lost in translation

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
RUNAMOK
Protoform

lost in translation

Post by RUNAMOK »

some countryes do actuly have other names for the transformers, not only japan

I remember some differencen when i thin bach to the G2 show (didn't see "g1" was not born at that time)

one of the main things was that the bad guys never vere called Decepticons, they were called Bedragere, what means somyhing like cheater.
some of the subgroops did also have other names, the most were changet to "mobots" insthe of cons or bots
exsampels flymobotter, stuntmobotter, krigsmobotter and so on

I have also some strange vidios and dvds, where the decepticons are called bedraoner,
some of the names on the figures has also changed, cliffjumper is called kilppespringer(his name in danish), hound is called spejder(what means scout), and optimus prime is called primus optimus.

if my memory serws there was also some changes in the german wersion, that i also saw when i was small(I am actuly better in speaking german then english) I think that Devastator was called der Zerstörer(his name in german)

are there else enny countryes with that cind of namechanges?

Edit: there are more names, laserbeak is called lasernæb(his name in danish), ratchet is called klinker, sparkplug is called sjakbejs, bluestreak is called blåstreg, reflektor is called refleks, rumble is sometimes called rumle,

there was also some diferences in the german version of beast wars, the predacons were saying transform instead of terorise, what sounds kind of wrong in german, or danish for that matter, some of the names had also been modified a little for easyer prounaunsment, skorpinok, tarantulus, terrusaurus

in energon they use the decepticon term
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

over in my neck of the woords ( the netherlands )
no names were actually changed
save for optimus prime's name during the first 4 issues of the comic due to various legal reasons he was known as jetfire first
other then that the names in the comics appeared like they did in the american versions
might as well
we were totally ****ed over as far as the comic was concerned
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

I also have some Danish comiks, they are like the u.s. ones, exept they have two stories and tree or four universe profiles in one relese, the only thing they have changed there, to my notice, is that they call the decepticons for bedragere
inflatable dalek

Re: lost in translation

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by RUNAMOK
and optimus prime is called primus optimus.

I wonder if Furman had seen a Danish Prime toy at some point before Legion of Unicron...

I think there were a few UK releases that had different names to their US counterparts (one of the Seacons definately).
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Only Jawbreaker/Overrbite from the original line, IIRC. Several of the European-only releases had differnt names, as did much of G2.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Is there anything you don't know?;)
I only remembered the Seacon because of the letters to the comic asking why his name changed every week...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Darth Shrapnel
Protoform

Post by Darth Shrapnel »

I think all the Autobots had animal names in the Italian version.
"Im drowning in footwear!"
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Don't they call him "Optimus Primo" (pronounced "preemoh") in Italy?

I dunno.
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

I dont know if the toy is called primus optimus, I have only seen it in those vidios, in the comik he is called optimus prime.

those strange vidios and dvds are produced by some firm called George, I defenetly don't think they are offical
bluekatt
Protoform

Post by bluekatt »

Originally posted by RUNAMOK
I also have some Danish comiks, they are like the u.s. ones, exept they have two stories and tree or four universe profiles in one relese, the only thing they have changed there, to my notice, is that they call the decepticons for bedragere

the dutch comics were the american comics a bi monthly comic with two american issues mushed together and sometimes padded out with universe profiles
and on two occasions heavily edited uk comics ( 188 and 189 i believe )
if you are really interested on how bad the dutch comic was screwed over ill note you
and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
Don't they call him "Optimus Primo" (pronounced "preemoh") in Italy?

I dunno.

Don't know about that, but they call Optimus Primal "Black Jack", for some odd reason. [/useless trivia]
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Grimlock is called "Tiran" in Italy.

The German toys, cartoon and comic characters all retained their US names. The only exception is Devastator, whose name was translated into "Der Vernichter" ("The annihilator") in the German TV dub from 1994 (first German airing of the movie). The toy was still named "Devastator", though, and his name was also left unchanged in the comics and the few cartoon episodes we got.

Okay, we also had stuff like "Autobohts" and "Laserbreak" (!) in the German cartoon dub (and "Laserback" in the new DVD movie dub from 2004), bud that's due to bad pronunciation/misconception of the written names rather than actual renaming. ;)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Only Jawbreaker/Overrbite from the original line, IIRC. Several of the European-only releases had differnt names, as did much of G2.
Wasn't Slag toy's name changed? I think I heard something about that. Or maybe that was Windy joking again... :glance:

I can't get myself to watch Armada on Polish TV, because of changed names and terrible translation (mostly because of that). What's the point of changing Demolisher and Cyclonus into Demolatron and Cyclotron?

Same thing happened in Beast Wars, and to lesser extent in G1 episodes that were released on video tapes.

The names in Marvel comic published in middle 90's were left in their original form. There were 10 issues of Armada published last year, but I haven't read them. It's highly likely they did the same thing what they did in the cartoon.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

well I geus my memory isn't that good Nevermore, but I think evry ones memory would fade after not seeing it in 10 years.

With danish vidioes I made a little mistake, George is just the series name, they are actuly produced by a firm called Salut

Edit: I have only seen those strange namechanges on those DVDs and vidios, I think that there toys were called by there orginal names like in the comic
Darth Shrapnel
Protoform

Post by Darth Shrapnel »

In the mexican dub of G1 everyone kept the same names, but a lot were changed for BW; Rattrap was "RataTrampa", Starscream was "Destello" and Ravage was "Devastador" :eyebrow:, Cheetor was "Cheeta" (I think) and Optimus Primal was "Optimus Primitivo", though they were all changed back to their original names in BM.
"Im drowning in footwear!"
Almighty Galvatron
Protoform

Post by Almighty Galvatron »

From memory, the Italian for Jazz is Tigra
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

In the '80s, GiG, the italian company that imported Transformers toys in our country feared that italian kids would be unable to spell english Transformers names.
Some examples:

Thus, GiG changed most of them.

Autobots became Autorobot;
Decepticons became Distructors.

Optimus Prime became "Commander";
Prow, Pantera (i.e. panther)
Jazz, "Tigre" (i.e. tiger);
Bumblebee, "Maggiolino" (perfect translation ;) );
Starscream, "Astrum" ( "astra", latin for "stars") ;
Laserbeak, "Gufo" (i.e. "Owl");
Rodimus Prime became "Captain".
And so on.

Many Transformers had animal names -.-

But now GiG holds Transformers rights no more. Hasbro Italia has takeon over and Transformers names remain unchanged.
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

I had totaly forgotten about "Autorobots"

that term is mentioned two times with thoes videos again,
once on the cover text on the backside,, and once in "the ultimade doom" where Wheeljacs says somthing about living in an Autorobot factory.

I don't know if that Wheeljack said was an error or a mistranslation
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Wheeljack was "Saetta", that means "chain-lightning". Not an animal name, this time
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Tantrum was Torox too... and I think G2 Motorhead was Bufalo. If we could get a complete list, it'd be the sort of thing that'd be really handy on the main site :)