Cullen and Welker.
Terranigma Freak
Protoform

Post by Terranigma Freak »

Get the message out people... by REMOVED

That is seriously stupid! :wall: :wall: :wall:

Edited by Nevermore: Please to nor ask others to commit acts of violence against other people. Someone might seriously consider doing it.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

I'm past caring anymore, apathy is my guiding emotion.

Cullen/Welker? This really this won't make or break the film for me. I do agree with Denyer that it's about gravitas when it comes to the leader bots, but nobility, menace etc can't be too difficult to project for an actor.

Without reeling of a 'My best axctorz' list, there are several actors who could pull it off, whether they be A-List or not.

*Struggles*

Ok William H Macy for Bumblebee, but that's it!:glance:
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Terranigma Freak
(Post edited)

We at TF Archive do no condone committing acts of violence against other people, nor calling for other people to do so.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Unless they're Josh Blaylock.

God, I'd love to RIGHT, THAT'S ENOUGH YOU UPPITY LITTLE ENGLISH BASTARD. DON'T MAKE ME COME ROUND YOUR HOUSE AND **** YOU UP OLD SKOOL.

Last edited by Nevermore on 02-06-2006 at 04:48PM
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Nevermore
Someone might seriously consider doing it.
I don't think they'd be able to afford a decent hitman / ninja / trained monkey.

But yeah, the old "oh noes, they no listen to fanboys, kill them" schtick is getting very hackneyed. And some of the wankers who threatened Bob Skir seemed to be serious. So let's please have less of it, or much more creative and ludicrous threats at least.
Originally posted by Wildrider
nobility, menace etc can't be too difficult to project for an actor.
I can't think of many in a sensible budgetary frame. But then again, I don't watch many films, and what I do tend not to come out of Hollywood...
RIGHT, THAT'S ENOUGH YOU UPPITY LITTLE ENGLISH BASTARD. DON'T MAKE ME COME ROUND YOUR HOUSE AND **** YOU UP OLD SKOOL.

Last edited by Nevermore on 02-06-2006 at 04:48PM
:D

Almost. Size=1 text is actually slightly smaller than the genuine edit marker.
Originally posted by Terranigma Freak
Get the message out people... by killing a few Dreamworks execs.
Seriously, this = dumb. No more.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

**** you up old school?

You're going to ask him to remove his trousers and give him a good spanking? You know I once got the cane for writing on the toilet wall and they banned me from going to Chester Zoo, I was only eight. That's what you get for going to a private catholic school.:(

I wonder if Buscemi will be in it, he's a regular Bay attendee, be nice if he was in it somewhere, playing against type as a weasely fellow.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

You're going to
Nono, Cliffy is just being more subtle than usual. The "edit" is part of the post.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

**** you up old school?

What? Nevermore speaks like that. He's gangsta, mon.

Another one of my ploys fails :(

I still think we should be allowed to kill Josh Blaylock though. And I'm always subtle. Sometimes so subtle you don't notice i'm doing it. Oooh-ah. Got you thinking now. Is this whole "shout first, use brain later" style just the biggest bluff in history? Worried now, aren't you, The Man? Hai!
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Originally posted by Denyer
Nono, Cliffy is just being more subtle than usual.

I know, but I love the term old school.

After watching 'Gangs of New York' last night think I might have a clue as to what it might mean, where as before anything that happened yesterday is 'old skool'. If you use a K in school, you're keeping it real!

Brendan Gleeson has in my opinion the gravitas to play Prime, he's A/B List, but is recogniseable.

That bad guy with the husky coice from 'The Crow' ould play Megatron quite well also.

Great I'm listing actors again, can someone wish violence on me please?
Blacknife
Protoform

Post by Blacknife »

Gotta love the execs...

They probably are thinking in headliner terms. The VA's aren't current names...

Now, see, they might hire more prominent VAs that currently do dubbing.

"I am Op..PIKACHU...ahem."

"DAMMIT FOR THE THIRD TIME, CUT THAT OUT!"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Blacknife
The VA's aren't current names...
Find me people who are likely to go and watch this movie who don't know what Eeyore sounds like. Cullen in particular is a family-friendly mainstay.

Is Pokemon still around, BTW?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

To be honest, I only think the movie needs one or two names. They could follow the rough template of the recent Disney films, with non-household name VAs (such as Cullen or Welker) in most of the key roles, and a Hollywood name in a key supporting role (say, as Spike or whoever).
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
To be honest, I only think the movie needs one or two names. They could follow the rough template of the recent Disney films, with non-household name VAs (such as Cullen or Welker) in most of the key roles, and a Hollywood name in a key supporting role (say, as Spike or whoever).
I was thinking about this...I worry about who they'd pick up for Spike. I'd prefer it if they went with a "big name" for one or two of the voices (not Prime or Megatron) and went with new faces for the humans...and let the name sell the movie. But, as we have all now wittnessed first hand, big names are actually more important to the success of the movie than we'd all hoped (see: Serenity).

Maybe, if Tom Hanks wants to be in the movie, he could be Bumblebee. :)

<pauses>

Actually...that might not be such a bad fit....
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
a Hollywood name in a key supporting role (say, as Spike or whoever).
Yeah, it makes far more sense to cast stars where they'll be visible, rather than doing voice-over work they aren't trained for. In some ways it's more like radio work than expressing stuff on-screen -- the range of cues you can give is limited by the lack of real facial expressions and body language.
The GHX

Post by The GHX »

Give "human" voices (and roles) to Hollywood names and "robot" voices to old cartoon's VAs - why not? they're skilled.
What is the point on this?

I can't figure why a Hollywood actor is a better voice than the "old name" ..... and kill the exec is not a good solution - why can get someone worse! .... :deeply ponderating: :laugh: